Audi Connect and iPhone's

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, I've got the above coming on my new S3 but been told you can't use it with iPhone's as it has the wrong bluetooth profile. Is that correct? What are people doing to get round this (apart from buying a new phone)? Is Audi planning a fix for this?

I've heard that even if you put a sim in the car (for data etc), and connect your iPhone via BT, the car will use the car sim to make calls and not the phone? Thats crazy!

Audi should come up with a software fix that allows you to run a sim in the car just for data, and then use the iPhone BT/sim for calls.

Cant be just me facing this issue? Hopefully it will be fixed before I take delivery in Feb/March 14!

It used to be the case, but you can use a separate sim card now (as I am doing, though I don't use an iPhone), and still connect to another phone via bluetooth.

It used to be the case, but you can use a separate sim card now (as I am doing, though I don't use an iPhone), and still connect to another phone via bluetooth.

Really? Thats great! So I could get a data sim card and leave it and the which will run Audi connect and then have my iPhone bluetooth'ed as usual to make calls etc? With no loss of functionality on any side?

PS - how is connect? Is it any good?

The fix from audi was to possibly supply a separate cable to use the systems as designed, which for me defeats the whole damn point of the convenience features it was supposed to appeal too & is a shxt solution, however, whether with the 8V an update has appeared to address this is another question, but afaik there hasn't been an overall magic solution for mmi cars, which is very poor of vag tbh.

Yup, that's what I do! I was using my phone for both to start with, but there are some disadvantages to that which I didn't like so got myself a T-Mobile SIM only unlimited data contract and used that in the SIM slot for connect services, everything else goes through my phone (including text messages which is neat)

Connect is really good - though I guess it depends on what you are intending to use it for! I've mainly used it for traffic info, using google maps 'send to car' (though calling these up is a bit convoluted, doesn't put them straight in your cars directory), looking up parking at your destination (spaces free and costs), dictation of text messages and the wifi hotspot (might as well connect my phone to it seeing as it has unlimited data!)

Great, looks like Audi have already brought out a fix then.

Text messages through bluetooth, not connect? That sounds cool!

The fix from audi was to possibly supply a separate cable to use the systems as designed, which for me defeats the whole damn point of the convenience features it was supposed to appeal too & is a shxt solution, however, whether with the 8V an update has appeared to address this is another question, but afaik there hasn't been an overall magic solution for mmi cars, which is very poor of vag tbh.

Cheers Nath. Is the 8V connect and MMI connect different then?

Yeh, text messages are part of the standard bluetooth (assuming your phone supports the profile - not sure iphone does), but you can reply to texts by writing them out on the touchpad (not while you are moving) or a preset template, or have the car read them to you. Dictation of text messages is a connect feature and uses the data connection to do the speech to text, then sends them through your phone (again, though, only if your phone supports the required bluetooth profile)

Yup, that's what I do! I was using my phone for both to start with, but there are some disadvantages to that which I didn't like so got myself a T-Mobile SIM only unlimited data contract and used that in the SIM slot for connect services, everything else goes through my phone (including text messages which is neat)

Connect is really good - though I guess it depends on what you are intending to use it for! I've mainly used it for traffic info, using google maps 'send to car' (though calling these up is a bit convoluted, doesn't put them straight in your cars directory), looking up parking at your destination (spaces free and costs), dictation of text messages and the wifi hotspot (might as well connect my phone to it seeing as it has unlimited data!)

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the advice :) Glad I spec'ed it now.

Oh, nearby fuel stations and prices (or ones near your satnav destination) is useful too

Yeh, text messages are part of the standard bluetooth (assuming your phone supports the profile - not sure iphone does), but you can reply to texts by writing them out on the touchpad (not while you are moving) or a preset template, or have the car read them to you. Dictation of text messages is a connect feature and uses the data connection to do the speech to text, then sends them through your phone (again, though, only if your phone supports the required bluetooth profile)

Cool, still sounds like the iphone is a limiting factor then! I like my iPhone! :(

Yep, that's something I'm missing out on... though I've been wondering if it'll be possible over some kind of bluetooth broadband dongle (the car supports multiple bluetooth devices at once)

my iphone5 wouldn't connect at all to the audi or my prev nissan's but i downloaded Ios7 and I have for the first time been able to connect via bluetooth, amazed.

Your iPhone will work fine, but it wont with Connect if you had it.

I know this is a bit of a thread dig to last October, but wondering if there are any more recent comments and experiences for iPhone connection to the A3/S3 8V Audi connect and the Technik pack?

I have an iPhone 5 and have Giff Gaff sim in the car for connect and it works fine. I also sometimes get 4g popping up on the screen to, think Giff Gaff mud offer it for free. Think the connect is worth while for traffic and google maps, but also don't we get like some free map updates?

Thanks bleedsoff. That gives hope.

I am in Sydney, Australia so can anyone in Australia or NZ add any info on this?

Don't worry guys, today I saw an Audi memo to Australian dealers that's states clearly that Audi connect is not available on Australian delivered A3 models. Disappointing because the memo says that it is available on some other models.

Can anyone confirm that Connect still uses the standard size SIM card? I am collecting my car next week and want to get my 3 data sim sorted so I can use connect with my iPhone 5s from the outset :)

Bleedsoff, are you able to give any idea of the amount of data use you are experiencing on the SIM?

Does anyone have any idea about the quantity of data which the system uses. I'm thinking that PAYG might be better for me than a monthly data contract but of course it depends on the amount used.

Reactions: phil1824