Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Audi Connect SIM card choices.

6th Gear

Status
    Possibly old news but, in case it's of interest to anyone, you can get EE 4G pre-paid sims with 6GB valid for 90 days for under £17:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Combi-val...ords=ee+4g+sim

I use these in my iPad and they work flawlessly
    phil1824 likes this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    I suspect their biggest worry is the car wifi / tethering potential use. The car using the data I can't see being a problem.

I think I'm going to order a sim anyway and try it in a few of my devices to see how it operates, will give me a feel before my car arrives.
    Hi, what Sim is the best deal and is Audi Connect worth it?
    Phil

5th Gear

Status
    Three 321 PAYG sim (only 1p/mb of data) and yes it's worth it.

Very decent online traffic (far superior to TMC)
    Google map view a bit gimmicky IMHO
    Find local petrol stations with live prices very useful
    Online search function for maps - genius, probably it's best feature. It's just like using google maps on the web when you just search in natural language, then it will direct you there. Just say 'McDonald's' or 'the grand hotel' etc and it just finds them near to you, or add a location on and it searches there.
    phil1824 likes this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    Many thanks for your reply. Have decided to add it to my Spec via "Spec Amend"
    I am currently with Vodafone and they have a deal where you can split your data allowance.. A bit on the expensive side at 13 pounds additional a month, but I currently have 6 gig on the phone which I do not use, so will keep monitoring the forum re how much people use a month and decide what to do in July August when the car arrives.
    Thanks again
    Phil

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    OK

Spent a few hours playing with my new car today when I went over to sign the paperwork.

I can confirm that a Three PAYG sim works perfectly (as we knew) and also gives 4G. Where the garage was in Derby gave a 4/5 signal on 4G and google maps were like lightning - as was street view, petrol prices etc etc. Just for interest, my iPhone 5S gave 32mb speedtest on Three in their carpark.

I can also confirm that the Ovivo Sim DOES NOT work - it will connect to a data profile (ie you get a 3G signal on the bottom right hand corner) but it won't process data. No error message or anything, just it won't work. I can only assume this is because it doesn't flow data until you've viewed a HTML page with adverts on (as it does when you have a tablet). Pity, could have been a perfect solution.

Pic of 4G!

I have just got a 321 pay as you go sim from Three, how do I actually top it up to get the data plan? I do not have a compatible phone to put the sim in so I can't activate that way...any ideas?
    I need to activate and top up before it will work in the car
    Audi S3 Hatchback S-Tronic
    Estoril Blue, Black Styling Pack, Privacy glass, Tech Pack High, Audi Connect, B & O Sound system.

1st Gear

Status
    I've read this complete thread and it is extremely useful. I have just one question about the 321 PAYG scheme which seems to be favoured by most of you. Can it be used for tethering so that the Wi-Fi hotspot feature in Audi Connect can be used?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

1st Gear

Status
    Can't remember if it has already been mentioned already on this thread but I am using a T-Mobile sim which for £20 gives 1gb a month for 6 months.... Can be used for tethering too... And at the end of 6 months you get a reminder which tells you to top up the £20 and activate the package again.... I've had good signal so far... Can't complain at all!
    Using Tapatalk

1st Gear

Status
    What package is this?
    Collection 4 August: Sportback 1.4TFSI COD S-Line, 7-speed S-tronic, Glacier white, Black Nappa leather, Technology with Audi Connect, LED headlights, Storage, No-smoking, Black styling, Driver Assistance including Adaptive Cruise Control, Active Lane Assist, High Beam Assist, Audi Parking System Plus with Park Assist, Audi Sound system, 5 year warranty, Folding & heated door mirrors, Electric lumbar support, Extended mono.pur, Heated seats, Hold assist, Privacy glass.

1st Gear

Status
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/payg/boosters/

6 month internet booster... Just order a standard free pay as you go sim, top up £20, text the phrase to 441 and it is activated.
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    I had a t-mobile sim in mine when I first got the car. Coverage was bloody awful. Three has been great, no problems since!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by glospete View Post
    I've read this complete thread and it is extremely useful. I have just one question about the 321 PAYG scheme which seems to be favoured by most of you. Can it be used for tethering so that the Wi-Fi hotspot feature in Audi Connect can be used?
    Extremely unlikely for 321 PAYG.

it was possible on contract with the One plan though

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    Yes it can, I did this just the other day when I needed to use the iPad to look something up, whilst doing 100mph using ACC and lane assist to keep things "safe".

