EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Audi Ashtray Cup alternatives ?

A3 8V Chassis

Status

Question Audi Ashtray Cup alternatives ?

Just wondering if anyone has a use for the Ashtray / Cup that comes with the car.
    Apart from putting spare change in it.

Anyone modified the cup in any way so it's more useful ?

Or has anyone replaced the cup with some thing else?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I took it out and put it in the garage, its probably an expensive acc but it takes up space for my inverter. my pet hate is people with lose change lying about in cars.

3rd Gear

Status
    I like seeing my illuminated cup holders but also want somewhere for my change, and as I have a 3 door it lives in the cup holder just behind the drivers seat
    faisal_16 and Cumbrian_bob like this.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

Neutral

Status
    I use mine to keep my wife's sweets in, could do with another Audi cup for my own sugar free sweets - any offers anyone?

Manor13, you might want to sell yours?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I like seeing my illuminated cup holders but also want somewhere for my change, and as I have a 3 door it lives in the cup holder just behind the drivers seat
    Where is the cup holder behind the drivers seat?

6th Gear

Status
    On the outside of the rear seats, 3 door only though
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    So if I opt for the no smoking package do I get an extra 12v socket? Can anyone post pics of smoking pack vs the non smoking pack?

3rd Gear

Status
    If you opt for the non smoking pack the just don't give you the cup or the cig lighter, and replace the lighter with a blank that has 12V printed on it

The cups sell for about £40-50 I believe
    http://bit.ly/RKuiCd
    The blanks for about £10
    http://bit.ly/1f8y3QE

I think some people opt for non smoking pack just as a statement, but regret it after as they actually gain nothing but lose a handy coin holder
    TDI-line likes this.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

6th Gear

Status
    The cups sell for £15, not £50! Having bought mine off ebay, I'm finding that I'm actually not using it at all. Perhaps I should find a use for it... but it isn't all that useful.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    The cups sell for £15, not £50! Having bought mine off ebay, I'm finding that I'm actually not using it at all. Perhaps I should find a use for it... but it isn't all that useful.
    I think I saw £48 direct from Audi?

Either way I'm sure if you request non smoking it's prob removed at the dealer then they will prob stick the cup on eBay, people may as well do this themselves

1st Gear

Status
    As Cemerson said above, they were £15 off eBay. We all had a buying purge on them a while back - see thread few pages back!

I read on here (somewhere) that the 12v sockets in the non-smoking pack were also rated differently to be proper 12v sockets, not just dual purpose ciggy lighters.

Cheers, Paul
    Very proud owner of Audi A3 Sportback S Line 2.0TDI in Daytona Grey.

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

Ordered April 14th, Delivered June 24th.

1st Gear

Status
    If you opt for the non smoking pack the just don't give you the cup or the cig lighter, and replace the lighter with a blank that has 12V printed on it

The cups sell for about £40-50 I believe
    http://bit.ly/RKuiCd
    The blanks for about £10

I think some people opt for non smoking pack just as a statement, but regret it after as they actually gain nothing but lose a handy coin holder
    Ok thanks for the reply- guess it makes since to go for the cup holder. So the cup holder options the smoking pot as this is designed as an ashtray??
    In that case then why don't they provide a 12v cig lighter?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfin View Post
    I read on here (somewhere) that the 12v sockets in the non-smoking pack were also rated differently to be proper 12v sockets, not just dual purpose ciggy lighters.

Cheers, Paul
    I'm sure the don't wire up the car differently if you chose the "non smoking pack" as this would not be cost effective. I'm sure they just replace the removable lighter with a plug.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm sure the don't wire up the car differently if you chose the "non smoking pack" as this would not be cost effective. I'm sure they just replace the removable lighter with a plug.
    A wiring change isn't going to alter the rating, I understood it was nothing more complicated than a different fuze!

Cheers, Paul

Comfort Pack, Light & Rain Sensor Pack, Audi Sound System, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Sat Nav (SD Card Based)

6th Gear

Status
    Yes I remember seeing something somewhere that implied the ratings were different - who knows?

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    Yes I remember seeing something somewhere that implied the ratings were different - who knows?
    I think it's the same fuse rating either way - I had a look at the fuse ratings in the handbook to investigate this a week or so back.

The reason I looked is that the handbook does say that the lighter socket should only be used temporarily as a power source, but it doesn't say that about the 12V socket. This made me wonder if the bottom contact is a different shape or something (one to contact with the lighter, and the other to be a better contact on a 12V plug)... Didn't really make sense given they haven't reduced the rating of the fuse though.

I've only got the one socket in my car (lighter socket as I fancied having the cup thing!). Does anyone have Storage pack and a lighter? If so, are the contacts in the lighter socket the same as the contacts in the 12V socket in the back of the car?

1st Gear

Status
    There must be something different about them. In the handbook (page 66) we are warned that: 'The cigarette lighter should only be used as a power source in exceptional circumstances, e.g. for the compressor of the tyre repair kit'.

The only warning we get on the next page (page 67) for the 12v socket is: 'The appliances connected to the socket must not exceed a power rating of 120W'. No mention of any 'exceptional circumstances'!

Cheers, Paul.
    cemerson likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh, perhaps this is what I saw which made me spec the non smoking pack just in case.

3rd Gear

Status
    I have the 12v socket in the back of the car so I will compare them

Surly the lighter must draw more current that most things you would plug in anyway?

AJB
    1st Gear

Status
    I have the 12v socket in the back of the car so I will compare them

Surly the lighter must draw more current that most things you would plug in anyway?
    Thank you! And, regardless of how much current the lighter draws, I think I read that it's a 20 Amp fuse for the lighter socket so you'd have thought the socket itself must be rated for that.

3rd Gear

Status
    There is actually a slight difference.

The front has the clips either side to make contact with the lighter and a ceramic plate to take the heat
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379945173.953273.jpg

The rear one is a bit more basic
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379945200.936316.jpg

But it just occurred to me as I have an S-Line should I not have one in the boot too? If so where would I find it? Lol

4th Gear

Status
    But it just occurred to me as I have an S-Line should I not have one in the boot too? If so where would I find it? Lol
    Took me a while to find it as I had already put my rapid detailer and glass cleaner and cloths in the recess on the left hand side of the boot with the littl mesh sliding side wall (part of storage pack). The socket is actually in the base of this recess so once you put something in there you cant see it, not the most accesible place to locate it to be honest
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Took me a while to find it as I had already put my rapid detailer and glass cleaner and cloths in the recess on the left hand side of the boot with the littl mesh sliding side wall (part of storage pack). The socket is actually in the base of this recess so once you put something in there you cant see it, not the most accesible place to locate it to be honest
    Lol in the bottom?? My FOC bottle of oil is in there and never taken it out! Will check it later.

Thanks Dave

6th Gear

Status
    My net is in that pocket and there isn't room for a whole lot else when it's in there!

4th Gear

Status
    My net is in that pocket and there isn't room for a whole lot else when it's in there!
    I have the boot on the higher level and leave the large net permanatly connected to the anchor points and it sits flat on the boot floor when on the higher level.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

6th Gear

Status
    I have mine on the lower level as I prefer the bigger space... maybe I can shove the net under the boot floor with the tyre and first aid kit, jack etc, can't see myself using it much

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Ah yes it is there weird place though lol

2nd Gear

Status
    I run a 150w inverter in my cig lighter not had any problems and thats with charging a tablet and sat nav, I have sat nav built in but its a sd card and not as good as my old garmin.

1st Gear

Status
    DAMN IT lol... i've only just ordered and you have me thinking about this now! Although i did notice those cup holders hidden away :D cheers for the idea!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have mine on the lower level as I prefer the bigger space... maybe I can shove the net under the boot floor with the tyre and first aid kit, jack etc, can't see myself using it much
    Would I be right in assuming that if you have it on the lower level, you can't carry the spare wheel?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack24 View Post
    Would I be right in assuming that if you have it on the lower level, you can't carry the spare wheel?
    Space saver and B&O sub fit in with boot at lower level

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ivicyrusivi View Post
    DAMN IT lol... i've only just ordered and you have me thinking about this now! Although i did notice those cup holders hidden away :D cheers for the idea!
    Yes handy cup holders those and the Audi cup/ash tray is a perfect fit

Reverse Gear

Status
    Space saver and B&O sub fit in with boot at lower level
    Are you sure? I've just had a look and mine looks like you would have to remove the spare wheel to lower it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Are you sure? I've just had a look and mine looks like you would have to remove the spare wheel to lower it.
    Yup deffo fits in the lower position is your spare a space saver?

6th Gear

Status
    Definitely does fit! Although if you have to use the spare (as I did), the boot floor has to sit in the higher position to take your standard size wheel of course!

2nd Gear

Status
    Definitely does fit! Although if you have to use the spare (as I did), the boot floor has to sit in the higher position to take your standard size wheel of course!
    As above.

Boot floor can be in lower position with space saver but only in upper position with full sized alloy.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

3rd Gear

Status
    Having ordered the non-smoking pack i have requested that the Audi Ashtray is sent with my order...seeing as i have paid for it! Dealer said 'no problem' and i have that in writing.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Louay View Post
    Having ordered the non-smoking pack i have requested that the Audi Ashtray is sent with my order...seeing as i have paid for it! Dealer said 'no problem' and i have that in writing.
    Great, good idea.

I would be interested to know if there is any difference at all by doing this though?

I wonder if some people with the non smoking pack could take a pic of the 12v front socket to see if it differs from the one I posted?

I would like to know once and for all if there is any difference or if you opt for it is it just taken out by the dealer and then sold off on eBay lol
    Does it show on your options list in your service book?

4th Gear

Status
    Great, good idea.

I would be interested to know if there is any difference at all by doing this though?

I wonder if some people with the non smoking pack could take a pic of the 12v front socket to see if it differs from the one I posted?

I would like to know once and for all if there is any difference or if you opt for it is it just taken out by the dealer and then sold off on eBay lol
    Does it show on your options list in your service book?
    Non-smoking pack has a chrome front to the switch whilst opting to keep the smoking pack leaves you with a black plastic cover to the switch.
    Ordered 16/8/13, Build Week 44, Delivery Nov/Dec 13. Panther Black / Silver Alcantara, 3dr S-Tronic. Black Styling Package, Black 3D Design Inlays, 18" x 7.5J ‘5-twin-spoke “Star”’ design anthracite, partly polished alloy wheels with 225/40 R18 tyres,
    Technology Pack, Comfort Pack (cruise control & rear parking sensors), B&O Sound System , Interior Light Pack, Full LED Headlights Lights, Non-Smokers Pack, Privacy Glass, Extended Mono.Pur Finish

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paullowther View Post
    Non-smoking pack has a chrome front to the switch whilst opting to keep the smoking pack leaves you with a black plastic cover to the switch.
    Like this one

I was wondering more about the actual socket, if that differed at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast