Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Daveotto
  • 2 Post By cemerson

Thread: What car minor niggle - no clock display

4th Gear

Status

What car minor niggle - no clock display

just reading the September 20th entry for the What Car "our car" review and agree with the stated minor niggle that when the MMI is down and the DIS is displaying the digital speedo there is no line of sight clock display.

Via the thuimbwheel you can scroll and see the date but not the time. As I tend to have the digital speedo displayed 95%+ of the time not having the time displayed as one of thumbwheel options is a bit of a miss for me and would be a lot more useful than the date.

Is there any way of geting this reconfigured, and what would be the cost, as its a minor niggle i would not want to pay huge amounts to resolve it.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    I find this really annoying too. It also gets hidden when the Stop Start warning is being displayed. Most of the time it is when I am stopped that I want to look at the time!

Also wish you could default the MMI to down!

5th Gear

Status
    I agree! I usually have the digital speedo up, and the screen down - and this sadly also removes all the clocks. Seems odd that you can scroll through and select the date, but not the time. Maybe Audi will do an update at some point and fix it as I guess it's just a software glitch.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    I usually have the screen up - I thought I'd have it down a lot more than I do but it doesn't actually restrict any vision as it doesn't really poke up above the front of the windscreen from my point of view.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Just read the what car updates as I hadn't seen them in a while, and noticed this for October - Our cars: Audi A3 Sportback - October - What Car?

One of my favourite parts of the A3’s cabin is its MMI rotary selector, located on the centre console.

[..]

The fact it vibrates when you have an incoming call is a nice touch, too.
    Really?! Anyone else noticed this? Will have to check next time I get a call...
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Odd, why would it vibrate, only value would be if you drive one handed with your other hand permanently on the rotary dial
    JohnnyM100, Smythy and Buneet like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, thought much the same. I'll try and remember to have a look next time i get a call.

6th Gear

Status
    Another minor niggle I have - the MMI doesn't play MP3s 'gapless' - there is a pause between tracks, which is quite annoying. You would have thought that a modern system would be able to play media without gaps.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Another minor niggle I have - the MMI doesn't play MP3s 'gapless' - there is a pause between tracks, which is quite annoying. You would have thought that a modern system would be able to play media without gaps.
    Don't know if you are aware of this so apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

MP3 wasn't designed for gapless playback. The length of an MP3 is always rounded up to a whole number of "frames". There is an extension to the format that works round this, but you need to have your MP3's encoded with some extra information and have support for it in your player. So there is a chance that the MMI supports it and the problem is with the MP3s you're playing, but to be honest I'd be surprised. It's more likely that the MMI doesn't support the extension.

6th Gear

Status
    Nope, the MP3s are fine when played through other sources so pretty sure there isn't a problem with them.

1st Gear

Status
    I just look at the bottom of the screen in the middle of the car, quote inconvenient but at least it's there.
    Also is it possible to shuffle the songs when using an ipod?

6th Gear

Status
    I think I remember someone else said that was a tech pack only thing.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Odd, why would it vibrate, only value would be if you drive one handed with your other hand permanently on the rotary dial
    Tested this yesterday, it's a load of rubbish as expected
    Daveotto and Smythy like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Tested this yesterday, it's a load of rubbish as expected
    His phone is probably on vibrate, on a high setting in the armrest up against the side or front of inside of arm rest, the vibration could filter down the centre to the controls ?
    It's not that far to travel as is pretty much next to main dial control 10 - 20 cms ish and is all connected plastic so quite possible,
    but this is a bit obvious so I am sure someone would have checked this before judging ?
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    but this is a bit obvious so I am sure someone would have checked this before judging ?
    Not obvious enough for him to have thought that, clearly...

6th Gear

Status
    Here's something I discovered accidentally yesterday - If you press the big '0.0' button at the bottom of the instrument cluster to show the mileage, it also shows the clock briefly before going back to whatever mode you were on. If you press it twice (or just press it once while the mileage is displayed - ie, as the car is starting) it'll reset your mileage counter though, so watch out for that if you don't intend to