Volks AutosSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 44
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New A3 122 BHP Vs 140 BHP...Which to go for?

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50

    New A3 122 BHP Vs 140 BHP...Which to go for?

    Hi

    I'm inrerested to know which of the two engines you guys have gone for or would get between the two?

    My head days 122bhp but my heart says 140bhp!

    Thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Schizophonic's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    320
    The 122bhp is cheaper but the Cod 140bhp is more expensive but more economical and has the extra grunt. If I was given a choice. The 140bhp without a doubt.
    BGS likes this.

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    46
    140 bhp. Loose a few toys if you have to, the engine is the most important aspect IMO
    Last edited by sftdi; 10th October 2013 at 15:38.
    TDI-line likes this.

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ahfh1 View Post
    Hi

    I'm inrerested to know which of the two engines you guys have gone for or would get between the two?

    My head days 122bhp but my heart says 140bhp!

    Thanks
    You should go and try the 140bhp because yes it has more grunt and properly just as economical if not better than the 122bhp. (properly extremely dependent on your driving style) However it does that by using the CoD technology and you need to experience that and make you own conclusion if this cylinder cut off is okay with you. Because you can feel it when it enables/Disables the cylinders
    I drive both and after the 140bhp ride it was an easy choice for me, 140hbp.

  6. #5
    mjcourtney's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South England
    Posts
    1,039
    From what I've read on here I wouldn't say there's a vast difference in economy between the two engines. People seem to be reporting similar MPG across both (from my experience on here anyway). But then I guess you could look at it as getting an extra ~18bhp out of the engine without taking a hit on economy. I've got the 122bhp, and if I was ordering again I would seriously consider the 140bhp, but probably only from a BHP point of view as opposed to economy.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpeter View Post
    You should go and try the 140bhp because yes it has more grunt and properly just as economical if not better than the 122bhp. (properly extremely dependent on your driving style) However it does that by using the CoD technology and you need to experience that and make you own conclusion if this cylinder cut off is okay with you. Because you can feel it when it enables/Disables the cylinders
    I drive both and after the 140bhp ride it was an easy choice for me, 140hbp.
    I have the 140bhp and I test drove the 122bhp there is definitely more power with the 140bhp but I was still impressed with the 122bhp. IMO the 140bhp is the best choice, on paper there is no reason other than cost to choose the 122bhp.

    I have never noticed mine dropping to 2 cylinders, maybe that's just me not being very observant. It would be nice for the DIS to inform you when running on 2.
    Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 COD S Line
    Glacier White, Advanced Key, Audi Sound System, Comfort Package, Hold Assist, Interior Light Package, SD Sat Nav.

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Hi, what is the difference in torque as I think that is what people could really be noticing...

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50
    On average, depending on whether u go for SE, sport or S line, it seems the average price difference between the 122 and 140 bhp is £1k.

    Considering I'm on a tight budget, I think £1k for an extra 18bhp is quite pricey in my eyes, although it would be nice to have that extra bit of power!

    Also I'm sure that eventually there will be a re-map available for it which would generate more bhp for less than £1k. I'm aware that the warranty will be void but something to consider.

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Hi, what is the difference in torque as I think that is what people could really be noticing...
    Having looked in the brochure it is some 50 Nm, yup that certainly would make a difference to the acceleration of the car...

  11. #10
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ahfh1 View Post
    On average, depending on whether u go for SE, sport or S line, it seems the average price difference between the 122 and 140 bhp is £1k.

    Considering I'm on a tight budget, I think £1k for an extra 18bhp is quite pricey in my eyes, although it would be nice to have that extra bit of power!

    Also I'm sure that eventually there will be a re-map available for it which would generate more bhp for less than £1k. I'm aware that the warranty will be void but something to consider.
    But how much extra will the 140 be worth come resale time? You may get most of that £1K back.
    Current wheels: Skoda Octavia vRS CR Estate, Race Blue, many extras, 2010 + an old Yamaha motorbike. SWMBO: Audi A6 Allroad, 245, Dakota Grey, a fair number of extras, 2013.
    Looking at an A3 SB 184, Golf GTD, vRS CR Estate or Leon FR 184 - so far edging towards A3

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Having looked in the brochure it is some 50 Nm, yup that certainly would make a difference to the acceleration of the car...
    Wow that would make some difference. For those who have driven the 140bhp, where do u notice most of the torque?

    Is it more torquey at the low end (from stand still) or say on the motorway for overtaking?

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    I've gone for C.O.D. 140 bhp. You get extra 18 bhp, 50nm extra torque, quicker to 60 by 1 second and slightly (only just though so don't buy it for this) better economy. A no brainier except for initial out lay. If you can afford it then do it, as the step up of a grand is good value for what you get, but like most things comes down to money.

    If you compare it to the next step up 1.8 180bhp is another £1700 ish for 1.2 second faster to 60 than C.O.D. Same torque ! (Surprised me!) and far worst fuel economy.I Would still have 1.8 for fun though, but C.O.D. Is pick of bunch for me.
    But I am biased
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10
    I currently dive a mk6 golf tsi 160.

    I test set drove a golf mk7 act 140, same as a3 act I assume. Came away very very impressed with engine performace and economy compared to my 160. If anything felt stronger!

    When I get the chance to test a3 122 I felt the difference between the two felt far more than just 18 ps and a little disappointed. I think the extra torque makes a missive difference and hope to drive a 140 cod in 2014.

  15. #14
    RossR's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by ahfh1 View Post
    For those who have driven the 140bhp, where do u notice most of the torque?

    Is it more torquey at the low end (from stand still) or say on the motorway for overtaking?
    It's in the mid range that the torque shows. The bottom end is a bit weak, so will feel flat if you're in too high a gear for your speed. However, it is more forgiving of gear choice than other petrols I've driven. I can leave it in 6th on the motorway with traffic speed varying down to 40mph.

  16. #15
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    187
    I would have bought the 140 had it been there to order when i did. Saying that the 122 in dynamic is suprisingly powerful and you're at a tonne at no time if you want on the motorway
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Merseyside
    Posts
    34
    If you can afford it go for the 140 as 122 is not alot of power these days (not that i have drove the 122 model) buti always like something with a bit of grunt for those overtakes. I also think that the value on resale will justify the price difference between the 2 engines.
    As you have said it is more powerful and effecient so although it is £1k more expensive you would save some money in the long run on fuel, you may not get the £1k back but that coupled with the resale vaule being higher i would go for the 140.

    My 2p's worth.
    2013 (63) Audi A3 1.8TFSi Sportback Manual S-Line in Glacier White,Privacy Glass, Xenons,Sat-Nav,

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    17
    I have not driven a 122 but have ordered a 140 and can wholeheartedly recommend it. We were originally planning on going with the 2.0 TDI. After a test drive where we were, not exactly disappointed...it was extremely capable but not much fun, I started looking at the other engine options. On paper the 1.4 CoD looked good, so we tracked down one for a test drive. Glad we did...it was an awful lot of fun! I used to have a MKV VW GTI with a 200 HP 2.0T. Granted, I haven't driven that car in over three years, but the 1.4 CoD felt every bit as fun as lively as that car disk if not even more so. I would say the difference between the two engines more than justifies the initial outlay, and as others have mentioned, once you factor in the improved economy and better resale the CoD will likely pay for itself. It's a no-brainier, IMHO. I would also echo the sentiment above to compromise a bit on other toys if you have to to get the better engine.

    GS
    sftdi likes this.

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18
    I have the 122 with s-tronic and it makes for a very relaxing, pleasant cruising driving style but it doesn't encourage you to drive it hard (although I don't want to). Having said that, it goes pretty well when pushed, although a bit flat around 30 - 50 ish. The 140 wasn't available to order when I placed my order or I would have gone for it.

    Ordering now, I would definitely go for the 140. I wonder if Audi will cease the 122 in the 8V's lifespan - it seems a bit redundant to have 2 x 1.4 engines in the range, one of which is considerably better with only a modest price differential (£850ish?)?

  20. #19
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Piranha View Post
    ....... it goes pretty well when pushed, although a bit flat around 30 - 50 ish.
    Sorry for a dirty diesel boy butting in here but it was for the above reason I opted for the 2.0TDI (150BHP), cant't comment on the COD as not driven it, and was not available at time of order, but the diesel still has an additional 40Nm of torque over the COD engine so should have a little more grunt in the mid range......would be really interested in seeing some in gear acceleration figures if they were available for all 3 engines.

    Overall I think there is little to choose between the 1.4TFSI & 1.4TFSI COD and between 1.4TFSI COD & 2.0TDI but felt felt there was a bigger enough difference between 1.4TFSI and 2.0TDI to warrant the extra cost for me
    Last edited by Daveotto; 11th October 2013 at 12:51.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    If you tow trailers occasionally, or do a lot of miles like I do, the TDI is a no brainer for me I prefer the way diesels drive as well anyway.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  22. #21
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Sorry for a dirty diesel boy butting in here but it was for the above reason I opted for the 2.0TDI (150BHP), cant't comment on the COD as not driven it, and was not available at time of order, but the diesel still has an additional 40Nm of torque over the COD engine so should have a little more grunt in the mid range......would be really interested in seeing some in gear acceleration figures if they were available for all 3 engines.

    Overall I think there is little to choose between the 1.4TFSI & 1.4TFSI COD and between 1.4TFSI COD & 2.0TDI but felt felt there was a bigger enough difference between 1.4TFSI and 2.0TDI to warrant the extra cost for me
    It's fine if you do longer distances and the mileage that pays back the extra cost of a diesel. However if you are like me it would be very questionable to purchase one because of the dpf issues it would have and the extra cost of the fuel. But I don't know why Audi do not post in gear acceleration figures as they are far more important than 0-62mhp ones..

  23. #22
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    It's fine if you do longer distances and the mileage that pays back the extra cost of a diesel. However if you are like me it would be very questionable to purchase one because of the dpf issues it would have and the extra cost of the fuel. But I don't know why Audi do not post in gear acceleration figures as they are far more important than 0-62mhp ones..
    Sounds like cost was/is an important factor for you, which for me it was not, so seems to be pushing you down the petrol route. I test drove the 1.4TFSI and my previous 8P was the 1.4TFSI and both were prefectly good and would not have baulked at either if I had similar constraints but just wanted a bit more mid range power
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  24. #23
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    I use premium unleaded in petrols anyway - made a big difference in my old car in terms of economy - which is more expensive that diesel anyway.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  25. #24
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Sorry for a dirty diesel boy butting in here but it was for the above reason I opted for the 2.0TDI (150BHP).....
    I've just come from a 170HP Passat with 350Nm torque which was great for overtaking, but to be honest I tended to use the power just because it was there. My commute is 20 miles each way of single lane country roads and it was too tempting to overtake because you could. For me, it's safer and more relaxing to bimble along at traffic speed in relative silence compared to the Passat and arrive 1 minute later! Fuel economy is almost identical too.

    Horses for courses, but I don't miss the diesel at all.

  26. #25
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Sounds like cost was/is an important factor for you, which for me it was not, so seems to be pushing you down the petrol route. I test drove the 1.4TFSI and my previous 8P was the 1.4TFSI and both were prefectly good and would not have baulked at either if I had similar constraints but just wanted a bit more mid range power
    It would do, however I need an engine that produces nearly 200ps and about 290 Nm but will return the economy near that of a diesel. The 1.8 comes closer to my needs...

  27. #26
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    It would do, however I need an engine that produces nearly 200ps and about 290 Nm but will return the economy near that of a diesel. The 1.8 comes closer to my needs...
    Agree from a standing start the 1.8TFSI will be much quicker than the 2.0TDI but after looking at the configurator I was surprised to see that the 1.8TFSI only has 150nm of torque, the same as the 1.4COD but does deliver it over a wider rpm range, but mpg figures are considerably lower for the 1.8tfsi (49mpg combined) compared to the 2.0TDI (63mpg combined).
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  28. #27
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Agree from a standing start the 1.8TFSI will be much quicker than the 2.0TDI but after looking at the configurator I was surprised to see that the 1.8TFSI only has 150nm of torque, the same as the 1.4COD but does deliver it over a wider rpm range, but mpg figures are considerably lower for the 1.8tfsi (49mpg combined) compared to the 2.0TDI (63mpg combined).
    C.O.D. (And 1.8) Has 250 NM torque not 150 NM
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

  29. #28
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    C.O.D. (And 1.8) Has 250 NM torque not 150 NM
    Fragup thanks for the correction, but still much lower than the 2.0TDI (340Nm)
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  30. #29
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Fragup thanks for the correction, but still much lower than the 2.0TDI (340Nm)
    Needs it to compensate for all that extra weight (85kgs than C.O.D.) is why it's slower to 60,
    heavy noisy diesel can't use the extra power !

    Only joking have driven Diesel 2.0ltr and is a great engine. Am just jealous as I have another 5 - 6 week wait !
    Daveotto likes this.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

  31. #30
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    Needs it to compensate for all that extra weight (85kgs than C.O.D.) is why it's slower to 60,
    heavy noisy diesel can't use the extra power !

    Only joking have driven Diesel 2.0ltr and is a great engine. Am just jealous as I have another 5 - 6 week wait !

    Think this thread shows that there ain't a bad engine amongst them all
    Fragup likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  32. #31
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Think this thread shows that there ain't a bad engine amongst them all
    i have said it before Audi has nailed it on the cross section of engines. The 1.4 TFSI 122 bhp seams the win the awards,
    but I must admit, I do read the S3 thread with a degree of envy ! Seriously quick for a hatch back, would beat my mates Lotus elise in a straight line (not in corners i suspect) May be next time !
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

  33. #32
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    i have said it before Audi has nailed it on the cross section of engines. The 1.4 TFSI 122 bhp seams the win the awards,
    but I must admit, I do read the S3 thread with a degree of envy ! Seriously quick for a hatch back, would beat my mates Lotus elise in a straight line (not in corners i suspect) May be next time !
    Yea, my heart says S3 as well but head says I am perfectly happy with the TDI.

    My 8P 1.4TFSI was a great engine and have said elsewhere that a French colleague of mine thought I had mine deliberately under badged after I took him out for spin. Taking my new car over to France again in a couple of weeks and will take him for another spin and ram the back of his head into the head rest!!!!!
    Last edited by Daveotto; 11th October 2013 at 22:32.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  34. #33
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Fragup thanks for the correction, but still much lower than the 2.0TDI (340Nm)
    Hate to correct you again, but the TDI is 320Nm (350Nm for the 184PS)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  35. #34
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    I used to want a really fast car (S3 etc), but I'm just not that bothered any more. You get to use the power of a car like that so little on a commute or even otherwise that I'd just rather refinement, assistance systems to make journeys comfortable, and enough speed for overtaking when needed. Economy and running costs are a win for the TDI to me, £20 a year tax, great economy and great in-gear pull for overtaking I don't envy the S3s economy!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  36. #35
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Hate to correct you again, but the TDI is 320Nm (350Nm for the 184PS)
    cheers, that's what happens when you type and watch footie at the same time
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  37. #36
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I used to want a really fast car (S3 etc), but I'm just not that bothered any more. You get to use the power of a car like that so little on a commute or even otherwise that I'd just rather refinement, assistance systems to make journeys comfortable, and enough speed for overtaking when needed. Economy and running costs are a win for the TDI to me, £20 a year tax, great economy and great in-gear pull for overtaking I don't envy the S3s economy!
    Your best off avoiding the S3 for towing ! You wouldn't want your glider taking off before you got to the airfield !
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

  38. #37
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Heh, I think it'd run out of fuel before I got there with an S3!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  39. #38
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    i have said it before Audi has nailed it on the cross section of engines. The 1.4 TFSI 122 bhp seams the win the awards,
    but I must admit, I do read the S3 thread with a degree of envy ! Seriously quick for a hatch back, would beat my mates Lotus elise in a straight line (not in corners i suspect) May be next time !

    Compared to my remapped 1.6 ecoboost the diesel isn't in the same league as the ecoboost, in the form I have it in, it is just about the sweetest engine I've ever had in a car, it also sounds very very nice. When I drove the A3 saloon with the diesel engine I could certainly feel the extra weight of the diesel lump in the front. I know that 1.8 has the same torque as the 1.4, but to satisfy my needs I'd probably have that remapped as well..

  40. #39
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Compared to my remapped 1.6 ecoboost the diesel isn't in the same league as the ecoboost, in the form I have it in, it is just about the sweetest engine I've ever had in a car, it also sounds very very nice. When I drove the A3 saloon with the diesel engine I could certainly feel the extra weight of the diesel lump in the front. I know that 1.8 has the same torque as the 1.4, but to satisfy my needs I'd probably have that remapped as well..
    You do seem to like your current ecoboost engine as have mentioned it on a few occasions in posts in this forum, pity Ford can't build premium cars around a pretty decent engine as you would be happy as a Sand boy but not sure the OP was asking for a view of Ford engines.
    Last edited by Daveotto; 12th October 2013 at 15:08.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  41. #40
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    34
    We've got the 122 and its nippy enough for me. I'm 42 now been there done that with really fast cars when I was younger. Saying that though the 122 is still fast and were still running ours in, so not floored it yet .

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A4 Avant 2.0l TDi 140 bhp fuel economy
    By neal.aldum in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 19:40
  2. Cambelt for remapped 140 bhp
    By V16 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th April 2010, 19:52
  3. A4 Avant 2.0l TDI 140 bhp fuel economy
    By neal.aldum in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th January 2010, 00:33
  4. 170 or 140 bhp - advice wanted
    By Tarks in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 31st January 2008, 02:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO