Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By cemerson
  • 1 Post By Jason.s
  • 3 Post By cemerson
  • 1 Post By s3dave
  • 2 Post By cemerson
  • 1 Post By ScottD3
  • 1 Post By LuboS

Thread: mirrors wont fold in certain gear/ at certain speed?

1st Gear

Status

mirrors wont fold in certain gear/ at certain speed?

hi,

Did anyone notice that when selecting the mirror fold option on the door switch that they don't fold when the car is in motion. This happened in 7th, i think i slowed down a bit and it worked after a few tries....not sure why exactly, safety thing?. They always fold when i lock the car so i don't think it is a mechanical issue.

any ideas?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, I think it's just while you are in motion, for obvious reasons. Perhaps they will go in while you are travelling slowly to enable you to get through tight gaps, but I had the switch in fold the other day to try it out, and they only went in when I came to a stop at a junction (!)
    karlabdool likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    yea I did get it to fold while in motion think i was doing 50/60km or so, but i not sure what are the rules audi are using, if it is based on current gear or speed, wind resistance etc. or just a bug

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Why would you need to fold your mirrors in at any speed apart from 1 or 2 mph when passing someone in a tight lane?
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

1st Gear

Status
    narrow main road, ppl avoiding pothholes at speed that sometimes come on your lane, third world country.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    narrow main road, ppl avoiding pothholes at speed that sometimes come on your lane, third world country.
    They must be getting close if you got to fold your mirrors in on a main road at speed.

Good luck.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

6th Gear

Status
    So if someone swerves to miss a pot hole you`ve got the reaction time plus the time to wait for the mirrors fold in to miss them? Or you want to fold in mirrors and hold up traffic to go past something?

Sounds like you need an old sh!tter to beat around in not a shiny new car and rely on gadgets to keep it safe.
    NHN likes this.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

6th Gear

Status
    If the margin is that tight that folding the mirrors is going to make all the difference, why on earth would you want to go at that speed?!
    NHN, Jason.s and ScottD3 like this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    i would be getting one of these babys...

http://www.crabbyblogginglady.com/wp...1/12/12car.jpg
    Jason.s likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    So if someone swerves to miss a pot hole you`ve got the reaction time plus the time to wait for the mirrors fold in to miss them? Or you want to fold in mirrors and hold up traffic to go past something?

Sounds like you need an old sh!tter to beat around in not a shiny new car and rely on gadgets to keep it safe.
    actually pot holes/bad spots don't always move, so i fold way before i reach that part of the road...

and yes i use another car to go to work (refuse to let a3 park in sun, go through really bad roads)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    If the margin is that tight that folding the mirrors is going to make all the difference, why on earth would you want to go at that speed?!
    dude i could be going zero, if someone is doing 1km they can still come across and hit me.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    i would be getting one of these babys...

http://www.crabbyblogginglady.com/wp...1/12/12car.jpg
    lol nice 1hp , i rather my 180 tho, the road it is on looks very good/

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    dude i could be going zero, if someone is doing 1km they can still come across and hit me.
    If you are going 0, the mirrors will fold in - no problem!
    NHN and Jason.s like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    If you are going 0, the mirrors will fold in - no problem!
    are you 100% sure on that? just because the speedo says zero, that doesnt mean the car is at a standstill.
    Think ice -abs failure -wheel lock and wind resistance sensor on the mirror preventing the fold. ba dum ching

6th Gear

Status
    I don't think there's a wind resistance sensor on the mirror. Otherwise they wouldn't fold on windy days, which would be stupid.

Status
    The car thinks your doing 0kph. They will fold.
    I can't see Audi putting a restriction on them not folding but you never know.

My mirrors fold in and out find at over 70mph without any issues.
    karlabdool likes this.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Reverse Gear

Status
    And maybe there is an IQ sensor in the headrest preventing dangerous operations at higher speeds depending on the reported value. Makes sense, doesn't it? I'm loving this thread
    karlabdool likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LuboS View Post
    And maybe there is an IQ sensor in the headrest preventing dangerous operations at higher speeds depending on the reported value. Makes sense, doesn't it? I'm loving this thread

ha ha good one, but seriously, at the end of the day i know what i have to do to save my mirrors, because it got hit already.

btw if anyone wants removal instructions for the mirror glass,turn signal and mirror casing gimme a buzz. i'm a pro now lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

2nd Gear

Status
    I'd have thought you'd be better off without electric folding mirrors. Then if they do clip something they fold in virtually instantly without damaging expensive mechanisms.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. My ( a bit more serious opinion now is)I believe you gain some 3-4 cm by folding the mirror down. If thats what makes the difference between the one-piece vs multi-piece mirror in higher speeds then sure, fold away if you can. I find it of not much help, but again, thats just me.

1st Gear

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LuboS View Post
    Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. My ( a bit more serious opinion now is)I believe you gain some 3-4 cm by folding the mirror down. If thats what makes the difference between the one-piece vs multi-piece mirror in higher speeds then sure, fold away if you can. I find it of not much help, but again, thats just me.

well sometimes i like hit the DRS ( i mean the mirror fold switch) to gain that extra 5kmph to make the pass.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post
    I'd have thought you'd be better off without electric folding mirrors. Then if they do clip something they fold in virtually instantly without damaging expensive mechanisms.
    They still fold in the same as manual mirrors if they're knocked & you can manually fold them aswell.

Also there is a safety system employed for some chassis where it wont allow folding at speed.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK