Shiraz Red..... Yes or No?!

Saabman

Reaction score
Good evening...... As the title says really..... I am configuring my A3 and am looking for something a little different, colour wise, and I keep getting drawn to the Shiraz red. I've not sent he colour in the flesh.... I will have to try and find a dealer with a car this colour to have a look at.
can I have your opinions? Has anyone seen the colour? It is a shame that I can't have the a line with the chestnut interior... Black looks a bit dark. I've currently got a parchment leather interior in my Saab... It brightens up the interior considerably.

I still really want a petrol Quattro model, but I want the 211 bhp 2.0 engine..... I don't know if it ever will come into production...

I can't justify the s3!

I say yes! I was planning to buy Daytona until I saw Shiraz and went for it. Not saying it's better but certainly as good to me, and it will be a lot rarer. Some will say re-sale value may be hit but I don't buy cars worrying about what they are worth in 3 years.

Colour poll suggests that Shiraz Red along with Beluga Brown are the least popular colours, only 3 out of 206 votes in the colour poll

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/192236-what-colour-your-8v.html

they are my least favourite colours as well, but it doesn't matter what other people / i think, as long as you like it.
it will also be very exclusive / rare which in my opinion is a bonus
Misano Red, which is my choice doesn't do much better with 10 votes out of 206, but for me that is a good thing as makes mine a bit more unique.

In the configurator I immediately ruled out Shiraz and Beluga as looking dull. Only in the flesh I thought Shiraz was very nice. For all I know Beluga is amazing but never seen one. It's a self-propagating thing. The more a colour is around, the more people will want it. Likewise Shiraz and Beluga are possibly least favourite because no one has seen them before ordering.

After having my car for the last couple of days, and receiving so many compliments on the colour I would say an unreserved YES!. Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with being a little different. Life would be very boring otherwise if we all had the same colours. If you like it, then thats what matters. As Fragup mentioned there are only a few of us on here with this colour, myself and snakehips included. I've included a few pictures on the A3 pictures thread (pg 18), and there are some other photos from a couple of others who have this colour earlier in the same thread. (I know that a member known as 7pastshilton has quite a few photos on there, can't remember the other members name)

Last edited:
I think its a colour that really needs to be seen in the flesh. A while back my dealership had loads of A1s in it, but I've never seen a shiraz A3 apart from photos. Looking in the brochure I did consider it, but when I saw it on a car it wasn't purple enough for me.

Hi, it is nice however it isn't outstanding in my opinion. It would be nice if Audi were a tad more adventurous with their colour choices as they always seem to go for the darker colours, aside from white and silver. I'd love something like a Candy Red without having to pay the extra £2k or so....

Thanks for all the replies... I've called a few dealers and I think that I have had success in finding an A3 locally, which I can view, but I'll have to be quick as it is being collected by its new proud owner tomorrow.
As an aside, many many moons ago, I had a company Rover 220. It was night fire red, a beautiful metallic dark red. The car was questionable, but the colour was stunning!

Thanks for all the replies... I've called a few dealers and I think that I have had success in finding an A3 locally, which I can view, but I'll have to be quick as it is being collected by its new proud owner tomorrow.
As an aside, many many moons ago, I had a company Rover 220. It was night fire red, a beautiful metallic dark red. The car was questionable, but the colour was stunning!

Yep. I had a 216 and it was Nightfire Red. Needed to be fairly clean to show depth but when it did - amazing colour!

John.

Well..... Just a quick update.....,I have been to see the A3 in question and I have made up my mind. Shiraz red is the colour for me! It looks fantastic!

Well..... Just a quick update.....,I have been to see the A3 in question and I have made up my mind. Shiraz red is the colour for me! It looks fantastic!

Great, that will make 4 of us in the UK! Mind you, that also means mine will be less rare...

Where in the country are you, Snakehips? I might change my mind if you live closeby! I'm in Kent. I would hate to ruin your exclusivity! I've chosen the same equipment as you for the options... I just can't make up my mind whether to go for the 183 diesel or the 180 petrol...as mentioned in the original post, I really want a bit more petrol power! I've got 210 bhp petrol now and I'm really scared I'm going to miss the extra power.......

Like snakehips I also have the 184ps diesel. I haven't given it a good boot yet as its only a couple of days old, but early impressions are there is plenty of oomph under the right foot, not lacking at all!. Its great that you like the shiraz, although to echo snakehips it will be a little less rare.. I'm ok though I'm up in berkshire so we won't ruin each others exclusivity.

I'm in Herts so so long as smk82 stays west of London and Saabman doesn't venture north of the Dartford tunnel we can all have our own exclusive territory.

I'm in Herts so so long as smk82 stays west of London and Saabman doesn't venture north of the Dartford tunnel we can all have our own exclusive territory.

:box:It will be grass before breakfast if we do cross the line..:jester:

Ha ha! Very funny... Excellent... I'll stay south of the river... The last time I drifted into Essex, I was in a hired white van on the way to Ikea at lakeside. Never again.

Where in the country are you, Snakehips? I might change my mind if you live closeby! I'm in Kent. I would hate to ruin your exclusivity! I've chosen the same equipment as you for the options... I just can't make up my mind whether to go for the 183 diesel or the 180 petrol...as mentioned in the original post, I really want a bit more petrol power! I've got 210 bhp petrol now and I'm really scared I'm going to miss the extra power.......

As far as engine choice goes, have you driven the diesel? I currently have a 200bhp petrol GTi and the diesel was more impressive than that!

Agreed! Plus with the diesel you have the advantage of lower road tax/running costs than the petrol generally.. a "have your cake and eat it" option..:yum:. Did you go for the automatic or the manual version?

Ha ha! Very funny... Excellent... I'll stay south of the river... The last time I drifted into Essex, I was in a hired white van on the way to Ikea at lakeside. Never again.

i still get jittery every time I go 'sarf of the river, which happens far to often these days:whistle2:

Not for a long time.... The last time I drove a diesel was on holiday last year and it was an a4. It was smooth enough, but lacking in power... I'll give the diesel (183) a test drive on your recommendation... If you have been used to 200 bhp it won't be much different to me..... Plus my old Saab is a heavy old bird!