AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24

    Unhappy S-tronic Jolt - 1.8 TFSI

    Hey Forum,

    Odd experience this morning, I started from cold left my home and after slowing down for a 90 degree left hander, I squeezed the accelerator as per usual but with no response from the car. After squeezing a little more a gear was engaged with an mighty jolt and the car shot forward. I am currently in the process of sorting out Audi Assist after bringing the car home. Gear changes are slightly unsmooth now and at a variable rev count so clearly an issue! I will let you know what my experience is but yup slightly frustrating as this is the second time they are coming out in 3 months to sort out the car. First time they came out was to address one of the ECUs in the car as it was failing. This sounds a little more fundamental than changing an ECU however.

    Has anyone else had s-tronic issues and what have your experiences been. What should I expect from the dealer given the above....

    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Mani

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad W.I.
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani_S_Bhogal View Post
    Hey Forum,

    Odd experience this morning, I started from cold left my home and after slowing down for a 90 degree left hander, I squeezed the accelerator as per usual but with no response from the car. After squeezing a little more a gear was engaged with an mighty jolt and the car shot forward. I am currently in the process of sorting out Audi Assist after bringing the car home. Gear changes are slightly unsmooth now and at a variable rev count so clearly an issue! I will let you know what my experience is but yup slightly frustrating as this is the second time they are coming out in 3 months to sort out the car. First time they came out was to address one of the ECUs in the car as it was failing. This sounds a little more fundamental than changing an ECU however.

    Has anyone else had s-tronic issues and what have your experiences been. What should I expect from the dealer given the above....

    Your thoughts would be appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Mani

    Mine will probably do the same if i use too much revs when pulling out at a T junction, so i have to really squeeze the throttle until i find the bite point. But once i get into first gear the changes from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on are smooth.

    However my dsg (i think ) rattles over rough roads, and apparently i am the only one that hears it,(windows must be down) and sometimes i think when the car is hot, downshifts can be slightly noticeable/jerky . Maybe i am just expecting it to be perfect, i don't know . The car is on 3000kms so i am monitoring it carefully.

  4. #3
    97catalunya's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southend-on-sea
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    Mine will probably do the same if i use too much revs when pulling out at a T junction, so i have to really squeeze the throttle until i find the bite point. But once i get into first gear the changes from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on are smooth.

    However my dsg (i think ) rattles over rough roads, and apparently i am the only one that hears it,(windows must be down) and sometimes i think when the car is hot, downshifts can be slightly noticeable/jerky . Maybe i am just expecting it to be perfect, i don't know . The car is on 3000kms so i am monitoring it carefully.
    I haven't noticed the rattle but the roads here are not that bad. However the jerky downshifts have been noticed but only when in sport mode, and to be honest I kinda would expect it as sport mode speeds up the shift time and adds a little throttle blip as you would on a manual, it is expecting spirited driving
    Can I presume when you are noticing it are you in "Dynamic" or have the gearbox in "sport" too?
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Trinidad W.I.
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I haven't noticed the rattle but the roads here are not that bad. However the jerky downshifts have been noticed but only when in sport mode, and to be honest I kinda would expect it as sport mode speeds up the shift time and adds a little throttle blip as you would on a manual, it is expecting spirited driving
    Can I presume when you are noticing it are you in "Dynamic" or have the gearbox in "sport" too?



    Hi 97, yes I get the Rev matching when it downshifts in dynamic, pretty awesome sounding too, like a motorcycle.


    But some times when in auto mode if I brake kinda heavily close to a stop light the car goes from 7 down to 1 sorta quickly over a short distance and when the shifts go from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 it sometimes gets a bit jerky

  6. #5
    Buneet's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    Hi 97, yes I get the Rev matching when it downshifts in dynamic, pretty awesome sounding too, like a motorcycle.


    But some times when in auto mode if I brake kinda heavily close to a stop light the car goes from 7 down to 1 sorta quickly over a short distance and when the shifts go from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 it sometimes gets a bit jerky
    Mine does that too when going down quickly.

  7. #6
    97catalunya's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southend-on-sea
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    Hi 97, yes I get the Rev matching when it downshifts in dynamic, pretty awesome sounding too, like a motorcycle.


    But some times when in auto mode if I brake kinda heavily close to a stop light the car goes from 7 down to 1 sorta quickly over a short distance and when the shifts go from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 it sometimes gets a bit jerky
    I haven't done too much heavy braking but I wonder if it an added feature of S-Tronic and the emergency brake assist?

    In a manual you would put your foot on the brake then the clutch as you slowed then put it in 1st ready to pull away, in an auto the car will want to change down through all the gears. At speed it will need to do this quickly skipping the smooth transition and gradual clutch control.
    This will also add engine braking to the mechanical brakes helping you to reduce speed quicker.

    I know the A3 has an emergency brake assist feature that automatically adds assistance under heavy braking so maybe it's part of this?

    I am not talking fact though this is just a theory so I could easily be wrong I would be interested to know though.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. My new A3 S line 2.0 TFSI Special Edition S Tronic
    By B-J-P in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22nd June 2011, 11:41
  2. New FB steering wheel for my 2010 1.4 tfsi s-tronic
    By lundoz in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th December 2009, 13:21
  3. 2.0 TFSI S tronic Power/Torque graph
    By KRL in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th October 2007, 10:39

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO