What Diesel should I use?

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on a similar thread about what petrol to use, Would be interested on views on value of using branded diesel v supermarket diesel.

My interest is more on any improved performance rather than improved economy that I might get.

I always use Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel in my Vivaro van it just makes it perform so much better, also I've been told Shell fuel is one of the best you can buy.

Buy any diesel you want but STAY away from the supermarkets, the filler cap on your car mentions not to use Bio Diesel, some supermarkets have up to 10% Bio Diesel in their tanks. So use garages if you want to pay for the performance diesel over normal it's your choice but I use conventional diesel never used the high bred stuff.
And of course stay away from the red stuff....ha ha

Personally I use the Shell V-Power Nitro+. Never use supermarket i've heard too many bad things..

I have tried the Shell fuel save vs the V-Power and found i actually get more out a tank of V-Power plus the car feels more reactive on the throttle. Although I don't know if this is just my perception or genuine gains.

Also my car seems to run more smokey on fuel save or equivelant.. which is nice to avoid.

Reactions: Daveotto
I always use Shell or Esso standard, find its worth about 5 mpg more than supermarket stuff.

Reactions: Saabman
All ways use esso high, (can not think of the name of it) never supermarket, rather push her to the next pump

only issues i notice is with morrison's fuel, moved to shell and tesco's for loyalty points as BP points are worth jackS**t

In my experience diesel engines in general seem to feel 'happier' on branded quality fuel compared to supermarket rubbish. I only use regular Shell diesel in my current car and will use same in my A3.

I've always used supermarket fuel since I have one verye close to my house and never had any problem on any car I had :faint:

And those includes a higly modified caterham, a lotus Elise, a remapped golf diesel, a remapped Audi S3 ...

Last edited:
I included a list of cars in my post, in case someone said "yes but you only had crap diesel et cetera" :lmfao:

shell v power nitro. Performs better, less smokey, idles better, more mpg, enough to actually work out slightly cheaper per tank despite the higher cost. I fill up 1-3 times a week, i notice a big difference. Average 7mpg better. Approx 2p per mile cheaper with todays fuel figures.

I usually use this one......drive on the back roads :jester:
Code:
[IMG]http://www.wildingmotors.com/WM%20RED%20DIESEL%201.JPG[/IMG]

I do 30,000 miles a year so this is important to me. I use Tesco mostly and the civic 2.2 runs fine. It is true that better fuel will give better mpg and run better but there was a survey that said supermarket fuel gave the best performance as the fuel is replaced so quickly it didn't get chance to age. Either way I guess we'll all be doing our own spread sheets.

I came across an interesting note on one of the A1 forums regards the octane rating of the fuel (95/98) and how your engine may be tuned to run better on a particular octane rating. Can anyone who has the 2.0TDI (150 or better yet the 185) have a look in their manual/car fuel flap and see what fuel is recommended?

Octane of diesel is more in the 25-30 range I think! Sounds like they were talking about petrol

Oops.. my heads not in the game.. too excited over the fact that my car is now at the dealership! Anyway the point remains, is their a specified note in the manual/filler cap on the diesels recommended a specific type of fuel? Or is it more with petrol engines that this is a consideration?

I'll have a look in a minute, I'm going down to my car in a bit. Pretty sure it just says 'Diesel' though.

Here you go

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380191879943.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380191879943.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 250
There is, right under where it says 'DIESEL' it says 'NOT FOR BIODIESEL', though I'm sure this means 100% biodiesel...

Hi, sorry I couldn't see that. I am sure that all modern diesels are able to take a percentage of bio..

Reactions: cemerson
Diesels can run on all sorts of stuff, they are quite tolerant engines!

I have used mainly Tesco diesel in my car from new, my last tankful was Shell V-power diesel, It didn't make a blind bit of difference, didn't feel any quicker and I don't appear to have any MPG improvements so back to Tescos for me,I may throw in the odd tankful just for the cleaning properties. My S3 had a liking for V-power, it did make a big difference and was well worth the extra, an extra 8p per litre for the diesel version simply isn't worth it in my opinion.

Mark

Diesels engines can run on all sorts of stuff but the common rail fuel pumps can't and nor can the rubber fuel hoses.

Pretty sure that cars in the last 5 years had to be able to cope with up to 10% biofuel long term.

I am petrol not diesel but I still use Shell V-Power Nitro or (at a push) BP ultimate/Tesco Momentum.

John.

Diesels can run on all sorts of stuff, they are quite tolerant engines!

Try that and find out the issues you will have, water will seize your injectors, too much wax in the fuel will cause sluggish performance, not enough wax will cause laqure and cause injectors to stick when hot.
You will find the fuel filters are 2 micron units to help keep the injection system clean and help you performance stay up.
Don't be fooled that they will run on anything, even if the diesel is 2 years old the performance will be down and you will have bad starting.

Last edited:
Yes, I said 'all sorts of stuff' not 'absolutely anything' !