• 1 Post By MouseGB
  • 1 Post By Belfin
  • 1 Post By Daveotto
  • 2 Post By MouseGB

Thread: "i said Daytona, not Dakota!"

Neutral

Status

"i said Daytona, not Dakota!"

Last Monday was going quite well really until my colleague asked to borrow my paperwork to copy for his new company car. The Friday before I had got the email saying my car is coming on the 29th, fantastic. Looking at the form I re-read the email "It's the wrong colour Grommit!"

I spoke to the lease company, not their fault so it's the management company.... A mad dash to the dealer to check out Dakota Grey, not too bad but not what I ordered.....

The more I looked the more I liked it, everyone seems to like it too so on Tuesday the car is still coming but I now have the SD satnav FOC and £500 in my pocket to say sorry

You know, I actually think I prefer the colour - don't tell anyone ;o)
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line, Dakota Grey, Half Leather, Sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Cruise control, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Heated front seats​

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGB View Post
    Last Monday was going quite well really until my colleague asked to borrow my paperwork to copy for his new company car. The Friday before I had got the email saying my car is coming on the 29th, fantastic. Looking at the form I re-read the email "It's the wrong colour Grommit!"

I spoke to the lease company, not their fault so it's the management company.... A mad dash to the dealer to check out Dakota Grey, not too bad but not what I ordered.....

The more I looked the more I liked it, everyone seems to like it too so on Tuesday the car is still coming but I now have the SD satnav FOC and £500 in my pocket to say sorry

You know, I actually think I prefer the colour - don't tell anyone ;o)
    Isn't Dakota an 'exclusive colour'?
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

3rd Gear

Status
    Isn't Dakota a browner grey?
    The pics iv seen of Dakota I like it, deffo looks different in different light
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

Neutral

Status
    Yes Dakota is that odd brown/grey colour, but it's a colour you can't describe to anyone you have to see it. I'm counting the days.
    RobbieWebs likes this.
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line, Dakota Grey, Half Leather, Sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Cruise control, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Heated front seats​

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGB View Post
    Yes Dakota is that odd brown/grey colour, but it's a colour you can't describe to anyone you have to see it. I'm counting the days.
    Be nice to see the pics of it on the new shape

6th Gear

Status
    Oh dear ... bad luck... I think probably most Dakota Grey cars were ordered in error.. Why would you want that rather than DAYTONA which is a nice colour... Personally I could not live with Dakota.. unless I was colour blind or liked British Racing Brown colours..
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Nearly happened to me when I was at the dealers ordering my car. We were sat at his desk as we went though my chosen options which I'd printed off the 'car builder' thing on the Audi website. When he got to the bit about colour he read out from my printed sheet 'Daytona', but I corrected him by saying 'No, Dakota'.

He asked me again a couple of times if I was sure about my choice to which I kept saying "Yes, Dakota". He finally pointed to a car in the showroom and another outside, explaining "That one is Daytona, that one is Dakota, are you sure?"

Yep, I'd got them mixed up too - thank G*d he was persistant! Like PilotAudi says above, a lot of Dakota coloured Audi's must have been ordered in error.

Imagine the unveiling on collection day.......!

Cheers, Paul.
    Jeff777LUFC likes this.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Be nice to see the pics of it on the new shape
    Plenty if you Google. I don't think it's too bad and certainly better than Beluga. But then some would say my colour taste is appalling...
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

2nd Gear

Status
    Personally, love Daytona, but dislike Dakota, but either way is a bit stupid by Audi to call two normal grey colours such similar names (Daytona is S line only, but very popular)
    There must have been thousands of names to choose from for a grey paint , it is asking for trouble and so easy to avoid !
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow StefRobinson On Twitter
    I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey. It would have made sense to have very different names to avoid any confusion such as this.

A few years ago, I'm sure there used to be Dolphin Grey, which was very similar to Dakota Grey. I considered going for it for my old 8P.
    Audi A3 Sportback 8V 1.6 TDI S-Line S-Tronic. Daytona Grey, Comfort Pack, Electric Heated/Folding Mirrors, Hold Assist, Interior Light Pack, SD Satellite Navigation, DAB Radio, Bang & Olufsen Sound System, Autoglym Lifeshine

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRobinson View Post
    I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey.
    Who knows what goes on in the fantasy world of marketing executives? I can't work out why the name Dakota is used at all. What is its significance? Do they mean a couple of minor US states, or an old airplane?
    Maybe Audi are trying to create their own version of "Fifty Shades of Grey"...
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRobinson View Post
    I wonder who actually comes up with these names to describe different shades of grey. It would have made sense to have very different names to avoid any confusion such as this.

A few years ago, I'm sure there used to be Dolphin Grey, which was very similar to Dakota Grey. I considered going for it for my old 8P.
    Dolpin Grey is an old DULL 8P Audi colour... Dakota is a Brown tinted yuk colour and although Daytona... Dakota and Dolphin all begin with a D that is where the similarity ends. Daytona is great .... Dolphin is DULL ... Dakota is POOH (coloured) Grey .
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

4th Gear

Status
    Lava Grey was pretty nice but think it got discontinued as it did not start with a D
    PilotAudi likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Lava Grey was pretty nice but think it got discontinued as it did not start with a D
    Same as Mercury Grey then! Loved Lava Grey.. looked great on the 8P

Reverse Gear

Status
    I almost changed my order when I saw this one in Austria. It's way better looking then most people think, especially with black window trims. Pictures don't do the colour justice!

IMG_3465.jpg IMG_3467.jpg

Neutral

Status
    Well it arrived today and the colour is really nice in an odd way. As Blurk says so much better in real life, importantly though I'm happy with it and most people have said they like it.
    Jeff777LUFC and RobbieWebs like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Congrats MouseGB! You know the 'rules' - we need pics!

cheers, Paul.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

3rd Gear

Status
    Make sure and take pics with a decent camera.
    Phone pics really don't do any cars justice