"i said Daytona, not Dakota!"

MouseGB

Reaction score
Last Monday was going quite well really until my colleague asked to borrow my paperwork to copy for his new company car. The Friday before I had got the email saying my car is coming on the 29th, fantastic. Looking at the form I re-read the email "It's the wrong colour Grommit!"

I spoke to the lease company, not their fault so it's the management company.... A mad dash to the dealer to check out Dakota Grey, not too bad but not what I ordered.....

The more I looked the more I liked it, everyone seems to like it too so on Tuesday the car is still coming but I now have the SD satnav FOC and £500 in my pocket to say sorry

You know, I actually think I prefer the colour - don't tell anyone ;o)

Reactions: 97catalunya, TDI-line, Audi Dynamik and 4 others
Last Monday was going quite well really until my colleague asked to borrow my paperwork to copy for his new company car. The Friday before I had got the email saying my car is coming on the 29th, fantastic. Looking at the form I re-read the email "It's the wrong colour Grommit!"

I spoke to the lease company, not their fault so it's the management company.... A mad dash to the dealer to check out Dakota Grey, not too bad but not what I ordered.....

The more I looked the more I liked it, everyone seems to like it too so on Tuesday the car is still coming but I now have the SD satnav FOC and £500 in my pocket to say sorry

You know, I actually think I prefer the colour - don't tell anyone ;o)

Isn't Dakota an 'exclusive colour'?

Isn't Dakota a browner grey?
The pics iv seen of Dakota I like it, deffo looks different in different light :)

Yes Dakota is that odd brown/grey colour, but it's a colour you can't describe to anyone you have to see it. I'm counting the days.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Oh dear ... bad luck... I think probably most Dakota Grey cars were ordered in error.. Why would you want that rather than DAYTONA which is a nice colour... Personally I could not live with Dakota.. unless I was colour blind or liked British Racing Brown colours..

Nearly happened to me when I was at the dealers ordering my car. We were sat at his desk as we went though my chosen options which I'd printed off the 'car builder' thing on the Audi website. When he got to the bit about colour he read out from my printed sheet 'Daytona', but I corrected him by saying 'No, Dakota'.

He asked me again a couple of times if I was sure about my choice to which I kept saying "Yes, Dakota". He finally pointed to a car in the showroom and another outside, explaining "That one is Daytona, that one is Dakota, are you sure?"

Yep, I'd got them mixed up too - thank G*d he was persistant! Like PilotAudi says above, a lot of Dakota coloured Audi's must have been ordered in error.

Imagine the unveiling on collection day.......!

Cheers, Paul.

Reactions: Jeff777LUFC
Personally, love Daytona, but dislike Dakota, but either way is a bit stupid by Audi to call two normal grey colours such similar names (Daytona is S line only, but very popular)
There must have been thousands of names to choose from for a grey paint :think:, it is asking for trouble and so easy to avoid !

I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey. It would have made sense to have very different names to avoid any confusion such as this.

A few years ago, I'm sure there used to be Dolphin Grey, which was very similar to Dakota Grey. I considered going for it for my old 8P.

I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey.

Who knows what goes on in the fantasy world of marketing executives? I can't work out why the name Dakota is used at all. What is its significance? Do they mean a couple of minor US states, or an old airplane?
Maybe Audi are trying to create their own version of "Fifty Shades of Grey"...

I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey. It would have made sense to have very different names to avoid any confusion such as this.

A few years ago, I'm sure there used to be Dolphin Grey, which was very similar to Dakota Grey. I considered going for it for my old 8P.

Dolpin Grey is an old DULL 8P Audi colour... Dakota is a Brown tinted yuk colour and although Daytona... Dakota and Dolphin all begin with a D that is where the similarity ends. Daytona is great .... Dolphin is DULL ... Dakota is POOH (coloured) Grey .

Lava Grey was pretty nice but think it got discontinued as it did not start with a D

Reactions: PilotAudi
I almost changed my order when I saw this one in Austria. It's way better looking then most people think, especially with black window trims. Pictures don't do the colour justice!

IMG 3465 IMG 3467

Well it arrived today and the colour is really nice in an odd way. As Blurk says so much better in real life, importantly though I'm happy with it and most people have said they like it.

Reactions: Jeff777LUFC and RobbieWebs
Congrats MouseGB! You know the 'rules' - we need pics!

cheers, Paul.

Make sure and take pics with a decent camera.
Phone pics really don't do any cars justice :)