question from the dark side.....

Sootchucker

Reaction score
HI all, not posted here for a while as I defected across to the dark side with my newly delivered Golf 7 GTD. Whilst it pretty much exceeds all my expectations,there are a couple of niggling little issues, that I would like an Audi owners (A3 8V) perspective on - all to do with the infotainment units (which I expect large chunks of the hardware are shared across all the VAG MQB platform brands).

Basically, the two "issues" I have are the following, and I wanted to know if A3 8V drivers have the same issues or if the "VW" units are just crippled ? I have opted for the top of the range Discover Navigation Pro by the way.

1. In the drivers DIS (the colour screen between the tacho and speedo), when I'm in the Phone menu, I only have access to last calls list, and can't select my contacts list. VW UK have confirmed that I do indeed need to access this via the actual infotainment touch screen, which obviously means taking a hand off the steering wheel and eyes off the road ? Can you guys access contacts using the DIS and the MFSW controls, or do you have to use the MMI control and the central screen in the dash ?

2. whilst the Ipod integration via the MDI (AMI) socket is pretty good (with album art, albums, songs, artists etc) all being searchable, there is no longer any option to play Ipod playlists ? Can you play standard Ipod / Iphone playlists vis the AMI socket ?

Both of the above options were available in my older technology Scirocco and was just wondering if you Audi boys have these, and whether or not its going to be a VCDS thing, or are they not available to anyone ?

Hope you don't mind a lowly VW owner treading the hallowed ground of an Audi forum :p

Last edited:
1. In the drivers DIS (the colour screen between the tacho and speedo), when I'm in the Phone menu, I only have access to last calls list, and can't select my contacts list. VW UK have confirmed that I do indeed need to access this via the actual infotainment touch screen, which obviously means taking a hand off the steering wheel and eyes off the road ? Can you guys access contacts using the DIS and the MFSW controls, or do you have to use the MMI control and the central screen in the dash ?

2. whilst the Ipod integration via the MDI (AMI) socket is pretty good (with album art, albums, songs, artists etc) all being searchable, there is no longer any option to play Ipod playlists ? Can you play standard Ipod / Iphone playlists vis the AMI socket ?

In my new A3 Sportback S-Line 8V, I can do both of these:

1. Using the controls on the steering wheel, I can access the contacts list no problem with just using the screen in the DIS. I go across to the telephone menu, and then use the wheel on the steering wheel to scroll through the list. This is using the standard Bluetooth telephone integration. I don't need to take my hands off the steering wheel.

2. When I have an iPod connected through the AMI, I can browse through everything that I could on the iPod itself. Artists, Albums, Playlists etc. I just don't have the option to shuffle the songs.

Thanks Stef, so it looks like VW have crippled this in the VW via software. I've just checked the part numbers of the infotainment control package (the box that's in the glovebox), and apart from the first bit (VW vs. Audi signifier), they are both the same part.

I'm not sure if the infotainment units are the same any more are they? They used to be, but the new A3 has the MMI which I think is totally Audi specific, and not shared with the other brands in the VAG group

I'm not sure if the infotainment units are the same any more are they? They used to be, but the new A3 has the MMI which I think is totally Audi specific, and not shared with the other brands in the VAG group

I'm pretty sure that's just the input method. Audi uses MMI and VW use touch screen, however they are both connected by the same optical cable to the processing unit (which houses the DVD and SD card slots) in the glovebox. It's this box that does all the processing. Obviously the software loaded into each unti must be different as Audi screens are different from VW screens etc, but I'd bet my bottom dollar, that the basic hardware units are the same and it's just the programming of them that's different.

The darkside, always consider this to be BMW. ;)

Reactions: JohnM100 and cemerson
Cool, you mean I'm actually welcome :p

Of course.

Infact, i nearly bought the Mk7 GTD, after test driving one, but sadly i wasn't prepared to wait 6 months+ for one.

My local dealer found a good spec 184 TDI Quattro, so basically the GTD with four wheel drive. ;)

GTD/standard 2.0 TDI Golf was on my shortlist as well, but the Audi interior did it for me. Not a fan of touchscreens in cars either. It's still a great car though (did drive one of the 150PS TDIs), and I'd have one if the A3 didn't exist / was too expensive / not suitable for some other reason.

Last edited: