A3 Squeaky brakes

Aran383

Reaction score
Hi all,

My A3's now done 3500 miles, and I've noticed that the brakes have started to squeak loudly first thing in the morning. Dropped the car off at the dealer for this to be checked out, wouldn't have really expected this from such a new car :sadlike:. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Aran

Yeah, I've started to notice this too in the mornings. I've done 6000 miles, but it's been doing it for the past 1000 or so. Not really annoying, but as you say; surprising on a new car to have brake squeal.

I haven't noticed a brake squeak but mine do grind after it has been raining as to be expected. But it quickly stops after a minute of using the brakes, it doesn't feel like it affects the braking though.

Mine have a squeak on its first journey of the day, doesn't seem to happen at any other time and doesn't last for long.

Dry pad shims cause this, perhaps they aren't putting enough copper grease on them?

Could be cuke2u, the technician this morning told me he was going to give the brakes a clean and then see what else it could be! Still haven't had a phone call from them yet though, I will report back with what they say.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I hope this isn't the same carry on as the RS3.
Seems strange everyone is starting to get it.
Hopefully u get it sorted guys :)

I think it is going to be a carry on case mate haha!, got my car back and just got told they cleaned the brakes and can't do much more than that. They just said monitor the issue and see how you get on...... :(

Can't see this being fixed for a while....

I dare say they can't do any more than that m8.
Certainly not until more folk complain with the same fault.
Just out of interest are all the new a3's brake pads and discs the same on all the models?

Mine dont do it...... But I drive my cars like I stole them! :-D

my m3 does it, but BMW said performance brakes do it until at optimum working temperature. Maybe the same for our little a3's

Sean

I don't think that A3's don't have any different brakes to a Ford Focus, although they are very over servo'd. I wouldn't expect a car costing £5000 to have brake squeal let alone one that costs £30000. After all a tube of copper grease that costs £1.50 would probably solve it.

I just hope they sort out the issue as soon as, embarrasing that a 13 plate cars's brakes squeak yet there are cars that are more than 10 years old that make no noise at all haha

I've just ordered an S3, Hope that doesn't have the same problem!

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Yeah Robbie, I think they do have the same pads and discs from what I can see.

Reactions: RobbieWebs
I just hope they sort out the issue as soon as, embarrasing that a 13 plate cars's brakes squeak yet there are cars that are more than 10 years old that make no noise at all haha

I've just ordered an S3, Hope that doesn't have the same problem!

Nice :)
Somehow I don't think ul have any problems with the brakes on that Beast ;)
Yeah Robbie, I think they do have the same pads and discs from what I can see.
Cheers for that :)
I was thinking maybe it was model specific was all :)

Hi all,

My A3's now done 3500 miles, and I've noticed that the brakes have started to squeak loudly first thing in the morning. Dropped the car off at the dealer for this to be checked out, wouldn't have really expected this from such a new car :sadlike:. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

Aran

Yeah mines done it since day one. Only first few pedal tabs on a morning then it goes. A bit embarrasing reversing off the drive waking up the neighbours with my brakes when its a brand new car!

I assumed it was something to do with very new discs; I have never had a 4 with 4 discs. But perhaps its just 'one of those things'....

Yeah mines done it since day one. Only first few pedal tabs on a morning then it goes. A bit embarrasing reversing off the drive waking up the neighbours with my brakes when its a brand new car!

I assumed it was something to do with very new discs; I have never had a 4 with 4 discs. But perhaps its just 'one of those things'....

Mine only started to squeak around 3000 miles, and initially it only made a noise out the drive, but now it stays for around 5 minutes or so, funny you should mention neighbours, my one laughs at the squeaking every morning haha!

My A1 had about 10,000 miles on the clock and the brakes started to squeak. Took it in garage they said it was in need of a clean and good re grease.

That was about 4 months ago, been absolutely fine since!

Build up of dust and loss of grease, nothing major!

I have had cars with 4-wheel discs that have done more than 10k on the original pads and never squeaked . Shouldn't happen...

Reactions: j0nny2013
Agreed, shouldn't happen.

squeal is the resonance between the pad and the calliper usually can can be altered with anti-squeal material attached to the back of the pad (usually this is standard on OEM pads of prestige cars) and a little bit of copper grease.

