EM TuningAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: S3 - LED lights

3rd Gear

Status

S3 - LED lights

Has anyone specced or found an s3 or even an A3 with LED lights. what are advantages and are they worth the £795?

my S3 spec - any thoughts
    misano red - seen an S3 in audi slough nice colour, aslo saw a white s3 with a pano roof that looked so nice I added the pano roof to my spec
    pano roof
    b&o
    interior led lights - looks cool with the b&o speakers lit up too
    tech pack (non audi connect but may add)
    aluminium roof bars
    comfort pack with parking system plus with assist
    cruise control
    folding mirrors
    privacy glass
    high beam assist

may add
    lumbar support - likely
    through load - unlikely as just wanted the cup holders, lol!
    tech pack with audi connect instead - likely
    led lights - unlikely
    hold assist - not sure, cant see the point in this as the car doesn't rollback anyway - I think
    Last edited by royalsteve68; 29th October 2013 at 22:13.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    Has anyone specced or found an s3 or even an A3 with LED lights. what are advantages and are they worth the £795?
    I will let you know tomorrow night...

3rd Gear

Status
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    Yes please! Up till now most of the discussions have been guesswork based on info from Audi's own website.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Yes please! Up till now most of the discussions have been guesswork based on info from Audi's own website.
    Been driving the 8P S3 for 4 years with Xenons, and another 8P before that for 2 years the same...

I will be able to tell the difference - if there is one....

3rd Gear

Status
    I ordered them.

Full LED baby !

Status
    major positive point for me is that LED light is less tiring than xenon

they are a lit better than xenon in terms of light

and with all the optional extras for the xenons ticked, they are not really that far in terms of prices

plus they look really cool
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyb View Post
    Any news Johnnyb?

2nd Gear

Status
    I ordered for the cool look and for making my s3 even more special.

6th Gear

Status
    Irony is if everyone getting an S3 is getting them (and it seems that way from here) it won't be special!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Full LED baby !

Status
    at the contrary, if everybody is taking them and someone isn't I can guess how hard it would be when it is time to sell it

how many S3 will we see anyway? not much really, it's not a peugeot 208

and we are on a forum, where everyone is really interested in cars, if you do a poll here, I bet almost 50% of the A3 will have the Sline body kit

how many of them do you see in real life ? me, not a lot
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

2nd Gear

Status
    I like the xenon's and have stuck with them, but LED will definitely be alot more exclusive as the 40% of A3's sold are S Line that come standard xenon's, plus a few people that upgrade from standard. Where as I guess LEDs will be less than 10% and are very new, so at least for now will be a bit special.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Irony is if everyone getting an S3 is getting them (and it seems that way from here) it won't be special!
    Well, actually what i meant to say was that I wanted to make sure it looks special in relation to other "normal" a3's not so much in relation to other s3's .

4th Gear

Status
    Any news Johnnyb?
    Hi mate

I posted a mini review of the S3 after to picking it up last night on page 52 in the "2013 S3" thread, have a look, they are immense!

4th Gear

Status
    Sacrilege I know but this tech from BMW looks to be truly revolutionary. It's called lazer light.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383954675.043367.jpg
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

6th Gear

Status
    Can't see all that much difference really... how much are they charging for that system then, to add a miniscule amount of light to the output?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Can't see all that much difference really... how much are they charging for that system then, to add a miniscule amount of light to the output?
    IT HAS FRICKEN LAZZZZZERS that's all that matters!!!

Shut up and take my money!!!!! :D

6th Gear

Status
    Come on now... only BMW drivers fall for that marketing crap, surely?!

1st Gear

Status
    Come on now... only BMW drivers fall for that marketing crap, surely?!
    Hey look... I was brought up with the likes of KITT and James Bond laser cutting watches.

I'll take lasers on my car just so I can say "it has fricken lasers" :D lol
    Artimus, Fragup and paullowther like this.

4th Gear

Status
    I can see a genuine difference in that picture between high beam and lazer. The lazer goes all the way into the distance, considerably further than high beam.
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    I can see a genuine difference in that picture between high beam and lazer. The lazer goes all the way into the distance, considerably further than high beam.
    Yup... I wonder how they stop it from dazzling other drivers tho. Maybe something like the led lights in the a8?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ivicyrusivi View Post
    IT HAS FRICKEN LAZZZZZERS that's all that matters!!!

Shut up and take my money!!!!! :D
    is that the same laser used for the BMW tailgate function

5th Gear

Status
    I can't help but think that it's just too early in the LED headlight journey for me to spend the extra money yet.

Audi have already got a generation 2 in the matrix lights in the new A8 so those will filter down in due course (facelift a3 hopefully!) and this new stuff from BMW proves there is more to come too.

Ive learnt that the tech with the same names doesn't mean it's equal. I have xenons on my mk1 BMW z4 and they are RUBBISH. No where near as good as the first xenons I ever had, an 03 plate mk4 golf gt-tdi. Compare them to the current adaptive xenons on my 11plate MINI and the MINI has the best lights I've ever had, including past history of a range rover vogue, 911 turbo etc etc.

Im just hoping the xenon plus lights in the a3/s3 are decent!
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    I can't help but think that it's just too early in the LED headlight journey for me to spend the extra money yet.

Audi have already got a generation 2 in the matrix lights in the new A8 so those will filter down in due course (facelift a3 hopefully!) and this new stuff from BMW proves there is more to come too.

Ive learnt that the tech with the same names doesn't mean it's equal. I have xenons on my mk1 BMW z4 and they are RUBBISH. No where near as good as the first xenons I ever had, an 03 plate mk4 golf gt-tdi. Compare them to the current adaptive xenons on my 11plate MINI and the MINI has the best lights I've ever had, including past history of a range rover vogue, 911 turbo etc etc.

i think they will be excellent, but will be outperformed by the led as a consequence of the rate of led development recently.....

1st Gear

Status
    is that the same laser used for the BMW tailgate function
    Tailgate laser? No idea about BMW stuff to be honest... Didn't invest enough interest after sitting in the s3

1st Gear

Status
    But the ability to set fire to trees and cars coming the other way surely make it worthwhile?!
    Silky-S3, Fragup and RobH_S3 like this.
    8V S3; Sportback, S-Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Aluminium Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Supersport Seats, Comfort Pack, Technology Pack High, Bang & Olufsen, Folding, Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Extended Mono.Pur, Parking System Plus, Reversing Camera, Rear Side Airbags, Reversible Boot Mat, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Hold Assist

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post

That's an excuse you could always use with technology though.

I wont bother getting a laptop now because in a years time there will be one twice as fast for the same price...
    Louay likes this.

3rd Gear

Status

my S3 spec - any thoughts
    misano red - seen an S3 in audi slough nice colour, aslo saw a white s3 with a pano roof that looked so nice I added the pano roof to my spec
    pano roof
    b&o
    interior led lights - looks cool with the b&o speakers lit up too
    tech pack (non audi connect but may add)
    aluminium roof bars
    comfort pack with parking system plus with assist
    cruise control
    folding mirrors
    privacy glass
    high beam assist

may add
    lumbar support - likely
    through load - unlikely as just wanted the cup holders, lol!
    tech pack with audi connect instead - likely
    led lights - unlikely
    hold assist - not sure, cant see the point in this as the car doesn't rollback anyway - I think
    added 9/11/13
    lumbar support - added
    through load - not added
    tech pack with audi connect instead - added
    led lights - added
    hold assist - added

that's it, no more changes - though im still not 100% sure about privacy glass and whether it makes the car look van like

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDan View Post
    But the ability to set fire to trees and cars coming the other way surely make it worthwhile?!
    not if coming the other way with my s3 fitted with a bazooka

5th Gear

Status
    That's an excuse you could always use with technology though.

I wont bother getting a laptop now because in a years time there will be one twice as fast for the same price...
    i think these are a little different as it's about the tech actually being available to buy. Audi have shown they can do better than the "new" current led on the a3 (ie the new matrix beam a8). From what I've seen and read (lots of German!) I'm not convinced that the led headlight upgrade on the a3 is much better than the xenons with all the trick bits added (but is still another £400 more). I know I'll buy them at some point in the future, for me it will be when there is a night and day difference (get it! )

3rd Gear

Status
    Just experienced the power and effectiveness of the new S3 LED headlights, all I can say is Xenons dead.........!

the light is so natural it pierces the night and compared to xenon, gives superb contrast and effective illumination.

its like a night sun, turns the dark to day...... I pity those that haven't ordered them !
    Johnnyb, Louay and Toadoftoadhall like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    Just experienced the power and effectiveness of the new S3 LED headlights, all I can say is Xenons dead.........!

the light is so natural it pierces the night and compared to xenon, gives superb contrast and effective illumination.

its like a night sun, turns the dark to day...... I pity those that haven't ordered them !
    In what way did you experience them?

3rd Gear

Status
    In what way did you experience them?
    errrr, by driving an led equipped s3.......!!!!!!!!!???????
    Louay and paullowther like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm glad I ordered them
    Louay and paullowther like this.

4th Gear

Status
    Such a cool feature
    Louay likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Such a cool feature
    have you speccd Paul ?

4th Gear

Status
    Oh yes!!
    Louay likes this.

Is loving his new 8V S3!

Status
    Glad I spec'ed them. They look so cool!
    Louay likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post

oh god stop it, I swore I wouldn't change my order again... I think it's too late now anyway as my build date has got pulled forward.

If I don't see them then I won't want them...
    Jeff777LUFC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast