• 1 Post By Tovs
  • 1 Post By geefunk1978
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100

Thread: S3 Tyres

3rd Gear

Status

S3 Tyres

Hi,
    Now some S3's are turning up, what make of tyre are they coming with?
    Tried to find out from my dealer but he said they could be anything!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I'll tell you in 7 hours! Not that I'm excited....
    Estoril Blue Audi S3 8V Sportback, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Aluminium roof rails

3rd Gear

Status
    The long wait will be worth it pal.
    I ordered mine back end of June and it was built last week, how long you had to wait since it was built for delivery? You trading an 8P S3 in?

Neutral

Status
    I know, but when it's this close it's harder than all the other months! I can almost smell the leather and hear the exhaust note! Ok, ok, maybe it's not quite that bad, but still...

Ordered 24 June from Nottingham Audi, popped in on Saturday and found out that I'd be able to get it today, which was a little surprise. I just got off the phone from arranging the freebie Audi 7 day insurance.

I'm taking my old 2.0T quattro A3 (like to think of it as a baby/starter S3) round to webuyanycar in an hour, after seeing them a couple of weeks back.
    Estoril Blue Audi S3 8V Sportback, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Aluminium roof rails

Banned

Status
    Seems they are mainly Continentals... Need to buy 4 new ones for current car.. Bugger!! Any ideas on best place to buy 4 225/40/18 92 Ys... Bridestone currently but not overly fussed as all 4 need replacing soon.

3rd Gear

Status
    Did you get a good deal with webuyanycar?
    I'm trading mine in with Grimsby Audi, got a pretty good price as I bought my current S3 from there.
    You based in Notts then? I live in Mansfield.

3rd Gear

Status
    I've had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on a few cars and they're really good tyres and not too expensive.
    I run Michellin Pilot Sports on my S3 though, best tyres you could buy for a mid performance car in my opinion.

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by geefunk1978 View Post
    I've had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's on a few cars and they're really good tyres and not too expensive.
    I run Michellin Pilot Sports on my S3 though, best tyres you could buy for a mid performance car in my opinion.
    Agree on the Micheins, if we were keeping the current Tdi I would buy them.

Current best prices for 4 =

Avons £392.78
    Bridestones 449.04
    Dunlop or Gooodyear 454.56 minus £40 petrol voucher offer
    Michelins 489 -40 voucher.

3rd Gear

Status
    Depending how long you're keeping it for I would buy something cheap if it's going soon and if it's only to keep it legal?
    Avons are pretty decent, I've just bought a full set of Cooper Zeon 4XS and Cooper own Avon. Brilliant tyres and because they're a relatively unknown brand they're pretty cheap. £500 for 4 19" staggered tyres is good!!
    Try Camskill, they're cheap for tyres. Although I've got a really good local tyre shop that no one, even internet companies can beat on price.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Agree on the Micheins, if we were keeping the current Tdi I would buy them.

Current best prices for 4 =

Avons £392.78
    Bridestones 449.04
    Dunlop or Gooodyear 454.56 minus £40 petrol voucher offer
    Michelins 489 -40 voucher.
    If u know anyone that has an AA membership u get discount on tyres through them. 2.5% I think.
    Dunlop RT sportmaxx 225/40/18 £110 quid a tyre fitted
    Great tyre, very grippy, quiet,and great in the wet
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    disappointiong IMO that the S3 is specced with Conti's. not a particularly grat tyre but the 4WD masks the inefectiveness of them, albeit the S3 i tested in damp greasy conditions understeered, and in the dry seemed quite neutral. the conti's do brake well though.

i'd prefer Yokohama Advan V105's as I've always liked Yoko's for Summer use as they can be leant on really hard and have a progressive curve at road legal speeds. they are consistent and wear really well too.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    disappointiong IMO that the S3 is specced with Conti's. not a particularly grat tyre but the 4WD masks the inefectiveness of them, albeit the S3 i tested in damp greasy conditions understeered, and in the dry seemed quite neutral. the conti's do brake well though.

i'd prefer Yokohama Advan V105's as I've always liked Yoko's for Summer use as they can be leant on really hard and have a progressive curve at road legal speeds. they are consistent and wear really well too.
    Not had Yoko's for years. Years ago had a 205 GTI 1.9 and fitted Yoko A509's on it, they lasted 3000 miles!!

I wanted the factory to fit Michellin Pilot Sports but unfortunately you don't get a choice of tyre, so I'm guessing it will come with Conti's. Could be worse I guess, could put Nankangs on or something!
    RobbieWebs likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Not had Yoko's for years. Years ago had a 205 GTI 1.9 and fitted Yoko A509's on it, they lasted 3000 miles!!

I wanted the factory to fit Michellin Pilot Sports but unfortunately you don't get a choice of tyre, so I'm guessing it will come with Conti's. Could be worse I guess, could put Nankangs on or something!
    Had the exact set on my 205 GTI 1.9
    The grip was amazing. It went round any corner like it was on rails.
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Even better with some spacers on the wheels
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    Tovs

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Yep they gripped like spunk to a blanket. Very soft though.
    RobbieWebs likes this.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post

Conti SP5 are top 3 in all the tests I've read (Evo mag not that long ago)
    I've had them on my last car and I can see why.

still I don't like the feeling, or the lack of it, but these are great tyres anyway.

michelin PS2 are the same, you need to be on track to really enjoy them

best tyres I had on a normal car were conti SP3, they had less grip but they were so much fun ! screaming like hell in all the bends
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

4th Gear

Status
    A big thing for me will be cabin noise, I heard one of the big brands (i think conti) had just released a new tyre dedicated to reducing noise but I can't really remember.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    A big thing for me will be cabin noise, I heard one of the big brands (i think conti) had just released a new tyre dedicated to reducing noise but I can't really remember.
    Yep it's Continental and called ContiSilent. Only recently launched. Supposed to reduce internal noise by 9dB.

However I don't know if they will be available in mainstream tyre sizes.

John.
    paullowther likes this.
    Enjoying my 8V

Neutral

Status
    Did you get a good deal with webuyanycar?
    I'm trading mine in with Grimsby Audi, got a pretty good price as I bought my current S3 from there.
    You based in Notts then? I live in Mansfield.
    Hey geefunk,

Yea, I'm just in Nottingham itself, but my parents are up Kirkby/Sutton way, so I may well cross your path soon!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davejinx View Post
    I know, but when it's this close it's harder than all the other months! I can almost smell the leather and hear the exhaust note! Ok, ok, maybe it's not quite that bad, but still...

Ordered 24 June from Nottingham Audi, popped in on Saturday and found out that I'd be able to get it today, which was a little surprise. I just got off the phone from arranging the freebie Audi 7 day insurance.

I'm taking my old 2.0T quattro A3 (like to think of it as a baby/starter S3) round to webuyanycar in an hour, after seeing them a couple of weeks back.
    I never understand why people use webuyanycar"forfall" they'll pay you peanuts, id ell it private as youll get in my case 400% more

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by royalsteve68 View Post
    I never understand why people use webuyanycar"forfall" they'll pay you peanuts, id ell it private as youll get in my case 400% more
    I used wewantanycar to get rid of my previous car before I got my A3. I didn't expect to need to; the old car was a low mileage Golf Mk. 6 GT in good condition, sensible colour, FSH and some desirable options. However, I had it in Auto Trader for weeks and didn't get a single viewing, even after reducing the price considerably (I did get a very high number of fraudulent enquiries though). Having spoken to a few dealers I think the issue was that it was a three door which has lower second hand demand. Indeed, it's still advertised on the website of the car supermarket they sold it on to to this day, over two months since I got rid of it.

I would agree though that none of those car buying services would be my first choice!
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

Banned

Status
    Sold a Polo valued at £1400 on WBAC for £2600 easily the day it was advertised on Autotrader!