Steering sitting slightly to the right on motorways

chrisinns17

Reaction score
Is anyone's new a3 steering wheel sitting slightly off centre especially on motorways ? These cars seem to be very camber sensitive ? Anyone else experiencing this ?

18 inch s-line alloys on mine and have noticed this especially in dynamic mode, does not appear to be off centred tracking as goes either way depending on which road your are on and have put it down to combination of steering sensitivity and road camber, but have added to my minor niggle list along with wiper blade clash.

If I find one more niggle will be time for first visit to the dealer service centre.

Yeap 18 inch sline model .. Wiper clash ??? Steering never looks straight .. Always sits slight off centre at speed .. A roads and motorways

Yeap 18 inch sline model .. Wiper clash ??? Steering never looks straight .. Always sits slight off centre at speed .. A roads and motorways

thread is here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/198461-windscreen-wiper-niggle.html

right hand wiper blade clashes slightly with right hand pillar on upward stroke, only slight clash and does not warrant a dealer visit in its own right, so stacking them up!!

seems like you fault might be more of a steering wheel alignment issue rather than drift due to sensitivity

Yours sits slight off on motorways though ?

No, steering wheel sits square but car will slowly drift left or right when on a long straight section at motorway speeds and not holding the steering wheel with any amount of grip, not a bad drift but certainly noticeable compared to my previous 8P 1.4 TFSI SE, will get it checked out (eventually)just in case it,is an alignment issue. But if it is normal will be a small price to pay for the resulting more engaging drive you get form the car.

Just to redefine problem .. Cars steering sits fine when parked .. Seems fine when going around town .. Just when u get speed up and on motorways and a roads steering sits slightly off to the right .. Never looks straight the wheel .. Then slowing down wheel seems to look straight again .. With sline u get flat bottomed steering wheel so it gives u a line to level .. Maybe steering wheel lines not in line with dash lines ? Car does not pull or wander Just sits 5mm to the right at higher speeds

Hi, if any of the steering alignment was out I would have thought it wouldn't be selective to just a motorway though...

Car does not pull or wander Just sits 5mm to the right at higher speeds

But if you then held the wheel dead straight and level it would drift slightly.

I didnt notice this in the two S3s I drove (although they have the progressive steering so it may not be an accurate comparison) - but I would be off to the dealer with that issue.

Does anyone's new a3 steering sit perfectly straight ! On a motorway ? Please all double check and let me know .. No slight cantering to the right ???

Sorry can't check on motorways as they are 100 miles away. But on dual carriageway car stays straight steering wheel okay also.

Sorry can't check on motorways as they are 100 miles away. But on dual carriageway car stays straight steering wheel okay also.

Heard you the first time!!!!

Have checked different drive select modes on same section of road and mine occurs only in dynamic mode, really is only minor and I am surre it is just down to the drive select making the steering more sensitive.

Yes I'm retty sure that's the case too - I only noticed it when I started driving in dynamic by default instead of auto. By coincidence this happened a few days before this thread started. i was a bit concerned until I found others had the same symptoms. I've now got used to it and it doesn't cause any problems.

Not getting any of this I'm afraid - did a lot of motorway driving this weekend and didn't see anything like you are describing.

Have checked different drive select modes on same section of road and mine occurs only in dynamic mode, really is only minor and I am surre it is just down to the drive select making the steering more sensitive.

Dave,
Does this also happen in individual mode with steering set to dynamic?

I haven't driven much in dynamic mode but live in individual mode & steering set to dynamic. Have not noticed the steering off-set.

John.

its your wheel alignment, get it redone try and find someone with hunter equipment and make sure when you get it don't the green indicators are 100% straight up and car will drive fine. being within the tolerance levels does not ensure car will drive 100% straight

Dave,
Does this also happen in individual mode with steering set to dynamic?

Have not tried individual mode, but will on way home assuming its not too windy to relax grip on the wheel.

This is really a minor niggle and is my curiosity as to the root casue rather than someothing wrong with the car and as SL4VE states it might just be allignment being slightly out but in spec. I will however, get it looked at if i need to take the car in for something more significant

I noticed this a few days ago too. Tried it in comfort and dynamic - no difference. Doesn't seem to be camber related either. I'll check if I still get it on a 30mph road on the way home.
I was thinking of taking it in to get adjusted. Now that I've noticed it, I can't forget it. It's interesting that we are all seeing it in the same direction. Must be a systematic fault - i.e. the jig or whatever they use in the factory is off.

Car doesn't pull at all .. Just steering seems very slightly out of alignment ..

Car doesn't pull at all .. Just steering seems very slightly out of alignment ..

Are you sure you have not got a Stigmatism :whistle2:

Seriosuly think we have two issues witihin this thread:
1. A steering wheel straightness issue
2. A wheel allignment issue at motorway speeds

Dealer adjusted tracking slightly .. Car is just very camber sensitive .. Wheel now straight until road camber takes over