Satellite navigation SD Card Based

green3

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just ordered my S3 SB but cannot make my mind up regards the SD Card Sat Nav. Does anyone have one fitted? Is it any good? I have read that it has european mapping (2D of course which is great?) but do Audi provide any map updates as part of the deal? If i order the SD card NAV do i get an aerial on the roof :)

Lots of questions I know, but very keen to hear from anyone with an SD Card NAV.

Cheers,

green3

1. I have SD card navigation and I think it works great compared to my old Garmin.
2. You will have to buy map updates, but they will be available.
3. The aerial serves multiple purposes and is always fitted.
Conclusion, you will not be disappointed. Have fun!

I have the SD card satnav and am pleased with it. It was a no cost option when the sportback first launched in March this year.
It took a bit of getting used to, having been used to TomTom for several years.

It has been accurate (so far) and convenient to have it permanently in the car!

The quick recalculation of route in the event of traffic problems has been useful.
I guess this feature will need to be renewed after a year?

I recommend you go for it if it's in budget.

Is the HDD satnav actually the same as the SD version, as far as mapping and graphics and general functionality are concerned?

I dont like it, and dont use it at all now switched back to my garmin. I use postcodes and it doesnt get street names and numbers like my Garmin, no exact GPS speed either garmin shows this so handy in areas where cameras are a plenty. Maybe using it incorrectly but not a fan of card based nav's.

Is the HDD satnav actually the same as the SD version, as far as mapping and graphics and general functionality are concerned?

No, I think the SD version doesn't have a 3D view for one (though not sure). I think there may be other differences as well.

No, I think the SD version doesn't have a 3D view for one (though not sure). I think there may be other differences as well.

On the SD version, there is a 3D option to view the map. However, IMO, it doesn't look particularly pleasing to the eye (probably due to the lower screen resolution). I always keep mine on 2D.

It would be interesting to have a tech pack sat nav and an SD card sat nav side by side to compare the differences.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who have replied - looks like I will have to add the SD Card SATNAV... Build date 9th December so hoping to get it first week in Jan 14. Nice.

Hi can anyone tell me the latest firmware revision please, my car arrives today and I want to make sure the latest was fitted, thanks.

Correction: I wrote that the rooftop antenna (which has several functions) is always fitted. This is not the case, I just spotted an A3 without it. So when ordering without phonebox or navigation, it might be missing.

Correction: I wrote that the rooftop antenna (which has several functions) is always fitted. This is not the case, I just spotted an A3 without it. So when ordering without phonebox or navigation, it might be missing.

Double correction. The loaner we have does not have phone box or Nav BUT it does have the antenna .. Check!!!