Hill Hold Assist and S-Tronic... anyone?

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi All

At the moment I haven't added Hill Hold Assist onto the spec of my new S3 S-Tronic but am wondering if I should.

For those of you who have an A3/S3 S-Tronic WITHOUT hill hold assist, does the car hold itself on hills for a few seconds when you take your foot off the brake and go for the accelerator?

We have a golf mk5 gti DSG and it doesn't do this and is irritating.

I don't mind the creep effect of the s-tronic box and would normally sit with my foot on the brake peddle to ensure the start/stop works properly, but then i'm also hoping to use the adaptive cruise quite often in stop/go traffic so would probably turn the start/stop off in that scenario.

Any thoughts?

As arad85 says, that thread will give you all you need. Besides the hill hold function, just the general hold function that it gives looks useful enough that I do regret not ordering it, but by the time I was convinced it was probably too late if I wanted to avoid risking my build date.
I say add it to your order now!

I don't have it and its fine, I actually quite like the way it operates without it. However, it's only £90, so it could be worth adding while you have the opportunity so its there if you want it.

Here is a a post I put on another thread about Hold Assist and S-Tronic with Start Stop, just thought share it with you ;)

With Hold Assist turned off.
The car will cut out as you hold the brake and restarts as you lift off the brake (just as it does if you hadn't specced it) then when you park put the car in P and turn on the hand brake.

With Hold Assist switched on.
Pull to a stop and the car will cut out, lift your foot off the brake and the car will stay put and engine will stay off, when you need to pull away just put your foot on the throttle engine starts and off you go.
The engine restarts I'm milliseconds but if you can anticipate pulling away and want instant response (ie pulling onto a roundabout or a T junction) either turn off start stop as you approach or once cut out lightly touch the throttle or press down again on the brake and the engine will cut back in and hold assist will still be on.
When parking as soon as you open the door or release your seatbelt the car will swap from hold assist to handbrake automatically, so no need to ever touch the handbrake.

If you turn hold assist on or off the car will remember the last state it was in, so don't like it turn it off and it will be like you never had it and all you have done is lost £90. But if you do like it (and you will) you will realise it was £90 well spent. Why it isn't standard I don't know?

I hope that is a good enough explanation of how HA and S-Tronic works together as I didn't know either until the day I collected the car ;)

Reactions: The Challinor
Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear then - if I stop on a hill with hold assist off and keep my foot on the brake, then move my foot to the accelerator, does the car hold the car on the hill for a second or two while I get the gas down on the accelerator or does it roll back slightly?

Clearly it wouldn't have rolled back with hold assist on I assume?

Thanks for the info.

Just to be clear then - if I stop on a hill with hold assist off and keep my foot on the brake, then move my foot to the accelerator, does the car hold the car on the hill for a second or two while I get the gas down on the accelerator or does it roll back slightly?

Clearly it wouldn't have rolled back with hold assist on I assume?

This is correct. I believe the car will hold the brakes for up to 3 seconds giving you time to swap from the brake peddle to throttle peddle without Hold Assist or with it turned off.

With hold assist on the brakes will stay on indefinitely ;)

Here is a a post I put on another thread about Hold Assist and S-Tronic with Start Stop, just thought share it with you ;)

With Hold Assist turned off.
The car will cut out as you hold the brake and restarts as you lift off the brake (just as it does if you hadn't specced it) then when you park put the car in P and turn on the hand brake. etc.

Hi 97Catalunya,
I am new to this forum and have appreciated your description of HHA, Start / Stop and S Tronic. I have a 6 week old Q3 S Line with the HHA option, Start / Stop and S Tronic. For a short period, my HHA operated as you described, and I found it very useful. Now I find that if HHA is selected, Start / Stop no longer operates. Has yours continued to operate as you described ? Have you had any problems with it? Also, I believe that when it was operating correctly, I had a green P symbol in the dash display. I have a fuller description of the problem at:

Disappearing Green P (Parking) Lamp with Hill Hold - Audi Q3 Forums

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks
Geoff

This is correct. I believe the car will hold the brakes for up to 3 seconds giving you time to swap from the brake peddle to throttle peddle without Hold Assist or with it turned off.

With hold assist on the brakes will stay on indefinitely ;)

I'm currently waiting for my build date, but haven't spec'd HHA to go with the Stronic and AAC. On the basis I frequently left foot brake, I'm thinking it's an unnecessary addition. Also, surely although not a true automatic system, won't the Stronic creep or at least provide a bit of hold on moderate slopes?

I'm currently waiting for my build date, but haven't spec'd HHA to go with the Stronic and AAC. On the basis I frequently left foot brake, I'm thinking it's an unnecessary addition. Also, surely although not a true automatic system, won't the Stronic creep or at least provide a bit of hold on moderate slopes?

Hill Hold Assist is standard on all A3s with s-tronic. This is the function that holds keeps the braking force is maintained for a moment in order to hold the vehicle and make it easier to drive away.

Hold Assist is the £90 option that helps the driver if the vehicle is stationary for a long time or very often, for instance at traffic lights, on steep gradients or in stop-and-go traffic. This function is switched on using the switch next to the parking brake.

I have Hold Assist on my A3 but I leave mine switched OFF all the time. If I am going to be stopped for a while I prefer to use the parking brake and it does not leave my brake lights on all the time I am stopped and it also allows me to use the 'creep' of the s-tronic when I want to, for example when I'm putting the car in the garage.

Reactions: CaesarBob
As I've said before, hold assist is a very useful feature and I actually liked it on a loaner I had - it's just blemished badly by the idiotic decision of Audi to have the brake lights lit all the time it's activated, potentially blinding the poor guy behind you.

I'd literally have specced it on my next car if it wasn't for this failing. I just couldn't in good conscience use it at night knowing I was blinding the guy behind me with the LED brake lights - they're painful to sit behind.

Reactions: h5djr
As I've said before, hold assist is a very useful feature and I actually liked it on a loaner I had - it's just blemished badly by the idiotic decision of Audi to have the brake lights lit all the time it's activated, potentially blinding the poor guy behind you.

I'd literally have specced it on my next car if it wasn't for this failing. I just couldn't in good conscience use it at night knowing I was blinding the guy behind me with the LED brake lights - they're painful to sit behind.

Not this again about the lights being on........

Staying on topic - it's a great feature. I leave it on all the time and it works so well that don't even notice it's there working in the background. When it's not on its noticeable. It's a good feature and does ease driving just that little bit. Worth the cash.

Hold assist an the s-tronic is a dream combination.

Leave the car in gear come to a full stop the green brake light appears on the dash and the rear light come on. Dont touch the brake, when I need to set off I press the accelerator and of the car goes.
If its night or I'll have a car behind me for a while, I tap the ebrake button up, and the green light goes to red and the lights go off. Still having not touched the pedal and the car is still in D gear.

Also having the hold assist the ebarke automaically goes on when the car stop and you pop the seatbelt off or open the door. One less thing to think about, although of course with the stronic, you cant take the keys out of the car until its in P.

With the Stronic if you dont have the hold assist you have to put the car into P. And who actually want to use the gear stick at all in an automatic, nobody really wants the hassle of setting of at traffic lights and having to press brake, change from P to D to S to M then take foor of the brake and press the accelerator.

Why not leave it in gear, press the Ebrake if you like the brake lights of and when you want to drive just drive.

Reactions: The Challinor
Not this again about the lights being on........

Staying on topic - it's a great feature. I leave it on all the time and it works so well that don't even notice it's there working in the background. When it's not on its noticeable. It's a good feature and does ease driving just that little bit. Worth the cash.

It's perfectly on-topic for a thread about hold assist and I'm entitled to my opinion. If you don't give a toss about blinding people behind you at night then that's your prerogative. I have more consideration.

Reactions: CaesarBob
It's perfectly on-topic for a thread about hold assist and I'm entitled to my opinion. If you don't give a toss about blinding people behind you at night then that's your prerogative. I have more consideration.

That reply was exactly what I mean......I didn't give an opinion either way. It's been debated to death and got quite heated. The side effects of using it could be on or off topic. Not sure I care really. Let's just leave it.

It's a great feature. As I say - worth the cash.

Sorry if I jumped on you a bit there, I just took your "not this again" comment to be a bit beligerant or adversarial is all.

You're right that I've said it all before, I was just reiterating because I feel strongly about it but I'll shut up now :)

Reactions: Helifella and Pulp84
That settles it for me then.

Been thinking of amending my order anyway to include Nappa Leather & mon.pur, looks like I'll be also adding Hold Assist and Interior Light Pack for good measure! :thumbsup:

That settles it for me then.

Been thinking of amending my order anyway to include Nappa Leather & mon.pur, looks like I'll be also adding Hold Assist and Interior Light Pack for good measure! :thumbsup:

The three options you mention (HHA, mono-pur and the light pack) really do add to the premium feel in my book. Can't go wrong.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, DescendDescend and glospete

Don't see what the problem is, you can still use the handbrake to make the brake lights switch off after HA has cut in...

Reactions: DescendDescend, MA3RC and cemerson
If you even consider it an issue. I have never myself been annoyed by brake lights being left on in a queue in front of me... and I'd like to think that if they were intelligent enough to get a licence then they'll be intelligent enough to just not stare into the brake lights!

Reactions: MA3RC
With the Stronic if you dont have the hold assist you have to put the car into P.