That last bit was a joke by the way. Yes you can tether.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I had a t-mobile sim in mine when I first got the car. Coverage was bloody awful. Three has been great, no problems since!
    For me so far I have to disagree. T-mobile now uses orange and EE coverage and I find it to be very good. Could just be different in different areas of the uk...?
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    I'm in Nottinghamshire so not far away, and yes I know about them being EE now... I work in the mobile industry Didn't help, Three was still better!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Hi,
    Did you sort this?
    I am having exactly the same issue.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Toadoftoadhall View Post
    Directly related to the issue of the SIM cards plugged in to our cars.

Pg 61 of the brochure and pages within the MMI Nav System Plus car handbook both describe various features available from the SIM in the car.

Firstly that this SIM can also be used for phone calls and texts. I have a phone/txt/data sim in my car as I dont always want to pair my main phone bluetooth. But so far I have not been able to make any calls or texts from my "car sim". I cannit seem to find any settings on the system that I have missed. I have left my main phone out f the car so it doesnt connect to try and force it to use the car sim but nothing.
    Q1. Has anyone actually used their plug in sim for phone calls and texts?

Secondly - when paired with my main phone - I can receive texts in the car and they can be read out, but the text message dictation is not working to enable me to reply. The licence is activated but it keeps saying service is not available. My mobile (5S) has the required message access profile.

Pg 22 of the MMI Nav Plus handbook lists requirements as either an onboard SIM with messaging/data option (which I have) or a bluetooth phone with message access profile which I have. Yet this is not working. Dealer has initially suggested its the iphone 5S issue but the messages should be working anyway through the onboard sim !

Q2 Has anyone used text message dictation via their onboard sim card? or used dicataton with an iphone 5?

1st Gear

Status

Audi Connect SIM card choices.

I can only answer one of the questions. The text feature is not fully implemented by Apple so no go with iPhones. You can have your texts read out but you cannot reply to them from an iPhone.

1st Gear

Status
    Bluetooth will not connect to Text with my iPhone 5 S. It will connect to Handsfree, but not to Text.
    Is this standard??

I can only answer one of the questions. The text feature is not fully implemented by Apple so no go with iPhones. You can have your texts read out but you cannot reply to them from an iPhone.

6th Gear

Status
    You should be able to read the texts at least, but the MAP protocol (bit of RAS syndrome there) in iPhones is incomplete so you wouldn't get all the features like text message dictation (or even replying at all).

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1824 View Post
    Bluetooth will not connect to Text with my iPhone 5 S. It will connect to Handsfree, but not to Text.
    Is this standard??
    It will.

It's a bit faffy, you have to go further into one of the iPhone menus to enable notifications over Bluetooth.

If you do a search on this forum, there are instructions somewhere.

