• 1 Post By TFSI
  • 1 Post By TFSI
  • 1 Post By TFSI
  • 2 Post By TFSI

Thread: A3 S line Brakes

Born to Fish

Status

A3 S line Brakes

Well picked her up on Monday.....................What a stunning enjoyable car this new A3 is.

Missus having a bit of trouble with electric handbrake but a bit more practice and she will have it sussed.

One thing bothering me is to much shiny metal especially the front wheels so it's time to paint the calipers to dull them down a little.

Brilliant Red so i am thinking Gloss Black Calipers with S line decals in red and white, match in with the gloss black surrounds which the S line has.

What do you think ????
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I take it yours is not an s-line?

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizophonic View Post
    I take it yours is not an s-line?
    Yeh mine is an S line, 4 days old. Too much silver with the std S line wheels and silver calipers and hubs.

They should come with painted calipers as std but thats reserved for S3's and above.

Did my last 2010 Ibis 8P A3 S line with black calipers and red/white S line decals and it just finished the car off so will be doing the same with this one soon.
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Born to Fish

Status
    image.jpgCalipers all done now and the car looks better for the loss of silver calipers alongside silver hubs and wheels.

5th Gear

Status
    Nice, did you do it yourself?

Neutral

Status
    Nice job!

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Nice, did you do it yourself?
    Yes. Took the wheels off to paint the calipers hammerite smooth gloss black. Then put the decals on through the wheels. Then gave the decals a lick of lacquer through the wheels.

4th Gear

Status
    Evening! How long did this take you & what materials etc... did you need? I was thinking of doing the same thing but in red! Looks like you've done a top job there!

5th Gear

Status
    Hi, I hope you don't mind asking more questions but where did you get the decals from and did you do anything to prepare the callipers first?

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Evening! How long did this take you & what materials etc... did you need? I was thinking of doing the same thing but in red! Looks like you've done a top job there!
    2 hours to remove all four wheels and paint calipers with Hammerite smooth gloss black. dry overnight and then fit and lacquer decals without removing wheels.

F1 decals off eBay, used them before and they are the best, just be careful when removing backing film after sticking them to calipers, I brushed my lacquer on them with a kids paint brush but not the red square by the S as I found it discoloured it on my previous 8P.

Total time taken over two days was approx three hours helped by not having to remove the wheels again.
    Total cost was about £15.

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    They look great. I might just have a go at that when mine arrives. Just need to see how the 19"s look with the silver calipers first. They are a bit darker so might be alright. Maybe red though . . maybe.
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

Full LED baby !

Status
    could you post a picture of the whole car with your painted brakes ?

thanks
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    could you post a picture of the whole car with your painted brakes ?

thanks
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neutral

Status
    Great job! They really enhance the look of the wheels. I have a Glacier white S Line on order and this would look smart on mine too. I know what you mean about the amount of silver, which I believe is even more prominent against a white car.
    2014 1.4 TFSi S Line Manual Sportback in Glacier White with comfort pack, heated seats, Audi music system, panoramic roof, privacy glass, tyre pressure monitoring system & hold assist

Full LED baby !

Status
    well it does look good, and you have a nice color I see
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by McAudi View Post
    Great job! They really enhance the look of the wheels. I have a Glacier white S Line on order and this would look smart on mine too. I know what you mean about the amount of silver, which I believe is even more prominent against a white car.
    Did my previous Ibis White S line the same and they looked fine.image.jpgIMG_0003.jpg
    97catalunya likes this.

Born to Fish

Status
    Very happy with the new A3 8V apart from now I thought I would give my iPod a go, It won't load mine or the wife's, they both have the latest software and are set to windows. The MMI cables I have are one with a USB connector on and no coloured grommet and a iPod connector with a red grommet on one end ???? Is this the correct one or do I need another.
    PS What's the USB used for ? can I connect a flash drive to this and also can I use an SD card loaded with my iTunes song list ?

Neutral

Status
    Why mention this on a thread about S Line brakes?
    2014 1.4 TFSi S Line Manual Sportback in Glacier White with comfort pack, heated seats, Audi music system, panoramic roof, privacy glass, tyre pressure monitoring system & hold assist

Born to Fish

Status
    Why mention this on a thread about S Line brakes?
    I have completed the brake jobby now so thought I would mention this little hiccup I have with the rest of the car. Sorry for breathing!!!

Neutral

Status
    Sorry mate. I was reading this on my mobile tiny screen. I didn't realise that it was you that posted the message. I thought it was just someone postinga random question on your thread. Keep breathing ;-)

Born to Fish

Status
    Sorry mate. I was reading this on my mobile tiny screen. I didn't realise that it was you that posted the message. I thought it was just someone postinga random question on your thread. Keep breathing ;-)
    Cheers feller its OK i'm still breathing

Born to Fish

Status
    Gave up with the iPods and loaded it onto an SD card which works great.

As well as the brake calipers I thought the S line also deserves a little addition to its grill !

image.jpg
    Phil-1 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Crikey, those SD cards are cheap! You could almost squeeze my entire music collection onto one of the high capacity cards. I'm assuming that a USB stick would do the same? Are there ports in the armrest for both formats?

Born to Fish

Status
    Crikey, those SD cards are cheap! You could almost squeeze my entire music collection onto one of the high capacity cards. I'm assuming that a USB stick would do the same? Are there ports in the armrest for both formats?
    The SD card goes into Slot 2 located in the glove box where the CDs are loaded. The USB stick connects via a cable under the arm rest. Both play extremely well and load in seconds. The USB stick still remains illuminated with the ignition off though.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    The SD card goes into Slot 2 located in the glove box where the CDs are loaded. The USB stick connects via a cable under the arm rest. Both play extremely well and load in seconds. The USB stick still remains illuminated with the ignition off though.
    I think it turns off after a while, my iPhone will still charge for a while after turning the car off. I think the MMI stays awake for a while after turning the car off, it saves it having to reboot every time you park up (if you have just popped into the shops) not sure how long though?
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I think it turns off after a while, my iPhone will still charge for a while after turning the car off. I think the MMI stays awake for a while after turning the car off, it saves it having to reboot every time you park up (if you have just popped into the shops) not sure how long though?
    Cheers for that info, much appreciated. Didn't fancy disconnecting and connecting the USB stick every time.

Gave my car a good clean inside this morning and came across that Bl--dy air bag sticker on the sun visor !! Do they come off easily or does it leave a sticky mess ?
    97catalunya likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Sadly those airbag warning stickers are fused on to the visor, and they won't come off. There was a thread a few months ago that suggested ordering the left-hand drive version of the visor to replace it without the stickers on.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    I tried removing the sticker on my Honda a few years back and then gave up when I realised it was secured using Kryptonite! How about sticking a photo of Rachel Riley over it. Also, cheers for the info on the SD card/ USB - I think I will opt for the SD card.

6th Gear

Status
    Gave my car a good clean inside this morning and came across that Bl--dy air bag sticker on the sun visor !! Do they come off easily or does it leave a sticky mess ?
    If it's taken you this long to notice them... I'd suggest that they probably aren't that much of an issue!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    The SD card goes into Slot 2 located in the glove box where the CDs are loaded.
    Slot 2? Mine is in slot 1... didn't think it mattered!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Slot 2? Mine is in slot 1... didn't think it mattered!
    Maybe TFSI has SD satnav in slot 1
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    Maybe TFSI has SD satnav in slot 1
    Cant afford Sat Nav, from the drivers side slot 2 was the easiest to reach

Born to Fish

Status
    I tried removing the sticker on my Honda a few years back and then gave up when I realised it was secured using Kryptonite! How about sticking a photo of Rachel Riley over it. Also, cheers for the info on the SD card/ USB - I think I will opt for the SD card.
    Didnt know who Rachel Riley was so googled it and I now know what you mean Don't think the Missus would like it to much on our long journeys or even our short journeys.
    Belfin and McAudi like this.

Neutral

Status
    That made me laugh like f***. She is smoking hot and I'd walk through a room of up turned 3 pin plugs just to see her shadow
    Last edited by McAudi; 24th October 2013 at 22:29.

Born to Fish

Status
    Finished of my new S line now, don't do too much as I like them to look how Audi build them (Sporty and Classy)

First the brake calipers, then the grill badge and finally a sticker in the back window. All done now.
    Attached Images Attached Images