8V S3 Tuning Thread

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Comrades!

i thought it was worth creating a thread for those interested in tuning their new S3's, whether it's engine performance or cosmetic mods etc...

I'm interested in having mine remapped, i have done this on my 2 previous S3's and it really is how the car should come out of the factory, and after reading ABT in Germany have gotten 370bhp from a stage 1 remap - it seems this new S3 is going to be a very interesting and capable engine indeed!

It's obviously early days and i believe most of the tuning companies are currently developing software e.g. REVO, GIAC, APR...

If anyone hears any tuning news, or cosmetic enhancement products - post them here!

Cheers!

Reactions: Col Simpson and Audimad
My god that's some extra horses for just a simple stage 1 remap.

My old 996 911 turbo 'only' had 420hp..

My god that's some extra horses for just a simple stage 1 remap.

My old 996 911 turbo 'only' had 420hp..

Yep, there is a member here called Silky S3 who told me some tuners in Germany have gotten 450bhp out of the new S3, now that power on a car as light as this will be supercar territory!

i'm hoping to get 350-360bhp which might mean adding an air intake and exhaust, this will put it up there against the new Merc A45 AMG and RS3's...

The standard power will be enough for alot of people on here, but for around £500 a remap really does bring the car to life...

Reactions: Louay
Personally, 300bhp will probably be more than enough for me in our nation of hand held speed cameras hidden behind trees. Would be more than happy with a revo stage one though and would be a shame not to have it done, the abt is a stage 1 at £2k for 370bhp surely revo's will be considerably less but what gains would one expect? 330, 340bhp?

Reactions: Gazd99
The old K04 EA113 had a factory tune ranging from 240bhp in a Mk5 Golf Edition 30 to around 270bhp in the S3/TTS. With just bolt on modifications like an intake, downpipe, exhaust and Stage 1 remap, you were able to increase power to around the 320bhp. The further addition of a modified high pressure fuel pump and required Stage 2 remap took that up to 350-360bhp. The costs to achieve this was around the £2,500 inc. VAT and fitting.

ABT are a large tuning company whose target market are those that assume paying more guarantees you receiving a superior product to a tuning companies which are run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, which is often not the case. They do tend to be the first to market with products when new cars are released but my understanding is they have links with Audi and VW which allows them to get hold of new cars very quickly once they go into production.

Until more S3s start hitting the road and tuning companies get time with these cars to develop products, it's all a guessing game. This new engine is quite a bit different to it's predecessor so the limits that held the old S3 back may well be different to this new car. The K03 EA888 found in the Mk6 Golf GTI is somewhat more similar to this new S3 engine and that responds very well to just a stage 1 remap, adding a solid 50bhp for circa £300; I would assume that this would be a fair and reasonable expectation.

This "new S3 engine" is very important to the VAG tuning community as it will most likely find it's way into the new Mk7 Golf R and the Mk3 TTS (amongst others) therefore companies like APR and Revo will be wanting to make sure they have products ready to market when these cars start hitting the street. This engine will most likely be around for the next 5 years at least so tuners will easily see return on their initial development costs.

Louay - yeah the Revo and other off the shelf maps will probably be around the 40-50bhp increase mark, i need to look into the ABT one as 70bhp increase seems a little odd for a usual stage 1 remap, and the cost seems to suggest that there must be additional tweaks to get that figure. The guy from GNJ Motorsport that posts on here might be able to clarify this? Also, i think just a stage 1 350bhp will be incredible in this car!

pat - thanks for the informative reply, makes alot of sense, i'm even tempted to let Awesome GTI and Stattler in Sheffiled have my car to run some tests on if needs be...

Then again, by the time i run the car in at around 3K miles there may well be some products on the market.

Got a feeling this engine is going to be quite special for tuning!!

If Audi approve any tuning and allow it to be carried out and not affect the warranty provisions then I might consider it.
if they don't I won't.

Reactions: SmileyS3
Personally 300hp is already enough of a license killer... Doubt I'd touch it, tho this may change in the future lol ;)

Looks wise... I'd love to get a honeycomb Quattro grill like on the rs6!!!!

