Sportback - To Wait (longer) or Not?

kmacuk

Reaction score
New to Audi and to this great forum. Currently enduring the wait for my new S-line, which has an ETA of Week 51. My dilemma is: do I wait until January 2014 to register as a '63 plate 2014 or just pickup as an early Xmas present and get a few more weeks of '63 new reg on a 2013 registration year?

I am moving from a 2.2 diesel Civic to A3 S-Line Sportback, Daytona 1.4 COD, (which I actually managed to test drive) compared it against the 150 diesel and 1.4 petrol.

Likely to keep the car for 5\6 years and only doing around 8k/year, so wondering if year of registration makes any difference to end value.

Can't see any difference in resale between a Dec13/63plate and Jan14/63plate. If you were thinking of a feb14/63 vs mar14/14 then i'd wait but as it is, go earliest possible!

Can't see any difference in resale between a Dec13/63plate and Jan14/63plate. If you were thinking of a feb14/63 vs mar14/14 then i'd wait but as it is, go earliest possible!

Agreed. Don't overanalyse things too much, just get it earliest possible and enjoy the extra couple of weeks in it!
And especially after 5/6 years any possible resale difference would be utterly negligible.

Excellent just what I thought, but there was not a consensus in the house - so this is going to help:).

BTW, the COD engine is pick of the bunch for lower mileage drivers in my opinion. Going to miss the Civic diesel torque, which is not as strong in the 150 diesel I drove - higher gearing I guess? The Civics engine has yielded most of its torque/power by 3000rpm. The COD has plenty of refined revs so looking forward to petrol again with the added bonus of lower R/Tax more power and possibly more ecconomy.

Reactions: Fragup
Buy it and enjoy it. I'd hate my car sitting in a soggy water-logged field getting crapped on by birds just because I wanted snob rights...

Excellent just what I thought, but there was not a consensus in the house - so this is going to help:).

BTW, the COD engine is pick of the bunch for lower mileage drivers in my opinion. Going to miss the Civic diesel torque, which is not as strong in the 150 diesel I drove - higher gearing I guess? The Civics engine has yielded most of its torque/power by 3000rpm. The COD has plenty of refined revs so looking forward to petrol again with the added bonus of lower R/Tax more power and possibly more ecconomy.

Agreed as I only do about 4k miles a year, however my 1.6 ecoboost will give me up to 57mpg on a run and I expect the same from the 1.4. Are we not also getting into diesel mpg?

Get it early. Even if you meant the 14 plate, I'd still get the 63 plate earlier with a nearly 4 month difference - waiting 4 months for a new plate is a bit mad IMO, doesn't change the age of the car. If it ends up arriving 2 or 3 weeks before the plates switch then I'd consider waiting, but that's about it.

Apart from the dilemma of collecting your car early; I am in the same boat as you. I too currently drive a 2.2 Civic diesel and now I am a low miler (8-10k), so thought may as well go for the 1.4 COD. I am also looking forward to petrol again. Can't wait for the quiet refined engine and a bit of poke after 3,000 revs! Hope you enjoy your S Line.

Agreed as I only do about 4k miles a year, however my 1.6 ecoboost will give me up to 57mpg on a run and I expect the same from the 1.4. Are we not also getting into diesel mpg?

Would not hold your breath waiting for 57mpg with the 1.4COD unless you are going to drive it at 55mph down hill.

Would not hold your breath waiting for 57mpg with the 1.4COD unless you are going to drive it at 55mph down hill.

With the wind behind and you using a remote control to drive your car instead of sitting in it yourself.

I have ordered C.O.D. And done the research and the average actual MPG is 46 for the vast majority of people, which I think it great for a 140 Bhp for a petrol. And seams to be very consistent, diesels seam to vary far more depending on owners driving style and road use, which surprised me as thought it would be other way round.

I have ordered C.O.D. And done the research and the average actual MPG is 46 for the vast majority of people, which I think it great for a 140 Bhp for a petrol. And seams to be very consistent, diesels seam to vary far more depending on owners driving style and road use, which surprised me as thought it would be other way round.

Agreed. My 2.2 civic returns 46 if I drive it normally and 55 if I drive like Miss Daisy.

I am currently getting 42 - 45mpg from my Civic. Diesels are designed for motorway extended driving at constant spped. If I do this I can get 52-53mpg. The heavy diesel engine is not so keen on shorter start stop variable speed journeys, which is where I see the lighter petrol doing better. Add to this the ecconomy potential of 2 cylinder mode.

My main gain in going COD was better performace. The lower road tax is good and if sitting in queues running two cylinders instead of using the start stop function (which I hate as a rule) is a plus.

I too have read mid 40's is around thel average mpg too, which is similar or better than I currently get plus petrols cheaper :)

My build week is set to week 49 and dealer is advsing week 51 for collection - we'll see if this actually happens or if it moves to 2014 anyway, but picking up as soon as available based on replies here.

There will be a difference.. on the Audi system it will show the projected month on month depreciation (so they can value your px) If this is say £300 a month you can expect larger than this at year change i.e. December to January and then again at plate change time MArch and September. To validate this just take a look at Parkers website or What Car. For me I always try for 1 March to register new cars.

I am currently getting 42 - 45mpg from my Civic. Diesels are designed for motorway extended driving at constant spped. If I do this I can get 52-53mpg. The heavy diesel engine is not so keen on shorter start stop variable speed journeys, which is where I see the lighter petrol doing better. Add to this the ecconomy potential of 2 cylinder mode.

My main gain in going COD was better performace. The lower road tax is good and if sitting in queues running two cylinders instead of using the start stop function (which I hate as a rule) is a plus.

I too have read mid 40's is around thel average mpg too, which is similar or better than I currently get plus petrols cheaper :)

My build week is set to week 49 and dealer is advsing week 51 for collection - we'll see if this actually happens or if it moves to 2014 anyway, but picking up as soon as available based on replies here.

Hi, I think that the modern turbo, direct injection petrol engines are designed to be driven in a similar way what you say about diesels. On a motorway sitting at 70-80mph I can get between 55-58mpg from a 3-cylinder 1.0l ecoboost engine...

I don't see why some don't like the start stop.
Turn it off if u don't likey;)
I think it's great :)

Reactions: cemerson
I'm going to annoy you all and say I drive my audi a3 2.0 tdi 8v like I stole it most of the time and I average 49.9mpg at the minute!
also I turn start stop off and still get good mpg.

i got an average 52.something over 2000 mile round trip in Europe partly in Paris centre and partly doing 120mph on unrestricted autobahn.

Sean