JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Silky-S3

Thread: VCDS mods

1st Gear

Status

VCDS mods

I have a B8 A4 at the moment and there are a few mods out for this that can be done via VCDS. I'm thinking of things like enabling mirror dip on reverse, Tyre pressure monitor, enabling the parking graphic. Plus there where other things like middle swipe etc.

is there anything that can be done via VCDS yet?
    2014 S3 Sportback 2.0 S tronic - Amalfi White, Alcantara, Alu roof rails, Audi sound, Comfort, Cruise, Folding mirrors, Hold assist, 3yr Service, LED Light Package, SD Sat Nav, Reversible Boot Mat.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Plenty of stuff I think, mirror dip. needle sweep, parking graphic I've all seen mentioned. Seatbelt warnings perhaps too.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    This is a good site to get some idea what you can do.

Use google translation

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Audi A3 8V - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign

1st Gear

Status
    Looks good. We will have to see what people have managed to do. I'm not paying for TMPS but will have for free if it can be enabled, same with graphic for parking.
    2014 S3 Sportback 2.0 S tronic - Amalfi White, Alcantara, Alu roof rails, Audi sound, Comfort, Cruise, Folding mirrors, Hold assist, 3yr Service, LED Light Package, SD Sat Nav, Reversible Boot Mat.

6th Gear

Status
    TPMS is probably doable. It becomes a legal requirment for new cars in a year anyway so I would imagine it could be switched on.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    TPMS could only be switched on if it uses the abs system to monitor the rotation of the wheels. If the TPMS uses valves then it would be doubtful it could just be enabled...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

6th Gear

Status
    I'm pretty sure it uses the ABS system.

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds good then and I hope it can be done...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

6th Gear

Status
    Like I say, they will have known that they will be mandated next year, so probably just did it in software and didn't even bother considering designing a version without them, so it'll be a simple software switch next year when they all come with them.

All speculation of course, but that's what I'd do!

Also, the manual says it has to monitor your driving for 15 mins when you reset them to get used to what an inflated tyre is, which says to me that it's monitoring wheel rotation rather than actual pressure as it would be with special valves.

5th Gear

Status
    RE: TPMS - Does anyone know if the 8V still has a physical button to reset the "pressures" or is it done via DIS?
    This will dictate how successful it would be enabling via VCDS I guess

6th Gear

Status
    It's done in the MMI

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Like I say, they will have known that they will be mandated next year, so probably just did it in software and didn't even bother considering designing a version without them, so it'll be a simple software switch next year when they all come with them.

All speculation of course, but that's what I'd do!

Also, the manual says it has to monitor your driving for 15 mins when you reset them to get used to what an inflated tyre is, which says to me that it's monitoring wheel rotation rather than actual pressure as it would be with special valves.
    It'll only be mandatory on 'type approved' passenger cars, not all new cars. Same as it was for DRL's...

1st Gear

Status
    The way it worked on my A4 deepened on which ABS module was fitted. Some came with the right one, some didn't. I think it was all about what other options you had fitted.

guess we just need someone with VCDS to have a play with a A3!

6th Gear

Status
    Damnit why did I sell my cable?!

I presume the 8V still only needs the CAN cable like the 8P, the HEX isn't required?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    It'll only be mandatory on 'type approved' passenger cars, not all new cars. Same as it was for DRL's...
    Nope, that limitation has already come in (since the A3 I think), it's all new cars full stop from Nov 2014 I think I remember reading. DRLs have a date where all new cars (even old types) have to have them too.

6th Gear

Status
    In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation.
    Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    I'll be plugging mine in on day 1 to see what I can play with!
    c.grex likes this.

6th Gear

Status

Doh, had my dates wrong, thanks for the heads up. I have this on my present car as standard, however I'm glad I didn't add to my options list for my saloon...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Yes, it is wheel rotation based.... There are no sensors in the wheel/tyre.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Maybe somewhat related; my old Passat estate had TPMS fitted - it worked pretty well (got plenty of use, unfortunately). I once went through a patch of oil on a roundabout and could feel the steering pull from side to side as the front wheels scrabbled for grip - that triggered the TPMS system, presumably because it was also wheel rotation based.

6th Gear

Status
    There are two generations of systems called indirect TPMS, I wonder which is used on the A3?

6th Gear

Status
    Anyone around the midlands area with a VCDS cable want to help me enable a couple of things?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors