JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daveotto
  • 1 Post By RobH_S3

Thread: Launch control s3

4th Gear

Status

Launch control s3

Has anybody any experience with launch control in the s3? How does it work & does it work well?
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Someone posted a u tube clip, maybe in the main S3 thread, a couple of weeks back of someone using launch control in an S3 and it's pretty epic to the extent that the driver was taken quite by surprise.
    paullowther likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah I saw that video, looked good!

I still don't understand how you actually engage the launch control function though, do you have to press a button or what?!
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

1st Gear

Status
    Paul it's in your handbook.
    Turn off TC select dynamic. select D then put your left foot on the brake and floor the accelerator. Assuming you have S Tronic
    Release the brake and away you go. Make sure handbrake is off too obviously
    A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S Tronic
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

3rd Gear

Status
    I think it's in the book under the S-Tronic section? I think you press and hold the traction control button a number of times then depress the brake and then the throttle, the revs limit at something like 3500rpm, then let go of the brake to launch!

Or something like that anyway? I will be giving it a go once fully run in lol. Ok I only have the 1.8 not an S3 but it should still give a good kick up the backside
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

4th Gear

Status
    I don't have my car yet guys so I can't check the user guide! Scheduled build week of 46!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I think it's in the book under the S-Tronic section? I think you press and hold the traction control button a number of times then depress the brake and then the throttle, the revs limit at something like 3500rpm, then let go of the brake to launch!

Or something like that anyway? I will be giving it a go once fully run in lol. Ok I only have the 1.8 not an S3 but it should still give a good kick up the backside
    I think launch control is only available on the 6 speed wet clutch s-tronic so 1.8T Quattro (not 1.8T FWD) and above.

Can't remember if you have Quattro.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

1st Gear

Status
    I've got a 1.8 Quattro and it has launch control. Works a treat
    A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S Tronic
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

1st Gear

Status
    I have the s3 stronic and I can confirm it is epic and very addictive

As above, turn off tc I turn off start/stop too but not needed. Hold brake peddle with left foot, flat out on throttle with right. Revs are held just over 4000rpm, release the brake and don't crash. I leave it in manual but you can do it in auto I believe.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyM100 View Post
    I think launch control is only available on the 6 speed wet clutch s-tronic so 1.8T Quattro (not 1.8T FWD) and above.

John.
    No Quattro here never mind it will save me eating clutches I guess lol
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Full LED baby !

Status

John.
    do you think it will work with the 2.0 TDI 184 Quattro S tronic then ?
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

2nd Gear

Status
    Mate tested an S3 couple of weeks ago with launch control and only had 170 miles on the clock and no doubt crappy fuel.

With a Vbox same as they use in the magazines.

0-60 4.7s
    0-100 10.9s
    30-130 19s

paullowther likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    do you think it will work with the 2.0 TDI 184 Quattro S tronic then ?
    According to the manual yes, but I don't know how it would behave in real world given the power delivery characteristics of the diesel.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

Full LED baby !

Status
    I hope it will !

maybe it's for that reason they can get a 6.8s 0-62 !
    Last edited by snowfree52; 8th October 2013 at 11:03.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    Mate tested an S3 couple of weeks ago with launch control and only had 170 miles on the clock and no doubt crappy fuel.

With a Vbox same as they use in the magazines.

0-60 4.7s
    0-100 10.9s
    30-130 19s

Christ that's quick, was worried my Stage 1 8P S3 would be quicker but not now!!!

Full LED baby !

Status
    your stage 1 must be around 300-310 hp, no ?
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    your stage 1 must be around 300-310 hp, no ?
    Yep Shark Stage 1, 310ish.
    There's no way it does 0-100 in 10.9 secs tho!

Full LED baby !

Status
    is yours a manual ?
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Yep it's a manual. It's quick, but not that quick.

2nd Gear

Status
    It will be quicker still once ran in and on decent petrol. It does have a decent weight advantage over the 8p aswell though.

1st Gear

Status
    Is there any limit to number of launches you can do? I recall from somewhere on internet that more than 3 launches between services can invaildate warranty? Can anyone with the handbook shed any light?

Full LED baby !

Status
    Wasn't That for the Ferrari Enzo ? Or maybe you had to replace the clutch ?
    Porsche BBK...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadoftoadhall View Post
    Is there any limit to number of launches you can do? I recall from somewhere on internet that more than 3 launches between services can invaildate warranty? Can anyone with the handbook shed any light?
    If that was the case then am sure it would be in bold text somewhere. However I have no doubt that you'd get through a clutch pretty quickly.
    Enjoying my 8V

4th Gear

Status
    If that was the case then am sure it would be in bold text somewhere. However I have no doubt that you'd get through a clutch pretty quickly.
    Damn, I was planning on launch controlling it out of my driveway every morning to work.

1st Gear

Status

Launch control s3

I've done at least 15 so far. At no point have I been told that there is a problem with it affecting warranty or burning clutch out early.

2nd Gear

Status
    You'll probably burn a manual clutch out quickly but them s-tronic clutches don't even flinch if the older S3 and golf R's are anything to go by, even on highly modified cars!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH_S3 View Post
    You'll probably burn a manual clutch out quickly but them s-tronic clutches don't even flinch if the older S3 and golf R's are anything to go by, even on highly modified cars!
    Not that I know much about the stronic box, in a manual the clutch normally goes early from not be used correctly ie excessive slipping, riding the clutch ect. If looked after you can still pull away quickly but it will last for years and years.

Surely because the stronic is computer controlled excessive slipping will not happen?