Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By First Ever Audi
  • 3 Post By hopeless
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100

Thread: Running in, Servicing and Oil consumption

Reverse Gear

Status

Running in, Servicing and Oil consumption

OK, So I have been reading up on TFSI engines appearing to have high oil consumption issues across VW/Audi range and started to form some thoughts. It seems to be that poor running in and variable servicing are being connected to some later issues with engines. Based on this research I have taken the service plan, despite only doing 8k/year basically because I can opt for the fixed <10k service plan - had I only had the option of the variable I would not have bothered.

If taking the service plan, regardless of annual mileage I think that maybe getting oil changes annually/fixed instead of waiting variable/18k+ miles might actually be the way to go (not for Audi, who I am sure would prefer the variable as you paid up front). This does mean more visits, but I am willing to take the hit if it will result in a more reliable engine - thoughts?

Also and the main drive for the post is what are the thoughts on engine run in - seems that 1st 500-1000 miles are critical (especially to oil consumption and future engine life span) and that constant speeds initially are bad, as are high revs. Variable speed and higher loads (without labouring) for the 1st 500 miles appear to pay dividends for a long and happy car partnership. Does anyone else have info on how best to run in?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Guide lines are old news, just do what you think no labouring, staying away from the red line, engines are built and tested before fitted to your car at max output so don't worry.
    Don't nurse the engine, keep it happy, nail it...

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

6th Gear

Status
    Some say drive it like you stole it
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Indeed I have seen that some advise this, the question is are they also the ones who have issues down the line

A quick Google on TFSI oil consumption is what lead me to this post and the connection to running in and service duration; I know lots of guys on here will keep for 3 years and warranty will take care of any issues so not an issue until you are a 2nd owner I guess.

In general I think that long life service and the resultant excessive wear and tear only show up after years 3+. I am intending to hold for more than 3 years, which is where my interest in this lies.

The modern oil and engine tech I don't buy into completely, nice marketing and good for those who run fleets but for me its just wrong to wait 18k miles to change oil.

No matter how good the engine is manufactured the initial run in results in metal fragments and oil/filter working hard; so run in and early oil filter change is logical as is a fixed service schedule rather than penny pinching on variable - IMHO

Agreed labouring is bad, worse than high revs and a warm engine also good, but these are more day to day ways of using your car.

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    ive done 3000 mles so far, breaking in for about 1500 Miles, no red line , no labouring but some welly! Checked the oil today and it's at the bottom of the stick...i guess i need to go for 1 L of 5W30 Fully Syn to top up
    dieseldoug likes this.
    Now driving: A3 8V Sportback in Glacier White. 1.4 TFSI SE

Interior Light Pack
    Interior Aluminium Elements
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

Free DAB as standard as of April 2013 sure was!!
    Cheerio: 2.0 TDCI Zetec Mondeo (should have been a good car but hasn't )

2nd Gear

Status
    Do not put fully synthetic oil in a new engine!
    2013 Glacier White S3 Sportback S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    Do not put fully synthetic oil in a new engine!

stay with Semi ?????

Interior Light Pack
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    Yup

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    Yup
    This advice is wrong.

Dont mix semi and fully synthetic, use what is currently in the engine.

Do top up using fully synthetic longlife oil as this is exactly what the engine was filled up with from the factory. I think all Audi's are filled with longlife from the factory (please correct if i am wrong on this).

You're given top up oil with the new car, and it will be longlife fully synthetic, as most new engines will use a bit for the first 1000 miles.

But dont ever left the car do 18000 miles before the first service, get it done at 9000 miles.

Longlife oil is fully synthetic, and really good but the VW/Audi longlife regime is IMHO damaging to the longevity of our engines.
    2012 S3 SPORTBACK Panther Black

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeless View Post

Do top up using fully synthetic longlife oil as this is exactly what the engine was filled up with from the factory. I think all Audi's are filled with longlife from the factory (please correct if i am wrong on this).

You're given top up oil with the new car, and it will be longlife fully synthetic, as most new engines will use a bit for the first 1000 miles.

But dont ever left the car do 18000 miles before the first service, get it done at 9000 miles.

Longlife oil is fully synthetic, and really good but the VW/Audi longlife regime is IMHO damaging to the longevity of our engines.
    Agree 100% with everything in this post.

John.
    First Ever Audi likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    This advice is wrong.

I went to the service desk for oil yesterday, and they confirmed what you kindly noted above. All the TFSI have FS put in at the factory, regardless of the service regime (which of course is not defined)

Although it has the Long Life Oil in it, i wont be leaving it for 18K as you say

Interior Light Pack
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm surprised they out fully synthetic oil in a new engine. I was under the impression they'd put semi synth in for the first 10k miles.

And for 20k miles wow. I'll be dropping the oil after 1k never mind 20k. Will be interesting to see what's in the filter aswell.

6th Gear

Status
    What oil does it say to use in the owners manual? I've never changed the oil in any of the new cars I've owned, if it needed to be done, because of warranty issues, then all of the manufacturers would insist upon it, but they don't.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

1st Gear

Status
    Did everyone get a free top-up? I just driven over 1000 miles now and checked to oil and just over half.

If so I'll need to ask the dealer for one.
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

2nd Gear

Status
    I didn't get a top-up bottle of oil with mine either.....

1500 miles and still near top of dipstick (~80%) when checking before first start of the day.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    I've not checked my oil actually. I got used to my old car which told you the oil level in the dashboard display whenever you started the car, guess I should have a look!

I did get a topup bottle with the car though.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    This advice is wrong.

I have had my A1 now for 12,600 miles and it hasn't had its first service or oil change yet! I have mentioned to Audi that surely the oil needs changing and every time they say until the light appears on the dash you dont need to do anything.

Anyone disagree? my New A3 will be coming in the next month and I don't want to make the same mistake!
    Picked Up In December 13! - A3 S Line 1.4 TFSI COD in Brilliant Black , Extras - Privacy Glass, Black Styling Pack, Deletion of Model and Engine, B&O Sound System, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, 18" 10 Spoke Titanium Alloys, Parking Plus, Alcantara Seats

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    I didn't get a top-up bottle of oil with mine either.....

1500 miles and still near top of dipstick (~80%) when checking before first start of the day.

John.
    Bottle of top up oil should be standard, got one with both my last two A3's, and only topped up ca. 100ml after 2300+ mile on my current 2.0TDI

Have you checked in the small netted cubby hole on the left hand side of the boot or under the raised floor or in the right hand side where you can get manual access to the filler cap?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I've checked everywhere and don't seem to have got one. So I'm guessing everyone got one but me.
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Yeah I've checked everywhere and don't seem to have got one. So I'm guessing everyone got one but me.
    Well, two of us but we are definitely in the minority.

I checked all cubby holes too incl spare wheel well. On my last A3 got top up oil with a faux leather bottle holder with Velcro so it could be stuck upright in the boot. However for this one, Dealer is too far away to make it worthwhile dropping in.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    I've doubled checked and nothing.... But I've just emailed my dealer and he said he will try to sort something out. Will get back to me in the next few days.
    On order (June 2013):

Rup
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Got the free 1 litre oil. Fully synth is always the best as they can control the molecule lengths most precisely.
    A3 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
    Scuba Blue
    Lovely grey Alcantara Seats