Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny Fireblade
  • 1 Post By Belfin
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: Is my number plate falling off

Neutral

Status

Is my number plate falling off

Can anyone post a photo of the rear number plate , numbers hidden obviously. I need to compare it to my sport back which looks wrong. The number plate is in a box type holder that s stuck to the tailgate but there's a huge gap at either side where you can see the foam backing. Looks like its because the tailgates curved and the plate isn't.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Numberplate should be direct onto the body with double sided tape, some dealers make an a,.,e of this

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

Neutral

Status
    Yeah it seems to be stuck in the middle but you can easily get your fingers behind either side.

I will get a photo tomorrow if I get time

6th Gear

Status
    Doesn't sound right, pretty sure mine isn't like this
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

2nd Gear

Status
    I have seen the ones in the black holder in 2 forms:

Clipped in to back holder
    Screwed into bodywork through black holder.

I have also seen plates stuck straight on to body with 3M type sticky foam squares.

Mine is screwed in through the black holder (seems a bit excessive but hey)

Really not sure what additional benefit would come form mounting in a black holder (so removable) but with the black holder stuck on, apart from free advertising for the dealer.
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    Screwing numberplates in is technically illegal unless you get those coloured caps, and even then if it on the edge of a letter it can be dodgy. Not that they are likely to do you for it. Mine are stuck on I think, much prefer it that way. All euro-style plates as well (with the EU flag and 'GB' on them) which I requested.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Sure mines stuck not screwed. You can see the dark grey foam backing but when I felt it , it wasn't sticky in the slightest. Thought if it had started to peel off the the foam would feel tacky but it's not.

Thinking about it the foam could just be a spacer to stop the plates rubbing on the paintwork
    Last edited by chippy1970; 11th October 2013 at 14:14.

Neutral

Status
    Mine is coming off somehow and swivels up and down at one side.

Have spoken to dealership and they have to sort it, a dealer job they told me.

It it is booked in for new seats next week anyway as it managed to get delivered without the thru load facility as ordered.

Nothing is is simple nowadays, well except for car salesmen that is.
    dick wad likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Mine are screwed on with the coloured screws

4th Gear

Status
    My rear number plate is secured by 2 screws, with a back and yellow cap to bend in.

Front number plate is a very snug fit with no screws.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

1st Gear

Status
    My acrylic plates were originally screwed on, but the rear plates were fitted far too tight and had pulled into the foam mounting pad. This caused a bump in the middle of the plate and the two ends to splay outwards; just enough to annoy me! I loosened them myself, but then noticed that the dealer must have made the plates during his lunch break or something - there was little 'bits' stuck in between the clear acrylic and yellow backing.

Decided to use this as an excuse to go for metal pressed plates mounted in plastic surrounds.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Cheers, Paul.
    dick wad likes this.
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

Neutral

Status
    Cheers Paul that rear box looks like mine perhaps they've screwed it in too tight like yours

1st Gear

Status
    As mentioned before my plates are held on with double sided sticky tape, the rear plate is just attached to the metal work no STUPID looking frame.

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    As mentioned before my plates are held on with double sided sticky tape, the rear plate is just attached to the metal work no STUPID looking frame.
    Don't sit on the fence Doug, just say it! If you've mentioned it before why mention it again, or is a thread officially closed to the rest of us after you've responded? I'm new-ish and still learning the rules!

MY car, MY plates. If you don't like them cupcake, please, please don't feel obliged to put them on yours!

I'm just trying to help and contribute mate.

I've never trusted double sided tape to keep my plates on for any period of time - especially in the variable weather down in this neck of the woods - I'd always be checking to see they were still there.

Also, there is no metal behind my rear plate to stick to, just a large grey foam pad which I didn't fancy scraping off a spanking new car to get to the paintwork behind.

Right, I'm off out now to show the world my STUPID looking frames!

Cheers, Paul.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

6th Gear

Status
    I think you need some kind of frame for the plates, they look a bit weird just stuck on their own on the car
    Belfin likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Belfin, where did you get the plates?
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line, Dakota Grey, Half Leather, Sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Cruise control, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Heated front seats​

1st Gear

Status
    Hi MouseGB,

I got them from here: Pressed Plates Now Available from DTUK/Juicy Detailing

Cheers, Paul.

1st Gear

Status
    I like the frame on Belfins A3 and the pressed plates! Where did you get the frame from dude I'd like to replace the dealer one on mine (I don't like dealers!) I may even look into the pressed plates from Jens too.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zerocool_ View Post
    I like the frame on Belfins A3 and the pressed plates! Where did you get the frame from dude I'd like to replace the dealer one on mine (I don't like dealers!) I may even look into the pressed plates from Jens too.
    I got mine from here: AUDI INGOLSTADT DEALERSHIP NUMBER PLATE SURROUNDS | eBay , but there is loads of different types available. I went for a standard German/Euro type just to be sure it would fit inside the lip on the front grill of a German-built car!

Cheers, Paul.