Full LED Headlights Vs LED daytime running lights

ahfh1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to purchase either an Audi A3 or (dare I say it!) a Seat Leon FR.

The Seat Leon FR comes with Full LED Headlights, whereas the Audi comes with LED daytime running lights. Is there any differences between the two?

Can Full LED Headlights be used as daytime running lights?

Even more confusing is that Audi uses Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights! So looks like there are 3 types of similar lights:

1. Full LED Headlights
  2. LED daytime running lights
  3. Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights

Which is the best out of the three, and are there any particular merits?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm looking to purchase either an Audi A3 or (dare I say it!) a Seat Leon FR.

The Seat Leon FR comes with Full LED Headlights, whereas the Audi comes with LED daytime running lights. Is there any differences between the two?

Can Full LED Headlights be used as daytime running lights?

Even more confusing is that Audi uses Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights! So looks like there are 3 types of similar lights:
  1. Full LED Headlights
  2. LED daytime running lights
  3. Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights
Which is the best out of the three, and are there any particular merits?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum ahfh1.

I think you are almost there, but not quite. The law now states all new cars must now have daytime running lights (DRL), so your option 2 is not valid. These are lights that come on as soon as the car is started and cannot be overridden.

The options available, in ascending price order are
1. Standard halagon lights, which have halagon DRLs (no extra cost)
2. Xenon plus lights, which have LED DRLs (standard on S-line, otherwise a cost option of £1250)
3. Full LED lights, which have LED DRLs (a cost option of around £2000... This cost may reduce depending on other chosen options)

I have chosen the xenon light package (which comes with other goodies, see brochure), which I am very impressed with, so much brighter than halogens. I have not seen the full LED lights, but by all reports the light output is not much different to xenons.

Hope this helps
Mark

Ps. The "build a car configurator" on the Audi web site Home will describe the options in more detail.

Last edited:
The full LED headlights are much more energy efficient and apart from the striking looks the main benefit is that the light produced is almost like daylight and there is much less eyestrain at night than other lights. They include within the unit cornering lights and all weather lighting. The beam pattern can adjust to different speeds or road types dependant on other specification options.

It all depends on your budget as to whether they are worth it. :think:

Anyone actually have full LED yet? I don't know if we've yet reached the time where first orders have been delivered. Would love to see a real review and photos!

I've seen them on the Leon. They look awful at night. Too bright and the light all blends into one so you cant make the drls out. Wonder if the Audi ones will be different?

Too bright??? Cool, I'll be able to wear my shades at night! What are drls?

I'm currently driving a new Leon with full LED, really advise you test drive these as coming from xenon headlights it really fustrated me how dull they are. Obviously the a3 could be different.

The spread is fantastic but I would compare the brightness to a more white halogen look rather than xenon.

Looking to order a s3 for next march, really unsure which headlight option to go for at the moment, what drives best or looks best!

Surely at £795 option on the S3 the LED Headlights must stand for some advancement in technology and visual presence rather than just being more efficient?

I've seen them on the Leon. They look awful at night. Too bright and the light all blends into one so you cant make the drls out. Wonder if the Audi ones will be different?

I agree with the look of the Leon lights - I think that they look a mess.

I'm currently driving a new Leon with full LED, really advise you test drive these as coming from xenon headlights it really fustrated me how dull they are. Obviously the a3 could be different.

The spread is fantastic but I would compare the brightness to a more white halogen look rather than xenon.

Looking to order a s3 for next march, really unsure which headlight option to go for at the moment, what drives best or looks best!

A little concern about the comment of them being dull. I was hoping for a more LeMans type output......

On appearance and style i think the Audi LEDs look so much better than the Seat. The Audi looks more like a conventional headlight without those 6 block segments that the Seat has. I know this doesn't answer the question of the beam/brightness comparisons with the Seat and indeed the Xenons. Surely there must be an S3 demo car somewhere now with the LEDs?

Seat led
The Seat
Audi led
The Audi

I have to say, if the A3's lights had the same look as the Seat's in the picture, I would definitely have gone for Xenons!

The A3 LED headlights have the turning function and the motorway light where they increase range at motorway speeds. As well as having all weather lighting so they are suitabl ein fog and poor visibility.

Not sure ht the seat has, but I know the seat also has sat nave on the same offer. If its value for money on up front costs then buy the seat. If you can find the value in the A3 over the Leon then buy the Leon.

Id be surprised if the Audi lights dot have a cuple of more features than the Seat, if they are value for money that another issue. As splathead mentioned, this is Audi technilgy as used on the lemand Audi cars, and also al the way up the the premium executive Audi cars. So its not unlikely to be poor quality.

Id like to see some real world examples comparing the halogen, xenon and LED. But I wanted the LED so bought them, hope they are worth the money when the car turns up

Reactions: Louay
This is all I could find. Anyone speak Swiss German?
Licht-Vergleich: LED, Xenon, Halogen - YouTube

just going from the difference in the video the benefit of Xenon over halogen is very noticeable, big step up, but LEDs don't appear to be much different to xenon. But still extremely good, where on different cars so not a completely fair test, but interesting.

just going from the difference in the video the benefit of Xenon over halogen is very noticeable, big step up, but LEDs don't appear to be much different to xenon. But still extremely good, where on different cars so not a completely fair test, but interesting.