Reactions: PilotAudi
If Audi approve any tuning and allow it to be carried out and not affect the warranty provisions then I might consider it.
if they don't I won't.

I do remember on the 8P forum that certain Audi dealerships actually offered an ECU remap service, and also, if you can put up with the small hassle, most of the top end tuning companies offer handheld devices in which you can remove the map when the car is in for a service, and most are undetectable. I have had both REVO and GIAC on previous S3's and never had any problems with the dealerships when using such devices.

Personally 300hp is already enough of a license killer... Doubt I'd touch it, tho this may change in the future lol ;)

Looks wise... I'd love to get a honeycomb Quattro grill like on the rs6!!!!

Agree on the grill, i think Audi have been a bit lazy on the front end of this new S3, but of course this is most likely due to the fact that the future 8V RS3 will be reserved for much more aggressive / sporty styling.

Regards to the remap, trust me that as soon as you give a remap "trial" a chance (which most tuning companies offer for several hours) you will snap their hand off for the full fat version...

I too used to be skeptical about remaps and tuning, but these days, a stage 1 remap on a new car for me is par for the course..

Comrades!

i thought it was worth creating a thread for those interested in tuning their new S3's, whether it's engine performance or cosmetic mods etc...

I'm interested in having mine remapped, i have done this on my 2 previous S3's and it really is how the car should come out of the factory, and after reading ABT in Germany have gotten 370bhp from a stage 1 remap - it seems this new S3 is going to be a very interesting and capable engine indeed!

It's obviously early days and i believe most of the tuning companies are currently developing software e.g. REVO, GIAC, APR...

If anyone hears any tuning news, or cosmetic enhancement products - post them here!

Cheers!

Hi guys

Am expecting s3 around march next year down under here. Have rung local tuner to enquire about a tune and had a good chat. He told me that VAG has gone with Siemens ecu instead of Bosch hence the entire tuning process must be rehacked and analysed. He does custom tunes as well as superchip.

So it looks like it make take a little bit of time before reasonably priced tunes start popping up...

And you will loose your warranty for the engine and drivetrain.
It will trigger the TD1 flag in the ecu
VWVortex.com - TD1 warranty flag

And there is noway to go back once it has been triggered. Does not help to put original SW in the ecu.

Just a heads up :)

And there is noway to go back once it has been triggered. Does not help to put original SW in the ecu.

Hmmm...

Looks like the tuning companies are going to have their work cut out with R&D...Having said that, there is going to be a lot of money to be made for them on this new engine platform, so it's gonna be in their best interests to try find a way around it, I believe REVO have already got a Beta file they are testing...

It's a shame Audi are clamping down so much on this, they could potentially lose sales in the future if they end up making it too difficult, as remaps on new cars are becoming increasingly popular.

Sameatworld - did this local tuner say that he is working on getting around that problem?

reading this topic it seems you can go back to where you had your car tuned, ask for them to put the original tune and then go to the dealer without problem

just have to be smart

Mmm, that screenshot is of a Golf in Hawaii, so it may not apply here to Audi's. However, if this is true, then the best bet is to wait until your cat is into it's 2nd year of warranty and then go to a respectable ecu remap company that also offers a one year mechanical warranty against any mechanical defects caused by the remap.
As far as going back to the original map is concerned, I'd always use my own device, then there is no extra charge...

All VAG (siemens) ECUs has this "feature". Doesn't matter if it is an VW or Audi. Any modification can flag this TD1 (not TDI :sm4: )

Hmmm...

Looks like the tuning companies are going to have their work cut out with R&D...Having said that, there is going to be a lot of money to be made for them on this new engine platform, so it's gonna be in their best interests to try find a way around it, I believe REVO have already got a Beta file they are testing...

It's a shame Audi are clamping down so much on this, they could potentially lose sales in the future if they end up making it too difficult, as remaps on new cars are becoming increasingly popular.

Sameatworld - did this local tuner say that he is working on getting around that problem?