My MINI has discs all round and has never squealed in 45k miles, including a front pad/disc change by me at 35k.

One strange thing that has happened previously is on my Z4 it has rear discs that also have a drum for the handbrake. When reversing after parking up the handbrake shoes drag in the drum but then going forwards is fine, ergo it squeals a bit when reversing off the drive but then it's fine.

Is the A3 problem a handbrake issue?

Aren't the handbrakes all wheel electronically operated? I mentioned shims and copper grease a few posts ago...

Yes, but I thought that by law it had to be a separate circuit to the main hydraulic brake lines hence there could be separate pads?

I don't think the handbrake operates with the ABS/ESP system like hill hold assist.

On my mk4 mondeo with all wheel discs, the handbrake didn't have separate pads on the rear. With electronic systems two variations are available: In the more-traditional "cable-pulling" type, an electric motor simply pulls the emergency brake cable rather than a mechanical handle in the cabin. A more complex unit uses two computer-controlled motors attached to the rear brake calipers to activate it which I suspect Audi uses as it automatically releases when you move off but on all four brakes..

Our S3 has done 1500 miles and the brakes are droning too although it is only after the car has been washed and it stops soon after.

This is the only thread I could find on this issue. My car is 10 months old with 6000 miles and this problem has been here I'd say from new. It's getting a bit embarrassing now. Is it worth asking them to look at it or am I just going to get told its normal or something like that?

This is the only thread I could find on this issue. My car is 10 months old with 6000 miles and this problem has been here I'd say from new. It's getting a bit embarrassing now. Is it worth asking them to look at it or am I just going to get told its normal or something like that?

I had this problem years ago with a Datsun 280Z. I kept bringing it back and they
never fixed the problem. Like you said, it was to the point it was embarrassing!
Mine wasn't new but still. Seeing that your car is new I would definitely
have it sorted. Good Luck.

I had this problem years ago with a Datsun 280Z. I kept bringing it back and they
never fixed the problem. Like you said, it was to the point it was embarrassing!
Mine wasn't new but still. Seeing that your car is new I would definitely
have it sorted. Good Luck.

Thanks, will probably give them a call next week, see what they have to say!

Thanks Veeeight - I thought I'd seen other threads in the past, just couldn't find them... And tell me about it, it's my first Audi and I've never had so many issues with a car or car company!

Reactions: Snibo, veeeight and Blackwhite
Rang Audi today and booked it in for 6th July. I am really just expecting to be fobbed off, but I'll keep you updated. It's starting to sound like a bus.

I spoke to a lovely woman on the phone, sounded a bit like she was falling asleep & like I'd maybe done something to upset her. Tried to tell me it's normal because of brake dust (although my two Fords and VW didn't do this).

Anytime the car has gone in they have always dropped a courtesy car off and picked mine up - the woman advised that they don't do this - they can only give me a courtesy car if I drop mine off. I really love Audi.

Reactions: Blackwhite
Rang Audi today and booked it in for 6th July. I am really just expecting to be fobbed off, but I'll keep you updated. It's starting to sound like a bus.

I spoke to a lovely woman on the phone, sounded a bit like she was falling asleep & like I'd maybe done something to upset her. Tried to tell me it's normal because of brake dust (although my two Fords and VW didn't do this).

Anytime the car has gone in they have always dropped a courtesy car off and picked mine up - the woman advised that they don't do this - they can only give me a courtesy car if I drop mine off. I really love Audi.

If it is normal like they say, why don't all of the other cars do it! I hope you
get it fixed. :redface new:

Not going in to be looked at til 6th July, but thought I'd add this vid to see if people think it's as bad as I think it is.

Nowhere near as bad as mine since day one, SO loud I have to stop and then release, gets worse sometimes.

If I apply gas it doesnt do it, or when the car is warm, weird. I think its re-grease and maybe the brake caliper has some sort of build up causing noise and friction? idk.

@A3_Rider It's not right for a new car. Mine has done it since new, but not like this! What have they said about yours?

Has anyone had brake squeal when reversing even when the brakes are not engaged??

Mine has started to do this :(