LED seems to be slightly whiter, not that that necessarily means "better".

If LED's aren't such a improvement over HID's then probably it is just a marketing ploy. A bit like Apple selling us products we don't actually need...

Don't forget the cool indicator lights you get with LED's

Yes, I have seen the full LEDs in the flesh on the show car at Geneva Motor show (check out my flickr link in the main S3 thread for photos) and although not seen dipped or main beam in operation, on design, styling and looks alone I would pay the extra as they simply looked amazing. They are better for night time driving too with less eye strain so thats got to be another positive.

I prefer the indicators with the Xenons to be honest - the LED ones look cool and it's a nice idea, but they just aren't as visible to other people as the ones you get with the other lights. I like them being tucked in the corner of the DRLs, looks quite nice there!

I assume the headlight dims when you use the indicators? I know the DRL does but not seen them with the headlights themselves on

The "proof of the pudding is in the eating".
From the end of November (delivery) I should be finding out the merits and pitfalls of LED on my new A3 in our Brit. Winter weather and can't wait.

Reactions: paullowther
Interesting question, LED's vs Xenon.

Do LED's need the same anti glare setup as Xenons do?

On the face of it, I'd suggest that the LED's cost Audi a LOT less to fit then the Xenons do, so must be a big profit earner when a buyer ticks the LED box.

Interesting question, LED's vs Xenon.

Do LED's need the same anti glare setup as Xenons do?

On the face of it, I'd suggest that the LED's cost Audi a LOT less to fit then the Xenons do, so must be a big profit earner when a buyer ticks the LED box.

Almost certainly cheaper to fit per car but they have to recoup all their R&D costs which is always the case with new technologies. I have no complaints about that.

Reactions: RossR and Louay
My German is pretty good...I got almost all of what the presenter said. I couldn't understand a damn thing from the other guy. To summarize: nothing groundbreaking. Xenon is way better than halogen, but also way more expensive. LED is better than xenon, and is the headlight of the future, but is currently only available in top-of-the-line autos at a premium price. I think xenon wins the best overall category when you take the price difference into consideration. Maybe wait until the next round for LED's.

GS

Is LED better than Xenon? I've seen nothing to convince me of this yet, other than some neat tricks you can do with the beam pattern.

It's also not premium - look at the Seat Leon. I don't know how Audi justify their cost for them compared to the Seat.

Is LED better than Xenon? I've seen nothing to convince me of this yet, other than some neat tricks you can do with the beam pattern.

It's also not premium - look at the Seat Leon. I don't know how Audi justify their cost for them compared to the Seat.

I'm not convinced it's better than Xenon either but I'm a sucker for new tech. At least it does look better than the Leon version.

mmmm it's a tough decision. It will almost certainly be the first option that I drop if the finance figures come out too high

problem is, the first time you see them if you don't spec them, you'll wish you did...............haha :)

Nah, I think the Xenons look great, glad I specced them. When they are on with the DRLs, I smile every time I see the reflection in the back of the car in front in queues :)

Reactions: JohnM100, coolguy and Daveotto
Nah, I think the Xenons look great, glad I specced them. When they are on with the DRLs, I smile every time I see the reflection in the back of the car in front in queues :)

yep, just need to fit my ice white fog lamp bulbs to complete the image

How to LED work when driving abroad? Do you still need to put deflectors on?

yep, just need to fit my ice white fog lamp bulbs to complete the image

Oh no, you aren't one of these that drive around with fog lights on when it isn't foggy are you? My opinion of you might go down if so!

How to LED work when driving abroad? Do you still need to put deflectors on?

I don't know how it works with the LEDs because they don't move in the same way as the Xenons, but there is an option in the MMI for me. No idea if it would do it via GPS as well... I'll tell you if I ever take it to France!

By all accounts the LED's adapt based on the GPS and road speed. Not only to country but also based on your location in the UK.

"In conjunction with Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect, the navigation data works in combination with the LED headlights to control the light distribution with motorway light and country light modes using the stored route data from the MMI navigation plus with MMI touch"

Only downside, for me, is that the fog lights are removed when speccing LED's. Not that I ever have them turned on but I think the A3 looks better with the fog light even when they are turned off. Looks a bit like there is something missing without them.

Only downside, for me, is that the fog lights are removed when speccing LED's. Not that I ever have them turned on but I think the A3 looks better with the fog light even when they are turned off. Looks a bit like there is something missing without them.

However, with xenons the fog lamps look very yellow and detract from the overall look, I have just got new fog lamps to match the xenon's and just need to fit them in the next week or so.

Fog lamps are yellow to reduce light scatter, increase contrast and because your eyes are more sensitive to it. Ask yourself why skiers use yellow lenses in their goggles.
What you have on order is a pair of mini headlamps.

Reactions: JohnM100 and Gswearengin