1.4 TFSI noise on cold start! not related to The Turbo rattle thread!!

First Ever Audi

Reaction score
Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf
Time to kick this one into touch seeing as the Turbo Actuator rod RATTLE thread is all but dead. Since day 1, my car has made a weird noise on startup....and only on startup, when the STOP START kicks in later! the noise isn't there so I'm presuming its normal. I can only describe it as a kind of howl, like a cartoon cat yawning???? It doesn't sound mechanical but it is identical each and every time. Im sure there was a similar thread with a sound bite and they had an identical noise.....this happens regardless of outside temp or AC on or off.....thanks in advance!!!

Hi, could it be the electric fuel pump priming up? The fuel system does run quite a high pressure...

Reactions: First Ever Audi
I get this noise too but it's certainly isn't anything to do with the rattle problem.

I have the same noise you refer to. The noise happens only once on a cold start first thing or if the car has been sitting for an extended period of several hours which would suggest, as cuke2u says, that something is having to be primed.

It would be good to know that it is just a "quirk" of the engine rather than anything untoward.

Wondering does it just occur on the 1.4 (122) or does it happen on the other petrols??

My present and previous 1.4's did this if it's the same noise.

On cold start occasionally and lasts for 20-30 seconds only. RPM is higher than normal low idle, you can hear the turbo whistling and a noisier exhaust as well. Its on choke (excess fuel) but not gauranteed to do it even on a cold frosty morning from previous experience.

Sounds damn well tho. like it's got loads of litres hiding away under the bonnet instead of a baby 1.4

I don't think it is the same noise, mine does the start-up whine but only for about 2-3 seconds and I have a 1.8TFSI.

Identical sound to mine too. But i'm not worried, it still sounds like a pump priming to me.

Identical sound to mine too. But i'm not worried, it still sounds like a pump priming to me.
Is this confirmed as nothing to worry about? My new 1.4 A3 has the same noise on startup under the same conditions.

Reactions: pburv
Is this confirmed as nothing to worry about? My new 1.4 A3 has the same noise on startup under the same conditions.
Yep. My S3 has this noise on start up .It's the fuel pump priming ....Nothing to worry about..:friends:
If you are concerned take it to your dealer and ask them to look at it...:shrug:

Yep. My S3 has this noise on start up .It's the fuel pump priming ....Nothing to worry about..:friends:
If you are concerned take it to your dealer and ask them to look at it...:shrug:
Thanks for your response. I noticed that if I gave it some gas, the noise gets more pronounced. Expected?

Reactions: pburv
Thanks for your response. I noticed that if I gave it some gas, the noise gets more pronounced. Expected?
To be honest I only notice the sort of 'whaling' sound when I start the car.After that I don't hear any more noise...
Maybe as a precaution you should get it booked in at the dealers..I suspect though that nothing is at fault and that you shouldn't worry.Either way your car is new and is covered by warranty so if it is faulty it will get sorted...:friends: