S-line suspension

Cal67

Reaction score
Hi all

I've placed an order for an A3 SB s-line with the s-line suspension.

On reading all the reviews most journos are recommending avoiding the s-line suspension.

Those of you who have the s-line suspension is it really as bad as made out? What car would you compare the suspension with?

i have driven loads of cars with firm suspension and don't mind them but the misses hates the ride on my current car so wondering whether I have made the right decision with s-line suspension.

Thanks in advance.

Cal

Hi Cal67. Plenty of these discussions on this forum already. You will find that those who ordered S-Line suspension love it and those who avoided it don't like it! I would compare it with my current Golf GTi, maybe a bit firmer. I was looking for something softer this time around so I went for SE suspension.<br>Did you at least test drive the Sports suspension?

Hi Cal67. Plenty of these discussions on this forum already. You will find that those who ordered S-Line suspension love it and those who avoided it don't like it! I would compare it with my current Golf GTi, maybe a bit firmer. I was looking for something softer this time around so I went for SE suspension.<br>Did you at least test drive the Sports suspension?

Thanks for the response.

Most comments/discussions I came across were comparing to previously owned Audis, none of which I have first hand experience of. Yes I did drive the sports suspension and in comparison to the Civic Type R I have at the moment the sports was more comfortable. I'm hoping the sline will be somewhere in between the the sport and type r. If as you say it's on a par with the GTi then I don't anticipate any issues.

Cal

The s-line suspension was described by one newspaper motoring correspondent as 'like a church pew on granite'

S-Line suspension all the way. It is not as hard as people are making out, what area are you in if you were near me I would let you test it, see if some one in your area would do the same for you, hope you find the right set up for you.

2nd that! S Line suspension all the way! It's firm don't get me wrong but speed humps don't feel bad at all, I do avoid pot holes but that's due to avoiding unnecessary wear and tear or poss damage to anything. I'd also do this without lower suspension. I find road noise a bit of an issue but this is the car in general I guess as its always been a complaint through the A3 models and ranges.
Thumbs up from me though

It's always going to be down to personal preference, to the point that reading what others think about it is next to useless! The only way to decide between them is going to be to test them out yourself and see which you prefer

The only way is to test drive one before ordering really, save being disappointed..

Picked ours up last night with sport suspension and it's fine. Slightly bumpy but fine

S-Line suspension all the way. It is not as hard as people are making out, what area are you in if you were near me I would let you test it, see if some one in your area would do the same for you, hope you find the right set up for you.

thanks dieseldoug. Re-assuring to know suspensions not so hard. Missus will be pleased.

The only way is to test drive one before ordering really, save being disappointed..

Not as simple as you say. None of the dealers within reasonable travel have a demonstrator with s line suspension.

Pity, I will not buy a car unless I can test the exact same or something very similar. Certainly the type of suspension and the wheels size can affect your choice and there is no way I'd cough up that kind of money to find I didn't like the ride. I'd also would like to drive my choice of car on roads I frequent so I can get a true representation. Volvo would let me have a car for a weekend.

Last edited:
Not as simple as you say. None of the dealers within reasonable travel have a demonstrator with s line suspension.
I had the same problem, between Sport and S line suspension. Hardest choice i had of all spec to get right.
No local dealer had a car to test in S line set up, so I took there S line with Sport suspension out again for a much longer run, but on the roughest roads and bendy back lanes and found the sport suspension so close to perfect for me, so I went with sport without testing the S line suspension, I like a firm set up, but any firmer than the sports setup around my way with rough roads and would have been a compromise on comfort too much, as much for passengers than me and had already changed to sportback from 3 door to have the possibility of giving elderly family members a lift when needed.
Already found the suspension brilliantly grippy and good at cornering and the handling was excellent so couldn't see much of a gain on that front, although some will say it adds to the fun side a bit having S line set up.
It will always be down to your personal choice, but if you can't test S line set up then take the Sport suspension out and push it on rough roads and corners and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how sporty it can be (it's called sport suspension not medium set up for a reason) I have come from sports suspension on last 2 Hondas and found the sports setup on the A3 slightly firmer than CRZ and Civic S type GT, but more comfortable partly down to the great seats. My local dealer says the vast majority of s lines they had sold had been sports set up, so can't see any down side when you come to trade in / sell as will be a normal either way. SE spoils the appearance too much for me on an S line with the add side skirts / bumpers, just looks wrong on the ones I have seen and I don't like the ride on softer setup.
all personal I know.
good luck, hope this helps.

Quick update

Been out in an A3 with s line suspension today. Found the ride firmer than most cars I've driven lately. On a smooth surface it's not bad and almost un-noticeable; speed bumps however will need to be treated with care. On slightly bumpy roads the ride is firm but not jiggly and the car copes well enough. All in all, the suspension is something we can live with and we've decided to stick with the s line suspension. Roll on January.

Reactions: dieseldoug
I was out in a saloon with the sport suspension and it felt harder and transmitted more of the bumps into the cabin than my car with 18" wheels. I do not know what the S-Line would be like but the salesperson mentioned residuals when I said about having the S-Line suspension removed..

Cal67,
Glad you got the chance to try the S-Lins suspension, it's a good all round suspension.

Cal67,
Glad you got the chance to try the S-Lins suspension, it's a good all round suspension.

Thanks dieseldoug. From the time spent in the car, I agree with your assessment.

Reactions: dieseldoug
I was out in a saloon with the sport suspension and it felt harder and transmitted more of the bumps into the cabin than my car with 18" wheels. I do not know what the S-Line would be like but the salesperson mentioned residuals when I said about having the S-Line suspension removed..

i think the saloon is slightly bigger than the hatchback and with 18" wheels it will feel differently to the hatchback as well. I couldn't fault the sports suspension on the hatchback and wanted the s line suspension more for aesthetic looks and handling but not at the expense of it being bone jarringly hard which I now know it isn't. Have you driven the hatchback with sports suspension to get a comparison?

I can't see S line suspension being any worse than the 8p ...
Plus it looks great ;)

Reactions: f1nny
I can't see S line suspension being any worse than the 8p ...
Plus it looks great ;)

Definitely agree with you on that one, the 8P was a shocking hard ride, even my A1's was a hard ride but it didn't help having 225/35/18 tyres.

Compared to them two I find the new A3 S-Line Suspension more forgiving, still quite a firm ride though.

Finny

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Suppose it's really what u need the car for .....
Sport for normal folk ....
S - line for the enthusiasts that like throwing it around the back roads at the weekends lol ;)

Reactions: Richyboyp