EM TuningChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toadoftoadhall

Thread: Steering sitting slightly to the right on motorways

Neutral

Status

Steering sitting slightly to the right on motorways

Is anyone's new a3 steering wheel sitting slightly off centre especially on motorways ? These cars seem to be very camber sensitive ? Anyone else experiencing this ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Have you got 18" wheels?

4th Gear

Status
    18 inch s-line alloys on mine and have noticed this especially in dynamic mode, does not appear to be off centred tracking as goes either way depending on which road your are on and have put it down to combination of steering sensitivity and road camber, but have added to my minor niggle list along with wiper blade clash.

If I find one more niggle will be time for first visit to the dealer service centre.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    Yeap 18 inch sline model .. Wiper clash ??? Steering never looks straight .. Always sits slight off centre at speed .. A roads and motorways

Neutral

Status
    Yeap 18 inch sline

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinns17 View Post
    Yeap 18 inch sline model .. Wiper clash ??? Steering never looks straight .. Always sits slight off centre at speed .. A roads and motorways
    thread is here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...er-niggle.html

right hand wiper blade clashes slightly with right hand pillar on upward stroke, only slight clash and does not warrant a dealer visit in its own right, so stacking them up!!

seems like you fault might be more of a steering wheel alignment issue rather than drift due to sensitivity
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    At low town speeds steering is fine though

Neutral

Status
    Yours sits slight off on motorways though ?

4th Gear

Status
    Yours sits slight off on motorways though ?
    No, steering wheel sits square but car will slowly drift left or right when on a long straight section at motorway speeds and not holding the steering wheel with any amount of grip, not a bad drift but certainly noticeable compared to my previous 8P 1.4 TFSI SE, will get it checked out (eventually)just in case it,is an alignment issue. But if it is normal will be a small price to pay for the resulting more engaging drive you get form the car.

5th Gear

Status
    Do the 18" tyres/wheels combination suffer from tramlining?

1st Gear

Status

Lane Assist would help with this issue!
    Daveotto likes this.
    2014 S3 Sportback, S-tronic, Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Privacy Glass, Super Sport Seats, Extended mono.pur interior, Panoramic Roof, B & O Sound, Tech Pack/Phone prep High with Audi Connect, Side/Lane & Hold Assist, (incls HB assist and Speed Limit Display) Int light pack, Comfort pack, Advanced Key, Adaptive Cruise, Park System Plus, Reverse Cam, Audi Pre-Sense, Dim/heat/fold mirrors, TP monitor, Through Load, 5 yr Warranty & 3 yr Service plan!

Neutral

Status
    Just to redefine problem .. Cars steering sits fine when parked .. Seems fine when going around town .. Just when u get speed up and on motorways and a roads steering sits slightly off to the right .. Never looks straight the wheel .. Then slowing down wheel seems to look straight again .. With sline u get flat bottomed steering wheel so it gives u a line to level .. Maybe steering wheel lines not in line with dash lines ? Car does not pull or wander Just sits 5mm to the right at higher speeds

5th Gear

Status
    Hi, if any of the steering alignment was out I would have thought it wouldn't be selective to just a motorway though...

1st Gear

Status
    Car does not pull or wander Just sits 5mm to the right at higher speeds
    But if you then held the wheel dead straight and level it would drift slightly.

I didnt notice this in the two S3s I drove (although they have the progressive steering so it may not be an accurate comparison) - but I would be off to the dealer with that issue.
    2014 S3 Sportback, S-tronic, Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Privacy Glass, Super Sport Seats, Extended mono.pur interior, Panoramic Roof, B & O Sound, Tech Pack/Phone prep High with Audi Connect, Side/Lane & Hold Assist, (incls HB assist and Speed Limit Display) Int light pack, Comfort pack, Advanced Key, Adaptive Cruise, Park System Plus, Reverse Cam, Audi Pre-Sense, Dim/heat/fold mirrors, TP monitor, Through Load, 5 yr Warranty & 3 yr Service plan!

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone's new a3 steering sit perfectly straight ! On a motorway ? Please all double check and let me know .. No slight cantering to the right ???

6th Gear

Status
    I'll let you know tomorrow...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry can't check on motorways as they are 100 miles away. But on dual carriageway car stays straight steering wheel okay also.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry can't check on motorways as they are 100 miles away. But on dual carriageway car stays straight steering wheel okay also.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    Heard you the first time!!!!

Have checked different drive select modes on same section of road and mine occurs only in dynamic mode, really is only minor and I am surre it is just down to the drive select making the steering more sensitive.

Neutral

Status
    Yes I'm retty sure that's the case too - I only noticed it when I started driving in dynamic by default instead of auto. By coincidence this happened a few days before this thread started. i was a bit concerned until I found others had the same symptoms. I've now got used to it and it doesn't cause any problems.
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.

6th Gear

Status
    Not getting any of this I'm afraid - did a lot of motorway driving this weekend and didn't see anything like you are describing.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Have checked different drive select modes on same section of road and mine occurs only in dynamic mode, really is only minor and I am surre it is just down to the drive select making the steering more sensitive.
    Dave,
    Does this also happen in individual mode with steering set to dynamic?

I haven't driven much in dynamic mode but live in individual mode & steering set to dynamic. Have not noticed the steering off-set.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    its your wheel alignment, get it redone try and find someone with hunter equipment and make sure when you get it don't the green indicators are 100% straight up and car will drive fine. being within the tolerance levels does not ensure car will drive 100% straight
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    Dave,
    Does this also happen in individual mode with steering set to dynamic?
    Have not tried individual mode, but will on way home assuming its not too windy to relax grip on the wheel.

This is really a minor niggle and is my curiosity as to the root casue rather than someothing wrong with the car and as SL4VE states it might just be allignment being slightly out but in spec. I will however, get it looked at if i need to take the car in for something more significant

2nd Gear

Status
    I noticed this a few days ago too. Tried it in comfort and dynamic - no difference. Doesn't seem to be camber related either. I'll check if I still get it on a 30mph road on the way home.
    I was thinking of taking it in to get adjusted. Now that I've noticed it, I can't forget it. It's interesting that we are all seeing it in the same direction. Must be a systematic fault - i.e. the jig or whatever they use in the factory is off.

Neutral

Status
    Plays on your mind doesn't it ..

Neutral

Status
    Car doesn't pull at all .. Just steering seems very slightly out of alignment ..

4th Gear

Status
    Car doesn't pull at all .. Just steering seems very slightly out of alignment ..
    Are you sure you have not got a Stigmatism

Seriosuly think we have two issues witihin this thread:
    1. A steering wheel straightness issue
    2. A wheel allignment issue at motorway speeds

Neutral

Status
    Couldn't resist no more .. Booked in with dealer next Monday ..

Neutral

Status
    So yours is doing the same ?

4th Gear

Status
    Only the second one for me - wheel alignment

Neutral

Status
    Dealer adjusted tracking slightly .. Car is just very camber sensitive .. Wheel now straight until road camber takes over