Thread: Free map update service

6th Gear

Status

Free map update service

Hi all,

Just got this email from my dealer:

Hi Chris

Thought this might be of interest to you

A3 models with MMI Navigation Plus (Technology packages PNQ and WB4) built from build week 22 2013 (week starting 27 May) onwards now include a free navigation map update service.

The initially installed mapping always uses the latest available version. This can be updated five times free of charge, with one update released every six months.

How can these updates be completed?
    Customers can download the map update from myAudi to an SD card (a 32GB class 10 card is required) and upload it to the car.

The first update will be available from Monday 4 November. Free updates will be available from build week 22 and build week 45 every year until five updates are reached. Further updates are available from £186 recommended retail price including VAT (excluding labour charge) at Centres.

How long will the update take to complete?
    It may take up to two hours to upload to the MMI. The update is interrupted if the engine is switched off, but automatically resumes at the same point when the car is restarted.
    Splathead, Dan76, Casey87 and 5 others like this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2. # ADS
    ADS

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    That's good to know. Great in fact. Thanks muchly Cemers
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks, don't understand why cars built before May won't get updates though

I've just signed into My Audi and there is nothing there about updating maps on mine. Boo hiss lol.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Perhaps the MMI software before that date wasn't capable of it? You could try kicking up a fuss about it, see if they'll update your software...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    That's cool Chris! Is it only if Audi Connect was fitted or all tech packs?
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

6th Gear

Status
    I think both

Neutral

Status
    Great, thanks for the update. I shall have to log into myaudi as i havent even checked it out yet.
    2013 (63) Audi A3 1.8TFSi Sportback Manual S-Line in Glacier White,Privacy Glass, Xenons,Sat-Nav,

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I think both
    Yes just checked my audi and it explains exactly as you said 5 updates FOC

Really useful information thanks Chris.

Oh by the way I also noticed they have a system on there for uploading POI's and it will convert them to the Audi language then you can download them to an SD card. I wonder if there is a speed camera database anywhere that can be used with this?
    ivicyrusivi likes this.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Chris!
    MY14 8V Brilliant Red A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI CoD Sport Manual, SE Suspension,
    Comfort Pack, SD Sat Nav, DAB and Aluminium Roof Rails.

5th Gear

Status
    so update once a year get both updates? makes that 5 years for free?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post

Oh by the way I also noticed they have a system on there for uploading POI's and it will convert them to the Audi language then you can download them to an SD card. I wonder if there is a speed camera database anywhere that can be used with this?
    speed camera POI would be great!!

Give it a go and let us know

Short Back

Status

Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras sell a very accurate subscription based Camera database in formats for all the major SatNav\Mapping companies! If there's going to be one to suit, I'd think you could get it from them.

Here's the compatibility & format list.
    Last edited by Artimus; 15th October 2013 at 15:21.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras sell a very accurate subscription based Camera database in formats for all the major SatNav\Mapping companies! If there's going to be one to suit, I'd think you could get it from them.

OOOH it's supported!? -
    Audi RNS-E Yes Garmin POILoader CSV See NavPOInt below

worth noting though... the databases are generally free, but might be easier getting the subscription if its ready formatted

6th Gear

Status
    So early buyers get shafted yet again - thanks Audi, way to encourage brand loyalty.
    johnhugh, mjcourtney and Aran383 like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ivicyrusivi View Post
    OOOH it's supported!? -
    Audi RNS-E Yes Garmin POILoader CSV See NavPOInt below
    No. The RNS-E is the unit in the 8P, not the 8V.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    true, but POI would most likely be the same

3rd Gear

Status
    So early buyers get shafted yet again - thanks Audi, way to encourage brand loyalty.
    I wonder if it's worth a call to the dealer? I don't think the hardware has changed has it? So maybe you could get the software updated to the boot loader for the maps to run?

Audi will then need to inform your "my audi" that you can download the maps. They may not be advertising it to cut down the number of people bringing in there cars for software updates.

Or you would like to think anyway!

limboitis

Status
    Free updates only for the A3????????????
    +incoming (64/Sep 1st) S3 (300) Sportback S-Tronic Quattro Daytona Grey
    -outgoing (63) A5 2.0TDI (177) Coupe Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

VCDS Location: NI (County Antrim)
    - (62) A1 1.6TDI (105) Sport Manual Sportback Brilliant Black
    - (62) S3 (265) Sportback Black Edition S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

- (58) TT Roadster 3.2 V6 (250) S-Tronic Quattro Phantom Black

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post

Interesting thanks Artimus will check that out when I get a chance.

Is this the most reliable camera list people know of as according to My Audi there are a number of compatible files including Tom Tom, Garmin etc?

6th Gear

Status
    I wonder if it's worth a call to the dealer? I don't think the hardware has changed has it? So maybe you could get the software updated to the boot loader for the maps to run?

