Badger5JMB Retrofits
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: S3 - LED lights

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    errrr, by driving an led equipped s3.......!!!!!!!!!???????
    Fair enough, but since you don't have them on your car you could have been as a passenger, or seeing one coming the other way, or being followed by one, or playing with one in a showroom. Sorry I asked.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    YOU DOWN WITH LED....YEAH YOU KNOW ME!!

4th Gear

Status
    P.S.

Anyone that has spec'd the LED's and then finds oneself on a dark country lane, make sure you have some serious industrial grade sunglasses with you, because if you switch to full beam and there is any speed limit signs in front of you - you are going to go f*****g blind!!

They are that bright!
    Last edited by Johnnyb; 12th November 2013 at 23:44.
    Louay, Scott and Battlekrapz like this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, i have halojen lights (yellow) on my A3 8V and i want headlights with led&xenon a lot, but i wondered where i can find these FULL LED headlights? Only ebay? (I'm from Turkey/İstanbul)

4th Gear

Status
    LED look cool, no doubt, but having spoken to an A3 owner who has them and is unhappy with them I decided to stick with Xenons, perhaps the MKII LED's may be a big improvement. They liked the light colour 5,000K which is daylight but felt that the distance illumination on dark country roads was not so good.
    Steeve

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steeve View Post
    LED look cool, no doubt, but having spoken to an A3 owner who has them and is unhappy with them I decided to stick with Xenons, perhaps the MKII LED's may be a big improvement. They liked the light colour 5,000K which is daylight but felt that the distance illumination on dark country roads was not so good.
    sorry, but I'd have o disagree having driven an LED equipped S3 recently. Their depth penetration and daylight like illumination is phenomenal and the Xenon blue which reduces overall transmission isn't there to "dilute" the light. try searching on light wavelength if you really want to get bored.

The LED's are better than Xenon. Whether they're £775 better is another debate, but they are a beter headlight.

and of course, why didn't the Audi Le Mans cars use Xenon the last couple of years in that case........?

3rd Gear

Status
    Audi R18 TDI: Advantage through LED technology

May 5, 2011

• Five weeks before the 24 Hours of Le Mans
    • Full LED headlights for the new LMP1 sportscar
    • Audi with clear advantage in LED technology

Ingolstadt, May 5, 2011 - Always be at least one step ahead of the opposition - this is Audi’s motto. This is exactly how the Four Rings brand presented the Audi R18 TDI - the first Le Mans sports car featuring headlights comprising entirely of light emitting diodes. As a result, the Audi drivers have a significant advantage at night during the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Audi is regarded as a pioneer in the development of LED technology and leads the competition by a large margin in this field. The twelve-cylinder Audi A8 was the first car in the world to go into production with LED daytime driving lights. The Audi R8 is credited with having the first full LED headlights worldwide. Slowly but surely an increasing number of Audi models are offered with full LEDs as an option, as is the new Audi A6.
    Audi also forces the new headlight technology in motorsport. The Audi R10 TDI was the first race car with LED daytime driving lights in 2006. The Audi R15 TDI, which broke the 39 year old distance record at the 24 Hours of Le Mans last year, was equipped with a combination of Xenon headlights and LEDs.
    Audi goes a step further with the innovative Audi R18 TDI: the new LMP1 is the first Le Mans sports car with full LED headlights. Combined with sophisticated reflector-lens modules, eight high-power light emitting diodes per side provide unique illumination of the race track at night.
    "When you’ve driven once with full LED headlights you don’t want to have anything else," raves Le Mans record winner Tom Kristensen. "The light is stronger and vibrates less than a normal headlight - this is a clear advantage and particularly at Le Mans, a track that has many dark braking points in the night."
    However, not only the greater illumination is an advantage of LED technology. Light emitting diodes are maintenance free and extremely reliable. "The vulnerability to failures is extremely low," explains Dr. Martin Mühlmeier, Head of Technology at Audi Sport. "To date, we haven’t had a single LED failure."
    Thanks to intensive development of the technology, full LED headlights now also represent a weight saving compared to common headlights - particularly as Audi Sport managed to eliminate the electrical cooling of the light emitting diodes still required in street cars and also found last year in the R15 TDI.
    The LEDs in the R18 TDI are cooled by the airflow and still supply enough light even if the cooling airflow is completely cut by dimming themselves automatically. "Our colleagues in production car development are very interested to see how we implement this," says Christopher Reinke, Technical Project Leader for the Audi R18 TDI. "However, we have the advantage in motorsport that the car spends less time at a standstill. On the highway, the lights mustn’t go out even if the car is in a traffic jam."
    Audi Sport worked closely with the AUDI AG "Light and Sight" section during development of the full LED headlights. The light tunnel in the Technical Development (TE) is available for tests. The Audi R18 TDI is credited with a record: It has the brightest diodes currently in use. These LEDs are currently not registered for road use.
    To a limited extent LED technology also requires a completely new approach. The R18 TDI prototype’s main beam, which is comprised of five LEDs per side, is not brighter than the normal low beam. Three extra LEDs create the effect of a high beam by illuminating the track additionally through an individual position of the various reflectors.
    Audi is the first automobile manufacturer to also use the diverse possibilities of light emitting diodes as design element. In the R18 TDI the daytime driving light in the left headlight forms a number "1" which is mirrored on the right side. With this, Audi aims to express its position as number one in LED technology. It goes without saying that the knowledge Audi Sport gains at Le Mans with the latest generation full LED headlights flows automatically into production car development - so that the advantage through LED technology remains.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    sorry, but I'd have o disagree having driven an LED equipped S3 recently. Their depth penetration and daylight like illumination is phenomenal and the Xenon blue which reduces overall transmission isn't there to "dilute" the light. try searching on light wavelength if you really want to get bored.

The LED's are better than Xenon. Whether they're £775 better is another debate, but they are a beter headlight.

and of course, why didn't the Audi Le Mans cars use Xenon the last couple of years in that case........?
    I've ordered LED because they are different and I love new tech, but my expectation is not that they are necessarily "better", and I'd have been equally delighted with adaptive Xenons if they were the only option. I doubt the LEDs in the A3 are as impressive as in the Le Mans cars but I do agree that they are the future!
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

4th Gear

Status
    No doubt, LEd's are the future. But I dont think a comparison between the Le Mans cars and the A3 lights are worthy of discussion.

I have to admit I have no knowledge of the A3 LED's from a personal view (other than very bright mountain bike lights). I wish I had, I'll have to try and get a night time test drive. So I'm happy to bow to those with personal experience.

Before I specced my car I did do some research and managed to find a young lady who has an A3 with the LED lights on. Here comments influenced me greatly, plus I've had Xeneons for years and have had no issues with them. I'd never buy a new car with halogens. But over the years Xenons have improved considerably, I'm sure the same will happen with LED's. As a pensioner I was struggling with value for money and I didnt think the LED's were worth the extra FOR ME.

Thanks for the Audi press release, a most interesting and dare I say 'enlightening' article. Thank you.
    Last edited by steeve; 20th November 2013 at 11:45.
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.
    Steeve

6th Gear

Status
    I'll get LED lights next time when the tech has matured a bit more, extremely happy with my adaptive Xenons for the moment
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12