Badger5AH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cuke2u

Thread: SD Card Sound Quality?

Neutral

Status

SD Card Sound Quality?

I have transferred many of my CD's to a

Some of the transfers are just fine, but others appear to have lost sound quality. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    What bitrate did you rip them as & what did you use to rip the cd's, I usually use 192bit for my music, not to large file size & still good quality.

Make sure the sd card is genuine as there's a hell of allot of dodgy ones about on amazon aswell.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    I wouldn't have thought the SD card would have any effect - as long as it works of course. The files are digital, and a lower 'quality' card can't affect music quality like that. It'll be down to how you ripped them - bit rates etc as NHN says.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Agree with both above needs to be 192 or above for good quality.
    320 takes too much space.
    I used Nero to rip them and for the iTunes ones I'd acquired I used a free converter to change them to mp3.
    Iv noticed a lot of older CDs I have aren't as good quality as the new ones
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    If you are after perfection, get a copy of ExactAudioCopy and LAME and google a tutorial on how to set it up for quality
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

4th Gear

Status
    Is there a way to rip the cd to card using the MMI system?
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

6th Gear

Status
    I doubt it. The car has a 'jukebox' but the space you get is pretty small in comparison to most external sources (really Audi - only 20gb? What is this, 2004?), and I think it can only copy from SD card rather than rip CDs to it, but can't remember.

4th Gear

Status
    Does anybody know the usable size of the internal jukebox? That's the side after you've given space over to the preinstalled software?
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Does anybody know the usable size of the internal jukebox? That's the side after you've given space over to the preinstalled software?
    If memory serves me they advertise 10 gig, bit pants really. That's why I have my 80 gig iPod classic connected

Only problem with having that much music available is finding stuff lol
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    What bitrate did you rip them as & what did you use to rip the cd's, I usually use 192bit for my music, not to large file size & still good quality.

Make sure the sd card is genuine as there's a hell of allot of dodgy ones about on amazon aswell.
    I used the maximum bit rate I think - 320bit. I transferred them from my PC to SD card

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If you have 320 bit & crap quality, you have something else wrong there tbh.

6th Gear

Status
    Bitrate isn't everything. Could be all kinds of things - 320kbps doesn't automatically mean it will be high quality.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok there are variables, but generally if its copied from a good source at higher bit rate, as per his assuming scenario, then he shouldn't face quality issues.

6th Gear

Status
    No. All depends on the source file really - compressing a bad file is going to get you a worse file, even if you are compressing it 'only a bit' by using a higher bitrate. Could even have been compressed further and then re-encoded at a higher bitrate by someone to pass it off as a 320kbps file perhaps, if they are downloaded.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Huh, that's what I just said, copied from a good source.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Huh, that's what I just said, copied from a good source.
    I copied most of mine from CDs onto PC then to SD card? The CD's appear to be the problem, but only one or two?

Such as:-

C:\Users\Public\Music\Dean Martin - Yes I know Dean Martin!!!

128 MB (134,764,802 bytes)

27 Files, 1 Folders

6th Gear

Status
    Hi, I guess that the CD's source would be dubious. In those days, and I remember them well, it would have been a studio recording onto tape then to a master cut followed by pressings onto a vinyl. Even then, compared to more recent recordings, the quality might have be lower.It really depends upon what was used as the source of the CD though. If the master recording was no longer available it may well be taken from a record..
    Little Red Monster likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Higher quality speakers always reveal more details, good or bad. So you may have been pretty satisfied listening to your music through pc speakers or earbuds. Playing the same stuff on b&o is a bit of a "reality check". Unless of course your home audio is Bowers and Wilkins or anything to that end in which case i cant explain the percepted quality change.

Neutral

Status
    Yes, that makes sense. Will have to take more care in future selecting my CDs'

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LuboS View Post
    Higher quality speakers always reveal more details, good or bad. So you may have been pretty satisfied listening to your music through pc speakers or earbuds. Playing the same stuff on b&o is a bit of a "reality check". Unless of course your home audio is Bowers and Wilkins or anything to that end in which case i cant explain the percepted quality change.
    So having a quality system can produce problems!! I had not thought of that. Thanks

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Red Monster View Post
    I copied most of mine from CDs onto PC
    How you did this is the important part though!