Actually, I'd advise against moving the gear selector into "P". This usually gives the driver in the queue behind kittens, as he/she sees the flash of white reverse lights illuminating on the car in front.

If I'm at a set of lights that I know is going to be longer than 30s - I nudge (no need to press the interlock) the lever one position forward into "N", and usually flick up the EPB button.

Sidenote: Hill Hold is standard fit on all A3/S3, both S-tronic AND manual.
It will hold you on an incline for 3 seconds, while you get from the brake to accelerator.

I don't think there's any need to slip the s-tronic into N.

It feels to me like drive is disengaged when you flick the EPB, so effectively the same as N.

I don't think there's any need to slip the s-tronic into N.

It feels to me like drive is disengaged when you flick the EPB, so effectively the same as N.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you might be right. It's certainly the case that if you are using ACC in traffic and are waiting for a while you can just pull the parking brake switch up. No need to move the lever, touch the brakes or anything.

Yeah I'm not getting into the whole brake lights thing again.

Regardless of individual views on the matter though, you have to admit it's very inconsistent from Audi. The manually operated parking brake doesn't leave the lights lit but the automatically applied assist one does - make your flippin' mind up Audi! :p

Reactions: h5djr and dstama
It's best to think of hold assist as automatic foot brake, not automatic hand brake.

Sidenote: Hill Hold is standard fit on all A3/S3, both S-tronic AND manual.
It will hold you on an incline for 3 seconds, while you get from the brake to accelerator.
Can you expand on that comment? Is this something different from Hold Assist, which is a £90 option?

As standard, if you're on an incline with your foot on the brake, when you release it the car will hold itself for a short period (it's not 3 seconds, more like 1-1.5).

It's designed to give you time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator and then move away, as you can't do a normal hill-start without a mechanical handbrake lever and is thus necessary.

The full hold assist option basically does the same thing but whenever you come to a stop (not just on an incline) and holds the car indefinitely.

Reactions: Leebroath and steverobertsbbc
^ As above.

Hill Hold works in conjunction with the longitudinal sensor (pitch) to prevent rollback on inclines.

VW says it will hold for 2 seconds, but I must have tweaked mine to hold for longer !

As others have said we all have our opinions on keeping braking lights on when we are stopped. But we've done that one to death in the past.

My main reason for not using Hold Assist on my A3 is that, having driven A3's with s-tronic for 10 years I am used to and prefer the way the car 'creeps' when Hold Assist is off. If I'm in a situation when I don't want the car to creep I just click the parking brake switch. When I want to go again I just need to press the throttle pedal. This is much better than on my previous A3. When I use creep mainly is when I put my car into the garage. My garage is not that big and my A3 only just fits so when I entering the garage I control the movement by just using the brake pedal. With Hold Assist switched on I would have to press the throttle and the car moves forward too quickly to start with. With Hold Assist off it just creeps forward very slowly.

Reactions: Leebroath
Worth noting you can stop the car without engaging hold assist if you use a light touch on the brake pedal, so parking creep is still possible. There are effectively three positions for the brake pedal: lightly pressed just holds you on the brakes as normal, a bit firmer will engage hold assist, firmer still will engage start/stop.

Worth noting you can stop the car without engaging hold assist if you use a light touch on the brake pedal, so parking creep is still possible. There are effectively three positions for the brake pedal: lightly pressed just holds you on the brakes as normal, a bit firmer will engage hold assist, firmer still will engage start/stop.

In theory yes, but in practice it's not quite so easy to stop Hold Assist engaging. Personally I prefer to switch Hold Assist off and use the parking brake. After all clicking a switch is still easier than using the 'old fashioned' hand-brake and you don't need to do anything to release it and importantly for me, the brake lights do not stay on.

Apart from pushing the start/stop button is it easy enough to brake and engage hold assist but avoid stop/start cutting in?

Apart from pushing the start/stop button is it easy enough to brake and engage hold assist but avoid stop/start cutting in?

Yes I do it all the time, start/stop requires a firm push on the brake when you're stopped, if you release the brake when hold assist kicks in you won't get stop/start. Also you can restart the engine with the throttle pedal without releasing hold assist if you give it a quick tap.

Well, i hope you guys are right, i have now amended my order for the third and hopefully final time to include HHA! :ohmy:

HHA - HILL HOLD ASSIST is standard on A3s.

HOLD ASSIST is the extra cost option (code UH2 - £90) which has different functionality.

If you have paid for the option it will be HOLD ASSIST which if you are not keen on when you get the car you can easily switch it OFF. The standard HILL HOLD ASSIST cannot be switched OFF.

Trust Audi to confuse things by giving the two system very similar name. I think even they get in wrong on some of the pages of their website.

Reactions: cemerson
I'm sure VCDS will deactivate HHA as i've turned the feature on recently on my 8P.