AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

LED - Now autumns here

Now it's getting darker at night, in the northern hemisphere, is there anyone with LED headlights who can say it's a worth while extra? Also what about the cabin led upgrade, is that a proposition or just a bit of tarting up?
    They say it's like driving in daytime.......now come on!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Xenon lights are plenty bright enough for me!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status

Red face

But how do you know?
    My wife hates night driving but if LED is as good as it says? then that's another thing. I can drive out for a little drinkie and she can drive back without complaining. Must be good. A win, win situation.

2nd Gear

Status
    Xenon outputs around 2.5 times the light output of Halogen. LED is somewhere in between. The principal led benefit is the increased efficiency i.e. a marginal reduction in fuel consumption. The emphasis is on marginal. Xenon is the best.
    A3 2.0TDI Sportback S Line 184 Quattro S-Tronic, Mar. 2014 Glacier white. Electric seats, sunroof, se suspension, heated folding mirrors, Reversing camera, Nappa leather, TPMS, Hold assist, Xenon plus adaptive lights with variable active range control, lane assist, Interior light pack, Technology pack, Comfort pack with ACC, park assist & parking system plus

6th Gear

Status
    You can have very variable beam patterns with LED too which let you do all sorts of cool things like selectively masking parts of the beam where other cars / people are and lighting up everything around them, but I agree that Xenons are probably brighter - I can't imagine LEDs being as bright.

I was testing the variable range headlight control on my car this weekend and it's very impressive. It struggled slightly with hills but that can't be helped even normally - if you are cresting a hill, then cars coming up the hill towards you will see your dipped beam as 'full' anyway, however you have it set up! All the other times though it detected the cars in front and the cars coming towards me, and adjusted the beam to fall slightly below their lights, constantly adjusting as they came nearer and went past - didn't have to switch the beam manually throughout the entire journey!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Full LED baby !

Status
    well I ordered LED headlights but didn't receive them yet .

However, I know 2 people that have and they can't stop telling they are wayyyyyy better than xenon, brighter and better for the eyes.

plus you got motorway mode and others that xenon haven't

aloso remember LED have "Variable headlight range control" and "adaptative headlight included" !
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

1st Gear

Status
    Motorway mode??
    2013 A3 SportBack 181 2.0TDI. Shiraz Red - Panoramic Sunroof, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Audi Sound System, Hill Hold Assist, Folding Mirrors, Debadged.

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    Same here, I've ordered but not yet taken delivery.

One of the main selling points, if Audi material is to be believed, is that the spectrum of the LED lights more closely resembles that of natural light. So although they may not be technically as bright the illumination is clearer and easier on the eye than the cooler light of xenon. I guess this makes a difference if you are driving for prolonged periods at night.

Plus they look fairly awesome!
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smk82 View Post
    Motorway mode??
    here it is for the A7 and A6, but it's the same for the A3 : LED headlights > A7 Sportback > Audi Coimbatore
    Audi A6 LED Headlights

and there is also this "all weather mode" that seems to be very good when it's raining :

"When driving on regular or high speed roads in bad weather conditions, the Adverse Weather system concentrates lighting on certain areas of vision, thus reducing glare due to reflections from wet roads or fog."

Last edited by snowfree52; 19th September 2013 at 14:48.
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Neutral

Status
    Now this is what I was getting at.

They resemble daytime light and therefore have less strain on the eye and also for those coming the other way. I remember well when I first got my Mercedes S class with xenon in 1999. It seemed to, going by the mad flashing back, glare at people even in dipped, but it has to be admitted this seems to have stopped nowadays. Perhaps people are used to the extra odd looking bright light and yes I have a 14 year old S class bought from new and it's my darling even now. Even if it only does about 20 mpg (4.3 ltr petrol)

At the end of the day it will be very interesting just how much LED encroach on the Xenon patch in the years to come.

2nd Gear

Status
    I have gone for the standard xenons blind as came with S Line and just saw it as a bonus on upgraded appearance / spec and then was pleasantly surprised at the feed back on them, but until now saw LEDs as a cool gimmick, but can see the advantages of the technology now, far more advanced than I had thought.
    Will become cheaper / standard over time if as good as it appears to be. may be next time.
    A3 sport back, Misano Red, S Line, 1.4 C.O.D. Manual, Panoramic Sunroof, Audi sound system, Folding mirrors, Interior lights pack, Non smoking, Delete Badges, Sports suspension, Hill hold & 2 year servicing & 4 year warrantee.

1st Gear

Status
    Standard led exnon lights on the s-line , I also think they are better than my Q5 xenon's

A3, 2.0 TDI, S-Line, 6 speed manual, Scuba Blue, S-Line suspension, heated/folding mirrors, privacy glass, fine nappa leather, heated seats, light/rain sensor pack, flat tyre indicator, Purchased and supplied by Aberdeen Audi

6th Gear

Status
    LEDs already are cheap, it's just Audi that rip you off for them - look at the Seat Leon for example, far cheaper!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Agree with the majority here. Xenon Plus does the trick for me, anyway LED are far to expensive in my opinion (and that is twice the Price than xenon plus, here in Denmark. A prober rip off).

Neutral

Status
    Very hard to put a price on safety. I'm 68 (but a young one) and as time goes by a better view of the road in front will probably keep me night driving for longer and of course make it safer for other drivers. Also can't stress enough just how good it would be to find my wife driving more at night. She hates it at the moment but if the light is more like day light it could swing things.
    Guess time will tell but I'm still looking forward to finding out when I get delivery December.