Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    BGS
    1st Gear

Status

What's the drop - Magnetic Ride

Okay all, hoping to draw on your expert knowledge 'cos I am stumped. Does anyone know if speccing Magnetic Ride changes the ride height?

I know sports drops 15mm and you drop a further 10mm with S-Line but i cant find anything definitve on the Mag Ride.
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Full LED baby !

Status
    I think it's the same as sports
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Neutral

Status
    Not necessarily as far as I know. I think you can have magnetic ride with any chassis you select and if you chose the normal one the height will not drop. However if you have magnetic ride with sports or s-line chassis then you can then it will go up and down depending on what you chose in drive select. For example if you select dynamic and you have sports then it will go 15mm down.

Regards,
    tom

Full LED baby !

Status
    magnetic ride is not pneumatic suspension, if you change from comfort to dynamic, the ride height will be the same, the suspension will only be firmer.

and in the configurator, if you choose normal suspension instead of sport, you can't choose magnetic ride
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Porsche BBK...

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks peeps. The sport suspension thing makes sense, with the configurator. Looks like is shall be sitting 15mm lower then
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

1st Gear

Status
    Having had Audi mag ride on my last three Audis (S3 SB, TTS and then TTRS+) I would not recommend it. Had it not been standard on the TT's I had, I would never have specced it. Inconsistent handling - especially on a damp road and on the sport setting, all it does it makes your car uncomfortable. Fine I guess if you only drive on race track, but on UK roads it's a waste of money IMO. In fact, the one track day I had with my RS, I lapped quicker with the mag ride left in its standard setting!
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Full LED baby !

Status
    well I think it's not the same in the A3, fist of all in the brochure it explains that in confort it's is more confortable than normal chassis, and in dynamic firmer than sport chassis.

We have 2 new A3 at work, mine with magnetic ride and the other with sport suspension

me and my colleague think the same, the suspension is more confortable in mine.
    Porsche BBK...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to jump on this thread regarding magnetic ride as I am in process of ordering an S3. If you do not specify it as an option what is the default suspension position, is it firm or somewhere between firm and soft. I have a TTS currently and tbh I just leave it in sports mode constantly. Occasionally it might be nice to go into soft mode but for a £1k there are other options I would prefer.
    Thanks
    Mark

Tor
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Can you fit a normal coilover suspension on a car born with magnetic ride?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to say if the mag ride is as crap and useless as it is in my TTS I wouldn't bother! Inconsistent ride and handling, jittery in the wet and then put it in sport mode and the car becomes very uncomfortable with no discernible improvement in grip - in fact I personally think the car is quicker through the bends when left in the standard setting. I'm not going to spec it on my new S3.