Volks AutosSky Insurance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Full LED Headlights Vs LED daytime running lights

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    Fog lamps are yellow to reduce light scatter, increase contrast and because your eyes are more sensitive to it. Ask yourself why skiers use yellow lenses in their goggles.
    What you have on order is a pair of mini headlamps.
    I understand the principle of less light scatter with yellow light but when you mix the yellow light from fogs with the far stronger whiter Xenon light the white light dominates, even in the foreground where the fog lamps are supposed to be working. The one time I have experienced fog when driving with xenons I noticed no difference/benefit when I put my fog lights on and visibility was around 100M through a thick fog patch.

The xenon's even in fog are far better for seeing and being seen, than standard halogens and not having Halogen fog lamps cannot be an issue if you don't get them when ordering LED's

To be honest I doubt I will ever turn on my front fogs now as current experience says xenons are good in there own right in fog for seeing and being seen, and I am changing the lamps purely for the aestheitcs when you lock and unlock the car, unless someone convinces me there is a genuine safety reason not to do so
    Last edited by Daveotto; 14th October 2013 at 10:31.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Do you get fogs with the xenon light as standard and no fog with LEDs....?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lecht_rocks View Post
    Do you get fogs with the xenon light as standard and no fog with LEDs....?
    yep, can't see any fog lights in any S3 pictures and this is the quote from the brochure "also includes additional air intake funnels in place of the front fog lights" and all other A3's I have seen with xenons have halogen fog lights, including mine.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    yep, can't see any fog lights in any S3 pictures and this is the quote from the brochure "also includes additional air intake funnels in place of the front fog lights"
    thought as as much, I've gone led but not sure if there's any performance advantage. I like the blue white of xenon personally....

4th Gear

Status
    http://youtu.be/QEDsrOLPwmo

LED HEADLIGHT VIDEO ON S3/A3
    i want it now and Lmg like this.
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

3rd Gear

Status

4th Gear

Status
    They do both look very white, unlike the xenon blue and the halogen yellow
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

4th Gear

Status
    Just found a review from a German bloke on another forum who talks about his impressions after 1500km with the car.

Loosely translated - his impression of the LED headlights.

The LED lights have really impressed me. Optical 1a anyway, I find it also very functional. Curve light, illumination of the road, etc. I really like. Not a quantum leap to the xenon in S3 8P, but I regret not having taken them.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Just found a review from a German bloke on another forum who talks about his impressions after 1500km with the car.

Loosely translated - his impression of the LED headlights.

The LED lights have really impressed me. Optical 1a anyway, I find it also very functional. Curve light, illumination of the road, etc. I really like. Not a quantum leap to the xenon in S3 8P, but I regret not having taken them.
    They don't actually swivel on bends like adaptive Xenons though do they?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    I believe they do. They also extend their range when travelling over 68mph.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    I believe they do. They also extend their range when travelling over 68mph.
    Yes I'm aware of the extended range and the junction lights etc, just wasn't aware of any moving parts or anything that that adapts on bends. If they do then that's just a bonus!
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes I'm aware of the extended range and the junction lights etc, just wasn't aware of any moving parts or anything that that adapts on bends. If they do then that's just a bonus!
    It may just be done electronically, by switching on and off different LEDs?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    Fog lamps are yellow to reduce light scatter, increase contrast and because your eyes are more sensitive to it. Ask yourself why skiers use yellow lenses in their goggles.
    What you have on order is a pair of mini headlamps.
    I wouldn't say fog lamps are yellow, just that they are the colour of standard, inexpensive halogen bulbs. Years ago you used to see real 'yellow' headlights, supposed to reduce glare I think, but they didn't stay around for long. Not sure they're even legal now.

You can sit for hours looking this up on the web, with varying opinions, but most seem to concur that 'yellow' is not necessarily better. You get less glare and reflection, but you're putting less light out in the first place.

I saw one post that said they were 'yellow' by design.