edit:
    here:
    iPhone 5S, videos and text messaging

you might want to go into that thread and leave a post there to help anyone else with an iPhone 5/s/c who also can't figure it out.
    Last edited by veeeight; 14th June 2014 at 07:46.
    phil1824 likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Leegaryhall View Post
    I have just got a 321 pay as you go sim from Three, how do I actually top it up to get the data plan? I do not have a compatible phone to put the sim in so I can't activate that way...any ideas?
    I need to activate and top up before it will work in the car
    I'm in the same position. Picking up in a few days. Does it just work if you throw the card in the car? The oldest phone I can find (and successfully charge...) only accepts smaller sim cards.
    phil1824 likes this.
    Brilliant Red 2014 Audi S3 SB - S-tronic | Comfort pack | Tech pack with connect | B&O | Interior Lighting Pack | Lunar Silver leather | 3D Black Inlays | Aluminium Roof Rails | Anthracite 5 Twin Spoke Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Hi,
    I have the Tech Pack plus connect. I got the 321 package sim from THREE and could not register it on the Three site without it being in a phone. In the end, I went into a THREE store and they kindly put it in one of theirs and I was able to register the SIM and top up.
    When I picked up the car on Thursday, I put the SIM in and was delighted when it immediately worked. I have not done the experiment you are thinking of doing, but I would be very surprised if you have the option to register it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by balsaq View Post
    I'm in the same position. Picking up in a few days. Does it just work if you throw the card in the car? The oldest phone I can find (and successfully charge...) only accepts smaller sim cards.
    balsaq and Redgrouse like this.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for that phil. I've got to pop out soon anyway, so will probably do the same as you then. I'd rather play it safe and have it working for when I get it than be disappointed.
    Last edited by balsaq; 14th June 2014 at 11:50.
    Brilliant Red 2014 Audi S3 SB - S-tronic | Comfort pack | Tech pack with connect | B&O | Interior Lighting Pack | Lunar Silver leather | 3D Black Inlays | Aluminium Roof Rails | Anthracite 5 Twin Spoke Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    Agreed!
    You have made the correct choice going for connect! I love it. Data usage so far has been much lower than I expected.
    Make sure that "Online traffic data" is set to "on". Scroll down and select "Online traffic data licence".
    Have you got your VIN and entered it into MyAudi and set all that up? Do you have your myAudiPIN?
    Do you have an iPhone? Have you downloaded MMI connect? There may be an Android equivalent? Have you set up Picture Destinations?
    I had a bit of a Faff about setting up Facebook and Twitter as Web MyAudi and MMI side of things both expected the other to start the process!
    In the end, once I had the car linked to the myAudi system, then the option to activate FB and Twitter appeared in the Web Version.
    Other things which have been a bit confusing was setting up Music Streaming from the Phone.
    I realised after a while that I had not turned Audio Player ON in Telephone, settings Bluetooth Device management menu.
    Once I did that, the Phone appeared as a Source in the Media area.
    All in all it has been reasonably intuitive and the assistance from this Forum is AMAZING. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask and the amount of assistance is staggeringly good...
    I have just realised that the ability to use the in Car SIM for telephony is not available any more, certainly in my Vehicle. It is not an issue as I would not have used it anyway, but have been spending hours trying all the menus to see if I could get it to work...

Quote Originally Posted by balsaq View Post
    Thanks for that phil. I've got to pop out soon anyway, so will probably do the same as you then. I'd rather play it safe and have it working for when I get it than to be disappointed.
    balsaq and Redgrouse like this.

Neutral

Status
    Can someone please confirm is it just a standard size sim for three 321 pay as you go sim? Thanks
    Delivery 05/2014 Audi S3 3 Door - Monsoon Grey, Lunar Silver Full Leather, Full Tech Pack, Comfort Pack & Full Parking, B&O sound

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wills_1990 View Post
    Can someone please confirm is it just a standard size sim for three 321 pay as you go sim? Thanks
    Think you can get whatever size you want but standard sim for Audi connect
    phil1824 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Wrong, it's the mini SIM. Standard SIM is credit card sized, you won't get that in the MMI!

Neutral

Status
    Although in the real world a standard sim is credit card sized I think 3 call a mini-sim a standard sim. I asked 3 for a mini sim and they gave me a micro-sim.
    phil1824 likes this.

5th Gear

Status

Audi Connect SIM card choices.

Wrong, it's the mini SIM. Standard SIM is credit card sized, you won't get that in the MMI!
    What a nice attitude you have !

On the Three site it's standard, micro and nano so it felt right to tell the guy which sim to order as Three don't name any of the sims "mini" - that just would have been wrong and added confusion.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...Case=obj(6367)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402770414.832862.jpg
    Last edited by The Challinor; 14th June 2014 at 19:27. Reason: added mage

5th Gear

Status
    Oh good god. I haven't seen a full-sized SIM in years (decades) !!!!

Cellnet used to be BT

one2one used to be Mercury, then Cable & Wireless, who have been bought out by Vodafone !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    phil1824 likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    Think you can get whatever size you want but standard sim for Audi connect
    Thank you, the straight forward answer I was looking for.
    Delivery 05/2014 Audi S3 3 Door - Monsoon Grey, Lunar Silver Full Leather, Full Tech Pack, Comfort Pack & Full Parking, B&O sound