The tuner said that he is waiting for his European colleagues to come up with something as the s3 is yet to be released in Australia. He couldn't give me a timeline. But thought that bigger companies like APR, Superchip would have them first...

Ill be getting a map for sure, probably some h&r springs and the competition haldex controller by HPA and a subtle exhaust by BCS with black tips.

370hp from a map is very good and ABT are normally pretty conservative with their figures, the extra money you pay for their products is mainly for the warranty support.

Reactions: TahirS
Good to see more people getting on board with tuning their S3's! The 8P was a brilliant car to tune, so this will surely be better...

I'm interested in what people think of what moffe posted regarding the TD1 warranty code, will it deter anyone? that particular link was to an American forum, so not sure if that makes any difference to how Audi operate over here at all?

I wonder if any of the tuning companies are going to find a way around this? I personally have never had any dealership problems with my 2 previous mapped S3's, the dealers up here seem really cool...

RobH_S3 - what company do you plan on going with? Looks like me and you are in the minority on here with our Glacier SB's, not a bad thing at all!

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes mate very few Glaciers on here and tbh none of the other colours interested me at all apart from monsoon but im bored of dark moody looking cars so went with something brighter.

The td1 i doubt will be a problem, clearly the tuners know about it and will map around it. Just like the new encripted ecu's which made tuning through the obd port a nightmare, the tuners always find ways around it. Its a popular engine and will be used in a lot of cars over the next 5-6 years so they will come up with something!

The tune i will use, well i use stattlers and have done for the last 4-3 years so will have a chat with them and see whats what but probably Gaic or Revo. Doubt ill go APR the closest dealers Awesome gti and dont have any time for that lot!

Reactions: t5hny
Yes mate very few Glaciers on here and tbh none of the other colours interested me at all apart from monsoon but im bored of dark moody looking cars so went with something brighter.

The td1 i doubt will be a problem, clearly the tuners know about it and will map around it. Just like the new encripted ecu's which made tuning through the obd port a nightmare, the tuners always find ways around it. Its a popular engine and will be used in a lot of cars over the next 5-6 years so they will come up with something!

The tune i will use, well i use stattlers and have done for the last 4-3 years so will have a chat with them and see whats what but probably Gaic or Revo. Doubt ill go APR the closest dealers Awesome gti and dont have any time for that lot!

Yeah i know Steve at Stattler's quite well, knows his stuff so i might pop down soon and see what he has got to say about the new engine and GIAC software...i wonder if he is still driving that white Golf ed30? Ridiculous machine!!

i found both the REVO and GIAC maps on the 8P to be very similar, so definitely going with either one, the after care Steve provides may swing it to GIAC for me though, i don't know any REVO dealers well unless you can recommend any in the north?

EDIT - Just realised Stattler are now a REVO dealer too! Great news to have the choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Revo Steve-W
I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. One of the reasons I have bought the S3 is so we can be the first to bring stuff out for it if we can send it off to various places to be used for development :)

ABT are usually pretty conservative with power so 370PS seems easily achievable on the new S3. I'd expect 'stage 3' figures to be well in excess of 400 BHP. We are going to study the engine soon when we get some time to sit down and plan from there what we think will work well tuning wise.

I'm just waiting for H&R to sort some springs out, hopefully in time for mine being delivered :)

Reactions: Silky-S3
What would the effect of 370bhp be on my Insurance, Fuel Economy and Audi warranty?

What would the effect of 370bhp be on my Insurance, Fuel Economy and Audi warranty?

Your warranty will be invalid if they look on your ECU.

You should get a slightly better fuel economy but quite often you don't as a map makes you drive it faster and harder :)

Insurance should always be notified, cost depends on the insurer.

GNJ - Glad to have someone like you on board! and it's going to be interesting to see how things develop with the various tuning companies..

Just to pick up from what Pilotaudi was saying - what are the chances the major tuning companies develop another type of switching device like Revo's select plus to switch the ECU back to stock?

Now I know there is a lot of talk about whether them devices ever actually worked, as I know that the ECU goes up 1 increment when you switch back to stock and the tech can spot it. But I was just after your opinion on whether the tuners have got their work cut out more than ever with this new ECU? And if they are capable enough to make some sort of switching device?

I for one am extremely excited at the prospect of circa 370bhp from a stage 1 map...

Thanks!

Anyone got a link to these german tuners making 450hp?

GNJ - Glad to have someone like you on board! and it's going to be interesting to see how things develop with the various tuning companies..

Just to pick up from what Pilotaudi was saying - what are the chances the major tuning companies develop another type of switching device like Revo's select plus to switch the ECU back to stock?

Now I know there is a lot of talk about whether them devices ever actually worked, as I know that the ECU goes up 1 increment when you switch back to stock and the tech can spot it. But I was just after your opinion on whether the tuners have got their work cut out more than ever with this new ECU? And if they are capable enough to make some sort of switching device?

I for one am extremely excited at the prospect of circa 370bhp from a stage 1 map...

Thanks!

Glad to be here mate :)

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday that DTUK / DTE have brought out a tuning box for the new Mk7 GTI. I expect one to follow suit for the S3. Maybe not as good as a 'proper' ECU remap will be but it may be an option for those with cars under warranty who just want a little more power from the S3.

I will have a word with them and see if anything is imminent.

I've got big plans, watch this space...:racer:

Cheers GNJ that would be really helpful...

GNJ / Silky S3 - like Rob, i was also wondering who were the people in Germany behind this 450bhp tune? ABT? Any links would be great!

For anyone else reading this, also follow Silky S3's new build thread on here, really knows his stuff and his new S3's performance is going to be a bit special.....not to mention his talent with a toolbox for cosmetc modding!

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky-S3
Cheers GNJ that would be really helpful...

GNJ / Silky S3 - like Rob, i was also wondering who were the people in Germany behind this 450bhp tune? ABT? Any links would be great!

For anyone else reading this, also follow Silky S3's new build thread on here, really knows his stuff and his new S3's performance is going to be a bit special.....not to mention his talent with a toolbox fot cosmetc modding!

:wub: I'm blushing, lol!

The 450bhp (Stage 2+/3) came from a tuner friend in Germany, I'll see if I can find the links...

:wub: I'm blushing, lol!

The 450bhp (Stage 2+/3) came from a tuner friend in Germany, I'll see if I can find the links...

Cheers bud!

Will also be interested if you will be making any subtle changes to the exterior down the line? The one thing that interests me is some sort of front splitter if any eventually become available, just to give the front a slightly more sporty / aggressive look...

Cheers bud!

Will also be interested if you will be making any subtle changes to the exterior down the line? The one thing that interests me is some sort of front splitter if any eventually become available, just to give the front a slightly more sporty / aggressive look...

Yer, it does look a little weak on the front end. Would be better if it had the RS6 front! Lets keep an eye out on what comes to market...

Reactions: Johnnyb
When I eventually get my car (fingers crossed next couple of weeks) it will be going to Shark soon for mapping development!
Hopefully a stage 1 remap will get it to 350-360BHP. Now that will be a weapon with that much power.
I have gone into partnership with Shark with a company called Shark Performance Design. We are going to get some good products to market, and the new S3 will be a good base for all you guys wanting to modify!

Reactions: Johnnyb
When I eventually get my car (fingers crossed next couple of weeks) it will be going to Shark soon for mapping development!
Hopefully a stage 1 remap will get it to 350-360BHP. Now that will be a weapon with that much power.
I have gone into partnership with Shark with a company called Shark Performance Design. We are going to get some good products to market, and the new S3 will be a good base for all you guys wanting to modify!

Interesting as I was of the understanding they were using ours for software development.....calls Ben haha.

Either way it doesn't matter what car they use really, I'm looking forward to the results.

Interesting as I was of the understanding they were using ours for software development.....calls Ben haha.

Either way it doesn't matter what car they use really, I'm looking forward to the results.

Well hopefully we'll get it sorted either way. Be good to get on it ASAP as it looks like there'll be a few people looking to tune!
When's your coming?