If that's the case, why do they not use 'yellow' fog lights with LED headlights. Fog lamps are gone and replaced with 'all-weather' lights. It states these are in a separate housing - are they still LED though?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

3rd Gear

Status
    I never quite understood what the all weather lights actually are. If they really are "all weather" then why are they not the default main lights and the rest could be thrown away?

4th Gear

Status
    Lmg likes this.

Full LED baby !

Status
    no they don't but there are LED that switch on when you turn
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Lmg likes this.

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    Firstly, I understood the reason for fog lights is to turn your dipped headlights off and just have sidelights & fogs. As the lower position of the fogs is meant to illuminate the road & verge beneath the layer of fog so as not to reflect back off the fog droplets, dazzling the driver.

The LED headlights are on a matrix system, which to me means it will illuminate individual chips (LED's) to achieve the desired cast of light. Tied in a front mounted sensor it will reduce the dazzle to oncoming traffic, which everyone moans at with Xenon drivers.

I had the bendy xenons in a V50 prior to my A3. I miss the bendy feature and the light output as I am quite disappointed with the A3 xenons - especially high beam as this is more of a narrow hotspot than a broad spread.

I hope I have enough pennies in the pot to spec LED's on my next Audi which I aim to get in a years time.
    Regards
    HeliFella

I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

6th Gear

Status
    You can spec adaptive xenons on the A3 no problem... I really like them tbh, and they seem to do a pretty good job of not dazzling people from the looks of the beam height
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    If xenon plus are standard on S-Lines then why are they a £1500 option for S-Line models?
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
    If xenon plus are standard on S-Lines then why are they a £1500 option for S-Line models?
    They are standard and not a £1500 extra (in fact, I don't know what you are looking at that is a £1500 extra) The s-line option is £295 for adaptive headlights. You can't add the adaptive headlights to LED lights hence the option in the brochure (PXA) is: Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights.

1st Gear

Status
    LED headlights are £1500 extra, or were on the Audi site about a week ago.
    Like front fogs, seems no S3 has them ( irrespective of headlamp style) as the space is used as an additional air intake.
    ChrisG

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    LED headlights are £1500 extra, or were on the Audi site about a week ago.
    Brochure price for LEDs is £795 - can only add to the s-line and s3. LED light package can be added to the SE/sport for £2k but comes with Light and rain sensor package (PU8) and Interior lighting package (QQ4)

1st Gear

Status
    yep, just seen that!
    I wouldn't have been looking at anything other than S or possibly S Line : )
    ChrisG

Reverse Gear

Status
    Does anyone know if the rear lights are different if you spec LED headlights?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Does anyone know if the rear lights are different if you spec LED headlights?
    no, stay the same sad faced strip LED.

6th Gear

Status
    They do change, not from Xenon but from Halogen they do. I think Xenon and LED headlights share the same rear lights.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson:2022476
    They do change, not from Xenon but from Halogen they do. I think Xenon and LED headlights share the same rear lights.
    Any pics to clarify?

6th Gear

Status
    Well, halogen doesn't come with LED rear lights for a start, as they are included in the Xenon light pack. No pics though, no.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    Any pics to clarify?
    Pics in this thread
    Louay likes this.
    and Sport Suspension

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you for the info. I just wanted to check as on my current 1 series BMW fitted rear lights with light bars when Xenons were specked over halogen lights. I just wanted to check that Audi did nothing similar to the rear lights when going from Xenon to LED. Especially as I spotted a R8 with rather fancy rear indicators a few weeks ago. They were like the nightrider light, flicking from inside to out like a arrow.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, those are just on the R8. Someone on here ages ago was talking about trying to mod his A3 lights to do the same though.

1st Gear

Status
    must be somebody with electronic design experience who could fix that ! I'd certainly go for such a mod !!
    ChrisG

4th Gear

Status
    It's known as a 'sweeping' indicator and yes, I want them!

1st Gear

Status
    Ditto, sweeping indicators would be the nuts!

4th Gear

Status
    DAYYMMMMM

Fragup likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12