Neutral

Status
    Agreed!
    You have made the correct choice going for connect! I love it. Data usage so far has been much lower than I expected.
    Make sure that "Online traffic data" is set to "on". Scroll down and select "Online traffic data licence".
    Have you got your VIN and entered it into MyAudi and set all that up? Do you have your myAudiPIN?
    Do you have an iPhone? Have you downloaded MMI connect? There may be an Android equivalent? Have you set up Picture Destinations?
    I had a bit of a Faff about setting up Facebook and Twitter as Web MyAudi and MMI side of things both expected the other to start the process!
    In the end, once I had the car linked to the myAudi system, then the option to activate FB and Twitter appeared in the Web Version.
    Other things which have been a bit confusing was setting up Music Streaming from the Phone.
    I realised after a while that I had not turned Audio Player ON in Telephone, settings Bluetooth Device management menu.
    Once I did that, the Phone appeared as a Source in the Media area.
    All in all it has been reasonably intuitive and the assistance from this Forum is AMAZING. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask and the amount of assistance is staggeringly good...
    I have just realised that the ability to use the in Car SIM for telephony is not available any more, certainly in my Vehicle. It is not an issue as I would not have used it anyway, but have been spending hours trying all the menus to see if I could get it to work...
    I like my tech, I couldn't say no to be honest! I have indeed set up myaudi as best I can without my car, I'll grab the iphone app asap. I doubt I'll be using music streaming from phone as I'm looking at just having a HD hooked up with all my music, but thanks for the info regardless. No doubt there will be a time when I decide to use it!

Sounds like I could be sitting in my drive for a fair while playing with it all. Think the other half will be wondering where I've gone!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wills_1990 View Post
    Thank you, the straight forward answer I was looking for.
    No problems, my mate has been on the 123plan and had it in the car for just under 6 months, 6,000 miles and only just ran out so data usage ain't too bad at all.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Challinor View Post
    What a nice attitude you have !

On the Three site it's standard, micro and nano so it felt right to tell the guy which sim to order as Three don't name any of the sims "mini" - that just would have been wrong and added confusion.

What's the difference between a standard SIM, micro-SIM and nano-SIM? - Support - Three

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402770414.832862.jpg
    Three have it wrong then, that's not what the specification calls it. Mini is the correct size. Apologies if you thought I had 'attitude', but I wanted to point out an error before anyone did anything based on it (unlikely I know). The fact that Three mislabel their SIM cards puts them in the wrong, not me.

1st Gear

Status
    If the car is built you can get the VIN number
    N. QUOTE=balsaq;2193536]I like my tech, I couldn't say no to be honest! I have indeed set up myaudi as best I can without my car, I'll grab the iphone app asap. I doubt I'll be using music streaming from phone as I'm looking at just having a HD hooked up with all my music, but thanks for the info regardless. No doubt there will be a time when I decide to use it!

Sounds like I could be sitting in my drive for a fair while playing with it all. Think the other half will be wondering where I've gone![/QUOTE]

5th Gear

Status
    Three have it wrong then, that's not what the specification calls it. Mini is the correct size. Apologies if you thought I had 'attitude', but I wanted to point out an error before anyone did anything based on it (unlikely I know). The fact that Three mislabel their SIM cards puts them in the wrong, not me.
    No it's ok now, just assume they are called standard as the original super sized standard is pretty old now so I do see your point.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    Possibly old news but, in case it's of interest to anyone, you can get EE 4G pre-paid sims with 6GB valid for 90 days for under £17:

EE 4G 6GB Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Combi Sim: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I use these in my iPad and they work flawlessly
    Stupid question but have you tested it in the car, it says its for mobile phones only and wont work in tablets or dongles

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to let anyone know who's thinking of a Three 321 SIM..

I had one of these since March this year and it's been working perfectly. It had just got to the point where my initial £10 was running low, so topped up by £10.

I then noticed that data wasn't working in the car, or wifi based access either. Testing on my phone via a browser gave a message saying that the SIM can only be used in a phone. It's right, in a phone it works great, but back in the car it just doesn't work anymore

So seems Three have got a bit more clever, there are a few reports on this but no workaround it seems, strange that it took them 4months before blocking it too!

Neutral

Status
    Yeah, make sure you get a sim that's approved for tablets if you want to avoid any issues.

1st Gear

Status
    If the car is built you can get the VIN number
    N. QUOTE=balsaq;2193536]I like my tech, I couldn't say no to be honest! I have indeed set up myaudi as best I can without my car, I'll grab the iphone app asap. I doubt I'll be using music streaming from phone as I'm looking at just having a HD hooked up with all my music, but thanks for the info regardless. No doubt there will be a time when I decide to use it!

Sounds like I could be sitting in my drive for a fair while playing with it all. Think the other half will be wondering where I've gone!
    [/QUOTE]

Phil I thought you were using the 3 SIM 321 so have you experienced the problems above. Have 3 cottoned on to the fact that you're using it in your car?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinbanshee View Post
    Yeah, make sure you get a sim that's approved for tablets if you want to avoid any issues.
    And which one is best then?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast