AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Magnetic Ride / Progressive Steering - anyone got them?

Starting to home in on my definitive spec for an A3 SB 184 Sport, but still not sure whether the magnetic ride is worth the 995 smackers Audi charges for it and/or the progressive steering.

I've been growing accustomed to the adaptive air suspension of our Allroad and quite fancy the option to adjust ride comfort that the magnetic ride would provide.

So, has anyone got either or both on their car and care to provide some feedback? I know these things can be subjective, but it would be good to know if other's think they're worth specifying or not.

I test drove a 150 sport saloon on Thursday and thought the steering felt nicely weighted and pretty communicative (well for an Audi at any rate) so not sure what the progressive steering would bring.
    Current wheels: Skoda Octavia vRS CR Estate, Race Blue, many extras, 2010 + an old Yamaha motorbike. SWMBO: Audi A6 Allroad, 245, Dakota Grey, a fair number of extras, 2013.
    Looking at an A3 SB 184, Golf GTD, vRS CR Estate or Leon FR 184 - so far edging towards A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    I have both and especially the magnetic ride is something I wouldn't want to miss anymore. It really lets you adjust the driving style and comfort significantly. In my opinion there are worlds between the comfort and sport mode for example and the progressive steering is part of it and changes also the steering behaviour based on your driving style etc.

I think it is really great to be able to have this possibility especially if driving on bad roads, long trips etc. But for example if you are a sporty driver with a s-line suspension and anyway never plan to use anything more comfortable then you probably wont need it.

Regards,
    Tom

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom75 View Post
    I have both and especially the magnetic ride is something I wouldn't want to miss anymore. It really lets you adjust the driving style and comfort significantly. In my opinion there are worlds between the comfort and sport mode for example and the progressive steering is part of it and changes also the steering behaviour based on your driving style etc.

I think it is really great to be able to have this possibility especially if driving on bad roads, long trips etc. But for example if you are a sporty driver with a s-line suspension and anyway never plan to use anything more comfortable then you probably wont need it.

Regards,
    Tom
    Thanks Tom.

What A3 version have you got?

If you had to choose between the two options, which would you go for?
    Current wheels: Skoda Octavia vRS CR Estate, Race Blue, many extras, 2010 + an old Yamaha motorbike. SWMBO: Audi A6 Allroad, 245, Dakota Grey, a fair number of extras, 2013.
    Looking at an A3 SB 184, Golf GTD, vRS CR Estate or Leon FR 184 - so far edging towards A3

Reverse Gear

Status
    I test drove the new a3 with s line suspension to compare it with my current TT which has mag ride. I didn't like the s line suspension by comparison....it is quite a lot less forgiving and "jiggly" in comparison with the TT/mag ride set in non sport mode. Personally I'll be speccing it again when ordering....

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroad2013 View Post
    Thanks Tom.

What A3 version have you got?

If you had to choose between the two options, which would you go for?

Hi,

I have the 1.8 TFSI quattro stronic.

If I would have to choose between Magnetic Ride and Progressive Steering I would go for magnetic ride because it would be more important for me.

Regards,
    tom

Full LED baby !

Status
    I took magnetic ride ans not progressive steering because everywhere I read about it, (evo magazine, drive, top gear, other websites ...) they all say they just don't activate it because it feels strange and you never really know how to take a corner.

I haven't tried magnetic ride since my car is due end of october.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...