what happens in your A3 when dynamic mode is selected after engine has been stopped?

Tom75

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed recently the following:

When I have selected dynamic mode in drive select then the car is totally in dynamic mode meaning also the gear box switches from D to S as you can see in the display. I noticed now that when I switch of the engine and later start driving again the car is of course still in dynamic mode however the gear box is then in D mode, maning I have to switch it manually again to S mode.

Has anybody noticed the same? Is this normal and if yes what is the reason for this?

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom

Yes mine does the same. I can only guess the car is protecting its self from cold restarts? Because if you start the car and from cold and drive it away in sport mode the revs will go a lot higher than you would want to use on a cold engine.
But you would also think it would use its thermostat or a timer and realise when you have only been out of the car 5 mins that it can stay in sport mode?

Hi Tom

Yes mine does the same. I can only guess the car is protecting its self from cold restarts? Because if you start the car and from cold and drive it away in sport mode the revs will go a lot higher than you would want to use on a cold engine.
But you would also think it would use its thermostat or a timer and realise when you have only been out of the car 5 mins that it can stay in sport mode?

The cold engine problem was actually also my guess but it also changes it if the engine is warm and you just switch it if for a minute.

Regards,
Tom

Have you tried leaving it in D until the engine warms up to see if it switches back to S?

Have you tried leaving it in D until the engine warms up to see if it switches back to S?

Yes have tried that ;) I mean it's no hardship pulling the gear selector back to put it into sport but I'm surprised that it isn't automatic.

anyway, I think you are right, it's must be about cold starting

Ok, thanks for the feedback thats would at least be a good reason for this.

Regards,
Tom