EM TuningAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

Hill Hold Assist and S-Tronic... anyone?

Hi All

At the moment I haven't added Hill Hold Assist onto the spec of my new S3 S-Tronic but am wondering if I should.

For those of you who have an A3/S3 S-Tronic WITHOUT hill hold assist, does the car hold itself on hills for a few seconds when you take your foot off the brake and go for the accelerator?

We have a golf mk5 gti DSG and it doesn't do this and is irritating.

I don't mind the creep effect of the s-tronic box and would normally sit with my foot on the brake peddle to ensure the start/stop works properly, but then i'm also hoping to use the adaptive cruise quite often in stop/go traffic so would probably turn the start/stop off in that scenario.

Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

3rd Gear

Status
    As arad85 says, that thread will give you all you need. Besides the hill hold function, just the general hold function that it gives looks useful enough that I do regret not ordering it, but by the time I was convinced it was probably too late if I wanted to avoid risking my build date.
    I say add it to your order now!
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

Neutral

Status
    I don't have it and its fine, I actually quite like the way it operates without it. However, it's only £90, so it could be worth adding while you have the opportunity so its there if you want it.
    A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI S-Line S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Alum Roof Rails, Tech pack, Comfort pack, Adaptive cruise, Int light pack, Audi sound, DAB, Folding mirrors, Reversable luggage mat, 5yr warranty.

3rd Gear

Status
    Here is a a post I put on another thread about Hold Assist and S-Tronic with Start Stop, just thought share it with you

With Hold Assist turned off.
    The car will cut out as you hold the brake and restarts as you lift off the brake (just as it does if you hadn't specced it) then when you park put the car in P and turn on the hand brake.

With Hold Assist switched on.
    Pull to a stop and the car will cut out, lift your foot off the brake and the car will stay put and engine will stay off, when you need to pull away just put your foot on the throttle engine starts and off you go.
    The engine restarts I'm milliseconds but if you can anticipate pulling away and want instant response (ie pulling onto a roundabout or a T junction) either turn off start stop as you approach or once cut out lightly touch the throttle or press down again on the brake and the engine will cut back in and hold assist will still be on.
    When parking as soon as you open the door or release your seatbelt the car will swap from hold assist to handbrake automatically, so no need to ever touch the handbrake.

If you turn hold assist on or off the car will remember the last state it was in, so don't like it turn it off and it will be like you never had it and all you have done is lost £90. But if you do like it (and you will) you will realise it was £90 well spent. Why it isn't standard I don't know?

I hope that is a good enough explanation of how HA and S-Tronic works together as I didn't know either until the day I collected the car
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear then - if I stop on a hill with hold assist off and keep my foot on the brake, then move my foot to the accelerator, does the car hold the car on the hill for a second or two while I get the gas down on the accelerator or does it roll back slightly?

Clearly it wouldn't have rolled back with hold assist on I assume?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear then - if I stop on a hill with hold assist off and keep my foot on the brake, then move my foot to the accelerator, does the car hold the car on the hill for a second or two while I get the gas down on the accelerator or does it roll back slightly?

Clearly it wouldn't have rolled back with hold assist on I assume?
    This is correct. I believe the car will hold the brakes for up to 3 seconds giving you time to swap from the brake peddle to throttle peddle without Hold Assist or with it turned off.

With hold assist on the brakes will stay on indefinitely
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

5th Gear

Status
    Perfect - thanks.