Progressive power assist on 184 TDI quattro

I suspect I will be permanently disabling start-stop, always hated it anyway.

Hi, my ford does the same. This is a good feature because if it wasn't there then, if you happen to leave the car and someone jumps into the driving seat and drives off, the car cannot be restarted without the fob present

I can't see how's that related to start-stop, or even this discussion at all. The car knows if the car door is open or not, no one enter or exit the car through a closed door. Also, the car knows whether the fob is inside or not. I'm sure there's a rational explanation for start-stop behaviour I described, but your comment has zero relation to it.

The variable ratio progressive steering - I've some interesting observations.

Obviously, this is fitted as standard on the S3, so I'm pretty used to how it feels etc.

For the past 2 days, I've been in an S-line 1.4 courtesy car, with the standard steering rack.

I have to say that I prefer the standard steering rack, it seems much less work to get the car to hit the apex everytime, more intuitive, there also appear to be a little more road "feel" through this as well. This is all on my normal roads, so I know them pretty well.

The obvious difference is maneuvering in small car parks etc. but didn't really notice any additional turning required for B-roads etc.

If this was a de-selectable option on the S3, I'd personally use the money elsewhere.

I know this is completely off-topic, but since we're mentioning start-stop, there's another niggle that caused me embarrassment while at a traffic stop recently.

If you remove the seat belt while the start-stop is active, the car beeps and tells you something about start-stop being disabled, and that you need to re-start the car manually. Normally, you move the s-tronic lever to P, press STOP, press START, move the lever back to D and drive off. Unfortunately, the first time this happened, it took me 10 seconds to figure out just what happened (I just removed the seat belt to take out phone from my front pocket) and another 10 to re-start the car. Luckily, there was only one car behind me and he wasn't in a hurry.

The moral of the story: if you need to take out something from a pocket on a traffic light, disable start-stop first! :)

I found this problem when I first had the car. I would pull up outside my garage and take my seat belt off whilst my electric garage door opened and the engine would stop and then I had to go through the same process as you described to start the car again to drive it into the garage. Now I've got used to leaving my seat belt on, opening the door and touching the throttle and then just driving into the garage using the 'creep' that is standard on the s-tronic.

OK. There's far more information out there on progressive steering for people looking on the Golf. Basically, the further you turn away from centre, the quicker the steering gets, this means you can go around corners with less steering input.

Back on the list and car now ordered! I also need to keep away from internet forums for the foreseeable future....

Hi Arad,
I see you will have had your car for a year or so now. I am just about to order a very similar spec to you and wondered what you now thought of the progressive steering? I would love to know your thoughts as I am undecided on it

Also is there anything from your spec that you would not have bothered with and is there anything that you wish you had added?

Thanks