S3 - LED lights

royalsteve68

Reaction score
Has anyone specced or found an s3 or even an A3 with LED lights. what are advantages and are they worth the £795?

my S3 spec - any thoughts
misano red - seen an S3 in audi slough nice colour, aslo saw a white s3 with a pano roof that looked so nice I added the pano roof to my spec
pano roof
b&o
interior led lights - looks cool with the b&o speakers lit up too
tech pack (non audi connect but may add)
aluminium roof bars
comfort pack with parking system plus with assist
cruise control
folding mirrors
privacy glass
high beam assist

may add
lumbar support - likely
through load - unlikely as just wanted the cup holders, lol!
tech pack with audi connect instead - likely
led lights - unlikely
hold assist - not sure, cant see the point in this as the car doesn't rollback anyway - I think

Last edited:
Yes please! Up till now most of the discussions have been guesswork based on info from Audi's own website.

Been driving the 8P S3 for 4 years with Xenons, and another 8P before that for 2 years the same...

I will be able to tell the difference - if there is one....

major positive point for me is that LED light is less tiring than xenon

they are a lit better than xenon in terms of light

and with all the optional extras for the xenons ticked, they are not really that far in terms of prices

plus they look really cool :hubbahubba:

I ordered for the cool look and for making my s3 even more special.

Irony is if everyone getting an S3 is getting them (and it seems that way from here) it won't be special!

at the contrary, if everybody is taking them and someone isn't I can guess how hard it would be when it is time to sell it :readit:

how many S3 will we see anyway? not much really, it's not a peugeot 208

and we are on a forum, where everyone is really interested in cars, if you do a poll here, I bet almost 50% of the A3 will have the Sline body kit

how many of them do you see in real life ? me, not a lot

I like the xenon's and have stuck with them, but LED will definitely be alot more exclusive as the 40% of A3's sold are S Line that come standard xenon's, plus a few people that upgrade from standard. Where as I guess LEDs will be less than 10% and are very new, so at least for now will be a bit special.

Irony is if everyone getting an S3 is getting them (and it seems that way from here) it won't be special!

Well, actually what i meant to say was that I wanted to make sure it looks special in relation to other "normal" a3's not so much in relation to other s3's :).

Sacrilege I know but this tech from BMW looks to be truly revolutionary. It's called lazer light.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383954675043367

Can't see all that much difference really... how much are they charging for that system then, to add a miniscule amount of light to the output?

Can't see all that much difference really... how much are they charging for that system then, to add a miniscule amount of light to the output?

IT HAS FRICKEN LAZZZZZERS that's all that matters!!!

Shut up and take my money!!!!! :D

Reactions: dick wad, Artimus, Doug Piranha and 4 others
Come on now... only BMW drivers fall for that marketing crap, surely?!

Come on now... only BMW drivers fall for that marketing crap, surely?!

Hey look... I was brought up with the likes of KITT and James Bond laser cutting watches.

I'll take lasers on my car just so I can say "it has fricken lasers" :D lol

Reactions: Artimus, Fragup and paullowther
I can see a genuine difference in that picture between high beam and lazer. The lazer goes all the way into the distance, considerably further than high beam.

I can see a genuine difference in that picture between high beam and lazer. The lazer goes all the way into the distance, considerably further than high beam.

Yup... I wonder how they stop it from dazzling other drivers tho. Maybe something like the led lights in the a8?

I can't help but think that it's just too early in the LED headlight journey for me to spend the extra money yet.

Audi have already got a generation 2 in the matrix lights in the new A8 so those will filter down in due course (facelift a3 hopefully!) and this new stuff from BMW proves there is more to come too.

Ive learnt that the tech with the same names doesn't mean it's equal. I have xenons on my mk1 BMW z4 and they are RUBBISH. No where near as good as the first xenons I ever had, an 03 plate mk4 golf gt-tdi. Compare them to the current adaptive xenons on my 11plate MINI and the MINI has the best lights I've ever had, including past history of a range rover vogue, 911 turbo etc etc.

Im just hoping the xenon plus lights in the a3/s3 are decent!

I can't help but think that it's just too early in the LED headlight journey for me to spend the extra money yet.

Audi have already got a generation 2 in the matrix lights in the new A8 so those will filter down in due course (facelift a3 hopefully!) and this new stuff from BMW proves there is more to come too.

Ive learnt that the tech with the same names doesn't mean it's equal. I have xenons on my mk1 BMW z4 and they are RUBBISH. No where near as good as the first xenons I ever had, an 03 plate mk4 golf gt-tdi. Compare them to the current adaptive xenons on my 11plate MINI and the MINI has the best lights I've ever had, including past history of a range rover vogue, 911 turbo etc etc.

i think they will be excellent, but will be outperformed by the led as a consequence of the rate of led development recently.....

But the ability to set fire to trees and cars coming the other way surely make it worthwhile?! :yum:

Reactions: RobH_S3, Fragup and Silky-S3

That's an excuse you could always use with technology though.

I wont bother getting a laptop now because in a years time there will be one twice as fast for the same price...

Reactions: Louay
Has anyone specced or found an s3 or even an A3 with LED lights. what are advantages and are they worth the £795?

my S3 spec - any thoughts
misano red - seen an S3 in audi slough nice colour, aslo saw a white s3 with a pano roof that looked so nice I added the pano roof to my spec
pano roof
b&o
interior led lights - looks cool with the b&o speakers lit up too
tech pack (non audi connect but may add)
aluminium roof bars
comfort pack with parking system plus with assist
cruise control
folding mirrors
privacy glass
high beam assist

may add
lumbar support - likely
through load - unlikely as just wanted the cup holders, lol!
tech pack with audi connect instead - likely
led lights - unlikely
hold assist - not sure, cant see the point in this as the car doesn't rollback anyway - I think

added 9/11/13
lumbar support - added
through load - not added
tech pack with audi connect instead - added
led lights - added
hold assist - added

that's it, no more changes - though im still not 100% sure about privacy glass and whether it makes the car look van like

That's an excuse you could always use with technology though.

I wont bother getting a laptop now because in a years time there will be one twice as fast for the same price...

i think these are a little different as it's about the tech actually being available to buy. Audi have shown they can do better than the "new" current led on the a3 (ie the new matrix beam a8). From what I've seen and read (lots of German!) I'm not convinced that the led headlight upgrade on the a3 is much better than the xenons with all the trick bits added (but is still another £400 more). I know I'll buy them at some point in the future, for me it will be when there is a night and day difference (get it! :undwech:)

Just experienced the power and effectiveness of the new S3 LED headlights, all I can say is Xenons dead.........!

the light is so natural it pierces the night and compared to xenon, gives superb contrast and effective illumination.

its like a night sun, turns the dark to day...... I pity those that haven't ordered them !

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall, Louay and Johnnyb
Just experienced the power and effectiveness of the new S3 LED headlights, all I can say is Xenons dead.........!

the light is so natural it pierces the night and compared to xenon, gives superb contrast and effective illumination.

its like a night sun, turns the dark to day...... I pity those that haven't ordered them !

In what way did you experience them?

Glad I spec'ed them. They look so cool!

Reactions: Louay

oh god stop it, I swore I wouldn't change my order again... I think it's too late now anyway as my build date has got pulled forward.

If I don't see them then I won't want them...

Reactions: Jeff777LUFC