B&O sound SB vs Saloon

LuboS

Reaction score
This is more of an fyi thread, but still, any comments are welcome.
Have recently listened to B&O in both Sportback and Saloon back to back and have to say the Saloon sound has much more integrity.
Subwoofer location in the trunk of a SB does not do it any favors. You get much more unwanted vibration in SB. Coming from a standard audio system you would surely be blown away by SB B&O but in a direct closed vs open interior B&O setup comparison Saloon wins hands down.
If I was to order my A3 again I'd wait for the Saloon for the B&O reason alone. Not to mention the looks. Yes, I hear this practicality argument coming up, but if the A3 is a second car and there is a load lugger parked in your garage already, then its a no-brainer.

so its just down to placement and internal acoustics?
do both cars have the exact same b&o equipment and rms power?

I did wonder about what else would effect the sub in the boot as well, if you put a thick / heavy rubber boot in mat as they fairly close fit the whole area, then fill it up with 'stuff' this has got to have a slight impact on muffling the sound even if low frequency sound is less effected. Also the saloon being a different shape will effect the acoustics (good or bad) even if its the same sound system and assuming nobody has tweaked the setting on either as a few people have said it can be improved noticeably to your taste on the settings.

I would never buy a different car for a better sound system alone though, as much less important than, looks / performance / economy / comfort / practicality etc. would be a fair way down the list.
although at home I have splashed out on a decent sound system (monitor audio speakers etc.), so I do appreciate a good sound system.

Very interesting. The environment is one of the most important factors to the listening experience.

Cars in general however are pretty poor places to enjoy music. For a start the whole surround sound feature isn't natural. When you go to a concert you don't have the same band playing simultaneously in each corner of the room! The road noise doesn't help, and the materials around the cabin are all different which gives a less balanced sound.

I'm surprised however by the substantial differences you heard in your test. It could be that the speakers were set up differently, this would make a huge change.

I had the pleasure of listening to the system in the 3 door and was blown away, as I mentioned in a previous post it was better than the Harmon K sound system in my old mans £130k Merc!

so its just down to placement and internal acoustics?
do both cars have the exact same b&o equipment and rms power?

All looked the same except for the sub location. Configuring the saloon online you get to choose the same b&o option you would for SB so i think the power output stays the same.
however, if you look at the saloons sub from underneath in the trunk, youll find its mounted in the cars frame which means it has something fairly stable to brace against. making sure the sub doesnt move is priority no 1. Not quite the same with SB though.

And as Fragup rightly says anything you put inbetween you and the sub, be it the mat or the removable boot cover, will certainly impact the experience.
I dont dare predicting what will SB b&o sound like with fully loaded boot.

I'm surprised however by the substantial differences you heard in your test. It could be that the speakers were set up differently, this would make a huge change.

i made sure all of the tone settings were reset to default. No EQ, no sweetspot adjustment, no nothing. Same cd source too.
I agree there are all sorts of elements coming in while on the move and you are less likely to care in S3 then in a 1.4A3 too. But, as said, SB fully loaded is likely to get much worse still. Poeple who buy B&O do it for a reason. If its not just a "fancy gadget to show off with" reason, then they will certainly want the best sound they can get.

i made sure all of the tone settings were reset to default. No EQ, no sweetspot adjustment, no nothing. Same cd source too.
I agree there are all sorts of elements coming in while on the move and you are less likely to care in S3 then in a 1.4A3 too. But, as said, SB fully loaded is likely to get much worse still. Poeple who buy B&O do it for a reason. If its not just a "fancy gadget to show off with" reason, then they will certainly want the best sound they can get.

I completely agree. Anytime I buy a set of speakers or headphones I always make sure to do my research and buy the best I can afford.

Besides from the engine in my car the b&o is the thing I'm most looking forward to enjoying.

My car's the 3 door so the results might change again but if I think it could be substantially better I'll look at investing into a proper surround for the sub.

I haven't bought one thing in my car so I can show it off, it's all for personal pleasure and how it makes me feel!

Same boat then. I'll post an update early Dec. By that time I will have explored all the possibilities to get the best out of my SB B&O.