Audi will then need to inform your "my audi" that you can download the maps. They may not be advertising it to cut down the number of people bringing in there cars for software updates.

Or you would like to think anyway!
    I will be having a word with them, if only to express my displeasure at this.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software limitation but I'm wondering whether they updated the hardware when the Connect option became available, to make it compatible etc, and the newer hardware is required for the updates, even if you don't have the Connect option.

An interesting twist is that my main MMI control unit was replaced a couple of weeks ago. If it's a newer unit, would this mean it's technically capable of the updates?

Short Back

Status
    The database is updated regularly by members for rewards! all submitted sites are checked by site admin before they are entered into the database.

note: most POI's are free, yes! but the Speed Camera database need a paid subscription with monthly updates available for download. I used to subscribe when I used a Tomtom & CamerAlert (their own iPhone\Android app).

It's the file format that's important, not the make\model Head Unit.

Most car manufacturers use third party Navigation software & mapping. There are not that many different mapping companies or file types, even though head units differ. The new Audi system will be based on a mainstream SatNav device from a different manufacturer, and so it will use their file format.
    Last edited by Artimus; 15th October 2013 at 16:56.
    ivicyrusivi likes this.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Full LED baby !

Status
    not sure in England but here the price for audi connect changed from 200 to 600 in May, this could explain those free updates !
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    I will be having a word with them, if only to express my displeasure at this.

Not sure if it's a hardware or software limitation but I'm wondering whether they updated the hardware when the Connect option became available, to make it compatible etc, and the newer hardware is required for the updates, even if you don't have the Connect option.

An interesting twist is that my main MMI control unit was replaced a couple of weeks ago. If it's a newer unit, would this mean it's technically capable of the updates?
    Ooh you might just be in luck there then have you tried logging into my audi to see if it offers you the updates? If it doesn't it may just be that the dealer will have to inform audi that you have a new control unit?

6th Gear

Status
    From discussions with the workshop at my dealers, nothing happens to the cars without Audi knowing about it anyway, so shouldn't be a problem there...

6th Gear

Status
    myAudi doesn't show anything but that's not surprising as it'll just be going off the factory spec of the vehicle from the VIN.

Audi of course know about the new control unit because it was a warranty claim (all £2k+ of it!).

Neutral

Status
    What's this "my Audi" that everyone is talking about? Not heard about that?

Cheers:-)

6th Gear

Status
    It's a website that you use to interface with the connect services amongst others

https://my.audi.com/content/uk/myaudi/en/home.html

2nd Gear

Status
    So no updates for the standard sat nav either ??? bit rubbish!!! Lol
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

6th Gear

Status
    I don't want to say 'you get what you pay for' - but it isn't really surprising that they would provide a service to people who shelled out more in the first place and not to some others to be fair!

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't want to say 'you get what you pay for' - but it isn't really surprising that they would provide a service to people who shelled out more in the first place and not to some others to be fair!
    maybe, TBH was actually surprised audi didn't give it at all, obviously before the noted post above most cars I've had gave upgrades to sat navs free or otherwise, I'd even pay for an upgrade like you can do on tom toms and the like !
    Audi A3 8v 2.0TDi S-Line, glacier white.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, with the proliferation of the 'free' sat navs that recieve live updates these days, it'll all go that way with cars eventually... car makers are always a bit slow to latch on to these things!

1st Gear

Status
    Hi all,

Just got this email from my dealer:
    Am I missing something?
    My myAudi doesn't seem to mention this but my car is a week 42 build.
    It just seems to be talking about Audi Connect - that I don't have.......!
    Does it take time for this option to appear or am I just being a dullard?
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

6th Gear

Status
    Not sure - it appears on mine. I think there is an update due out around now, haven't checked to see if that is there yet - probably should do!

6th Gear

Status
    Hmmm, the option seems to have disappeared from mine as well...

6th Gear

Status
    I've emailed my dealer about this to try and work out where it's gone.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Did anyone get any info back on the missing update in my audi ? I haven't heard back so will chase, but still not there any more for me...

Lurker

Status
    I'd also be interested in any updates as myaudi shosw me having Connect (which I don't) but no Sat Nav options..
    I'd ask my salesman but he's on holiday at the mo
    8V 1.8 TFSI S-line Sportback
    Daytona Grey | B&O | Privacy Glass | Tech pack | Comfort pack | Interior Light pack | Through Load facility | Sports Suspension |
    Mods to fit | Ali pedals | H&R Spacers 10mm front & 15mm rear |

6th Gear

Status
    I'm chasing my dealer on it now... he's not back in till tomorrow though, been on holiday.

2nd Gear

Status
    Too many dealers on holiday... They must be doing really well
    Dan76 and rdgc like this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    Too many dealers on holiday... They must be doing really well
    Prob due to Sept 1st collections and getting paid their commission in October pay packets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast