Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Full LED Headlights Vs LED daytime running lights

Neutral

Status

Full LED Headlights Vs LED daytime running lights

Hi, I'm looking to purchase either an Audi A3 or (dare I say it!) a Seat Leon FR.

The Seat Leon FR comes with Full LED Headlights, whereas the Audi comes with LED daytime running lights. Is there any differences between the two?

Can Full LED Headlights be used as daytime running lights?

Even more confusing is that Audi uses Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights! So looks like there are 3 types of similar lights:

1. Full LED Headlights
    2. LED daytime running lights
    3. Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights

Which is the best out of the three, and are there any particular merits?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ahfh1 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase either an Audi A3 or (dare I say it!) a Seat Leon FR.

The Seat Leon FR comes with Full LED Headlights, whereas the Audi comes with LED daytime running lights. Is there any differences between the two?

Can Full LED Headlights be used as daytime running lights?

Even more confusing is that Audi uses Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights! So looks like there are 3 types of similar lights:
    1. Full LED Headlights
    2. LED daytime running lights
    3. Xenon Plus headlights combined with LED daytime running lights
    Which is the best out of the three, and are there any particular merits?

Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum ahfh1.

I think you are almost there, but not quite. The law now states all new cars must now have daytime running lights (DRL), so your option 2 is not valid. These are lights that come on as soon as the car is started and cannot be overridden.

The options available, in ascending price order are
    1. Standard halagon lights, which have halagon DRLs (no extra cost)
    2. Xenon plus lights, which have LED DRLs (standard on S-line, otherwise a cost option of £1250)
    3. Full LED lights, which have LED DRLs (a cost option of around £2000... This cost may reduce depending on other chosen options)

I have chosen the xenon light package (which comes with other goodies, see brochure), which I am very impressed with, so much brighter than halogens. I have not seen the full LED lights, but by all reports the light output is not much different to xenons.

Hope this helps
    Mark

Ps. The "build a car configurator" on the Audi web site Home will describe the options in more detail.
    Last edited by A3sportbackMark; 25th September 2013 at 06:51.
    1st sept 2013 collection, proudly owning:
    A3 Sportback SE 1.6 TDI, scuba blue, folding mirrors, hill assist, SD sat nav, Xenon light package.

1st Gear

Status
    The full LED headlights are much more energy efficient and apart from the striking looks the main benefit is that the light produced is almost like daylight and there is much less eyestrain at night than other lights. They include within the unit cornering lights and all weather lighting. The beam pattern can adjust to different speeds or road types dependant on other specification options.

It all depends on your budget as to whether they are worth it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Anyone actually have full LED yet? I don't know if we've yet reached the time where first orders have been delivered. Would love to see a real review and photos!
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    I've seen them on the Leon. They look awful at night. Too bright and the light all blends into one so you cant make the drls out. Wonder if the Audi ones will be different?
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

3rd Gear

Status
    Too bright??? Cool, I'll be able to wear my shades at night! What are drls?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    Daytime Running Lights

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm currently driving a new Leon with full LED, really advise you test drive these as coming from xenon headlights it really fustrated me how dull they are. Obviously the a3 could be different.

The spread is fantastic but I would compare the brightness to a more white halogen look rather than xenon.

Looking to order a s3 for next march, really unsure which headlight option to go for at the moment, what drives best or looks best!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Anyone actually have full LED yet? I don't know if we've yet reached the time where first orders have been delivered. Would love to see a real review and photos!
    I've done some digging around and Audi have released these full LED pictures:

Low beam full LED:

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...headlights.jpg

Low and high beam full LED:

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...headlights.jpg

4th Gear

Status
    Surely at £795 option on the S3 the LED Headlights must stand for some advancement in technology and visual presence rather than just being more efficient?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by viperfire View Post
    I've seen them on the Leon. They look awful at night. Too bright and the light all blends into one so you cant make the drls out. Wonder if the Audi ones will be different?
    I agree with the look of the Leon lights - I think that they look a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartezz View Post
    I'm currently driving a new Leon with full LED, really advise you test drive these as coming from xenon headlights it really fustrated me how dull they are. Obviously the a3 could be different.

The spread is fantastic but I would compare the brightness to a more white halogen look rather than xenon.

Looking to order a s3 for next march, really unsure which headlight option to go for at the moment, what drives best or looks best!
    A little concern about the comment of them being dull. I was hoping for a more LeMans type output......
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

1st Gear

Status
    On appearance and style i think the Audi LEDs look so much better than the Seat. The Audi looks more like a conventional headlight without those 6 block segments that the Seat has. I know this doesn't answer the question of the beam/brightness comparisons with the Seat and indeed the Xenons. Surely there must be an S3 demo car somewhere now with the LEDs?

seat led.jpg
    The Seat
    audi led.jpg
    The Audi

3rd Gear

Status
    I have to say, if the A3's lights had the same look as the Seat's in the picture, I would definitely have gone for Xenons!

1st Gear

Status
    The A3 LED headlights have the turning function and the motorway light where they increase range at motorway speeds. As well as having all weather lighting so they are suitabl ein fog and poor visibility.

Not sure ht the seat has, but I know the seat also has sat nave on the same offer. If its value for money on up front costs then buy the seat. If you can find the value in the A3 over the Leon then buy the Leon.

Id be surprised if the Audi lights dot have a cuple of more features than the Seat, if they are value for money that another issue. As splathead mentioned, this is Audi technilgy as used on the lemand Audi cars, and also al the way up the the premium executive Audi cars. So its not unlikely to be poor quality.

Id like to see some real world examples comparing the halogen, xenon and LED. But I wanted the LED so bought them, hope they are worth the money when the car turns up
    Louay likes this.
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    Id like to see some real world examples comparing the halogen, xenon and LED. But I wanted the LED so bought them, hope they are worth the money when the car turns up
    This is all I could find. Anyone speak Swiss German?
    Licht-Vergleich: LED, Xenon, Halogen - YouTube
    Cumbrian_bob likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    This is all I could find. Anyone speak Swiss German?
    Licht-Vergleich: LED, Xenon, Halogen - YouTube
    just going from the difference in the video the benefit of Xenon over halogen is very noticeable, big step up, but LEDs don't appear to be much different to xenon. But still extremely good, where on different cars so not a completely fair test, but interesting.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragup View Post
    just going from the difference in the video the benefit of Xenon over halogen is very noticeable, big step up, but LEDs don't appear to be much different to xenon. But still extremely good, where on different cars so not a completely fair test, but interesting.
    LED seems to be slightly whiter, not that that necessarily means "better".

6th Gear

Status
    If LED's aren't such a improvement over HID's then probably it is just a marketing ploy. A bit like Apple selling us products we don't actually need...

4th Gear

Status
    Don't forget the cool indicator lights you get with LED's
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Yes, I have seen the full LEDs in the flesh on the show car at Geneva Motor show (check out my flickr link in the main S3 thread for photos) and although not seen dipped or main beam in operation, on design, styling and looks alone I would pay the extra as they simply looked amazing. They are better for night time driving too with less eye strain so thats got to be another positive.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Ah, they are cool too but I am sure there's no reason why the HID's can't have them also...

6th Gear

Status
    I prefer the indicators with the Xenons to be honest - the LED ones look cool and it's a nice idea, but they just aren't as visible to other people as the ones you get with the other lights. I like them being tucked in the corner of the DRLs, looks quite nice there!

I assume the headlight dims when you use the indicators? I know the DRL does but not seen them with the headlights themselves on
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    The "proof of the pudding is in the eating".
    From the end of November (delivery) I should be finding out the merits and pitfalls of LED on my new A3 in our Brit. Winter weather and can't wait.
    paullowther likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Interested in this as I have gone for the led option too.....

Reverse Gear

Status
    Interesting question, LED's vs Xenon.

Do LED's need the same anti glare setup as Xenons do?

On the face of it, I'd suggest that the LED's cost Audi a LOT less to fit then the Xenons do, so must be a big profit earner when a buyer ticks the LED box.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroad2013 View Post
    Interesting question, LED's vs Xenon.

Do LED's need the same anti glare setup as Xenons do?

On the face of it, I'd suggest that the LED's cost Audi a LOT less to fit then the Xenons do, so must be a big profit earner when a buyer ticks the LED box.
    Almost certainly cheaper to fit per car but they have to recoup all their R&D costs which is always the case with new technologies. I have no complaints about that.
    Louay and RossR like this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    My German is pretty good...I got almost all of what the presenter said. I couldn't understand a damn thing from the other guy. To summarize: nothing groundbreaking. Xenon is way better than halogen, but also way more expensive. LED is better than xenon, and is the headlight of the future, but is currently only available in top-of-the-line autos at a premium price. I think xenon wins the best overall category when you take the price difference into consideration. Maybe wait until the next round for LED's.

GS

6th Gear

Status
    Is LED better than Xenon? I've seen nothing to convince me of this yet, other than some neat tricks you can do with the beam pattern.

It's also not premium - look at the Seat Leon. I don't know how Audi justify their cost for them compared to the Seat.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Is LED better than Xenon? I've seen nothing to convince me of this yet, other than some neat tricks you can do with the beam pattern.

It's also not premium - look at the Seat Leon. I don't know how Audi justify their cost for them compared to the Seat.
    I'm not convinced it's better than Xenon either but I'm a sucker for new tech. At least it does look better than the Leon version.

5th Gear

Status
    mmmm it's a tough decision. It will almost certainly be the first option that I drop if the finance figures come out too high

3rd Gear

Status
    problem is, the first time you see them if you don't spec them, you'll wish you did...............haha

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    problem is, the first time you see them if you don't spec them, you'll wish you did...............haha
    Nah, I think the Xenons look great, glad I specced them. When they are on with the DRLs, I smile every time I see the reflection in the back of the car in front in queues
    JohnnyM100, Daveotto and coolguy like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Nah, I think the Xenons look great, glad I specced them. When they are on with the DRLs, I smile every time I see the reflection in the back of the car in front in queues
    yep, just need to fit my ice white fog lamp bulbs to complete the image
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

1st Gear

Status
    How to LED work when driving abroad? Do you still need to put deflectors on?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedsoff View Post
    No need... You can adjust it manually via MMI or it can detect from GPS!
    bleedsoff likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    yep, just need to fit my ice white fog lamp bulbs to complete the image
    Oh no, you aren't one of these that drive around with fog lights on when it isn't foggy are you? My opinion of you might go down if so!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedsoff View Post
    I don't know how it works with the LEDs because they don't move in the same way as the Xenons, but there is an option in the MMI for me. No idea if it would do it via GPS as well... I'll tell you if I ever take it to France!

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    By all accounts the LED's adapt based on the GPS and road speed. Not only to country but also based on your location in the UK.

"In conjunction with Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect, the navigation data works in combination with the LED headlights to control the light distribution with motorway light and country light modes using the stored route data from the MMI navigation plus with MMI touch"

Only downside, for me, is that the fog lights are removed when speccing LED's. Not that I ever have them turned on but I think the A3 looks better with the fog light even when they are turned off. Looks a bit like there is something missing without them.
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS View Post
    Only downside, for me, is that the fog lights are removed when speccing LED's. Not that I ever have them turned on but I think the A3 looks better with the fog light even when they are turned off. Looks a bit like there is something missing without them.
    However, with xenons the fog lamps look very yellow and detract from the overall look, I have just got new fog lamps to match the xenon's and just need to fit them in the next week or so.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2nd Gear

Status
    Fog lamps are yellow to reduce light scatter, increase contrast and because your eyes are more sensitive to it. Ask yourself why skiers use yellow lenses in their goggles.
    What you have on order is a pair of mini headlamps.
    JohnnyM100 and Gswearengin like this.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast