Tyre pressure's on collection

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Had assumed tyre pressures would be at nominal when I collected 2 weeks ago and only checked them today, after 300 miles so would not expect them to have changed much since I picked the car up.

Have 18" and fronts should be around 38 -40 psi and were inflated to only 32psi and rears were at 33psi and nominal is about 40 - 44psi, better low than too high but disappointed that the dealer did not check these as part of PDI

Not sure if anyone has had this , but if you have only recently collected and not checked your tyre pressures might be worth giving them a quick check.

I've always assumed the dealer has done everything correct. Now I will need to check if they are at the correct pressure.

I checked mine a few days after collection, and had the same experience. I think what the dealer might have done is inflated them to the pressures intended for 17" wheels, which IIRC are lower.

There has been other posts in the past about this, I don't think it's that uncommon unfortunately.
I'm sure from memory someone had almost dangerously high type pressure when they checked shortly after collection and took it up with there dealer, so it's worth a check.

Would the tyres be over inflated during production on the assumption the car may be stored for a few weeks and also assuming the dealer will check pressures during pre-delivery inspection? They recommend over inflating your tyres if a car is going into storage. Yes I know, Audi A3's are rarely stored due to a waiting list!! I will certainly check mine now - once it stops raining!

They are pumped up very high when the leave the factory because it they don't move around so much in transport. They also put blocks into the suspension to raise it up.

As to why they don't inflate them to the correct pressure I have no idea. Maybe to lazy to find out the correct pressure.

Always worth a check, although it should get picked up on the PDI. I would be surprised if the tyre pressures arent on the door as with most cars.

I also think ou need to reset your tyre pressure sensor if you change the pressures too much

The wheels and tyres may be supplied from a 3rd party during build and as long as they are hard that will do the factory, butthe dealership should adjust them as required. Inform the dealership to make sure its passed on to the maintenance department.

When I was PDI trucks we had to correct the steering alignment as this was not done in the factory, also wheel bearings tightened up and packed whith grease, this was on heavy commercials

I've read a post on this before. A guy went back to dealer and I'm sure he had the tyres replaced due to them being over inflated. (Suspect tyre damage) they are over inflated due to transporting but dealer should check on the pdi. I'm off to check mine now!

I am confused now. I have a 1.8 Quattro with Cont. 225/40R 18Y tyres fitted. When I checked the pressures on delivery they are 32psi front and 30psi rear. On checking the numbers on the door it reads 38psi front and 35psi rear. I have checked my gauge with another and it appears to be OK. Does the dealer know something I dont?

I'm unsure but 38 seems a little high. You will get a terrible ride if over inflated, the car Wil tramline and the steering will feel bad. I guess the sticker in the door is max maybe? Someone with better knowledge will surely be along soon!

I used to work in a tyre bay and all say to have 32-34 psi all round.. I have never heard of having 38 psi in an 18 inch alloy so it does sound high to me !

Attached is door tyre inflation sticker from my A3 SB 2.0TDI 150BHP

Stand partially corrected in my criticism of dealer PDI as now under closer inspection in the dry and light compared to last nights dark and wet, the inflation pressures were not as far out as I first thought.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,902
I have the same sticker as Daveotto, but many of us appear to have lower pressures on our new car on delivery (mine - F32/R30)?

I have tried the car at the higher pressures and the ride has little changed from the lower psi.

I have fired off an e-mail, both to the dealer I bought the car from and to Audi Customer Services, I will let you all know what they say.

I'm sure ours is 36 front 33 rear, its a different sticker (we're 18 in on SE suspension). Why is this one so much higher???

whats supposed to be my type pressure?

I've got 225/45 R17 ???? do not know other than its continental tyres. I checked today after reading this thread from last night. Was about 31PSI.

whats supposed to be my type pressure?

I've got 225/45 R17 ???? do not know other than its continental tyres. I checked today after reading this thread from last night. Was about 31PSI.

According to the sticker it will be 35 and 32 if you have standard 91Y tyres.

I am Sports suspension and Quattro, would the extra weight of Quattro require an increased psi?

Im guessing it certainly will affect the PSI having the extra weight of the driveshaft and everything else. Might also be some impact on the pressures needed as the wheels are actually driven.

I'll have to check my car when it gets here and make a mental note for the extra weight and PSI amounts, some big differences in numbers needed.

I can see people being offended though when I pick up three friends from a shopping trip and let them know I need to pop to the garage to put some more air in the tyres.

Just received an e-mail from my local dealer's service department. He insists my A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic with Cont 225/40R 18Y tyres should have tyre pressures of 32 psi Front and 29 psi rear. If that is the case the sticker on the door is wrong!! He has invited me to visit them tomorrow, so will let you know the outcome. In any event this confusion is not good for owners. Sent an e-mail to Audi Customers Services 3 days ago, but no reply.

Checked mine day after collection. Pressures correct from dealer.

Just received an e-mail from my local dealer's service department. He insists my A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic with Cont 225/40R 18Y tyres should have tyre pressures of 32 psi Front and 29 psi rear. If that is the case the sticker on the door is wrong!! He has invited me to visit them tomorrow, so will let you know the outcome. In any event this confusion is not good for owners. Sent an e-mail to Audi Customers Services 3 days ago, but no reply.

would be really interested to hear the dealer rationale on this

doesn't inspire confidence does it. Be interesting to see what they say.
i doubt there is enough difference to cause any problems, but wonder where you would stand if they tell you different pressures to the sticker and you go with the wrong one and get a problem ?
Be good to get it in writing (email) from the dealer if is different just in case as a set of tyres isn't cheap.

Eating humble pie here!!! Visited the dealer this morning and he tested my tyres using his 'calibrated' tyre pressure gauge. The target pressures are 38 psi front and 35 psi rear. When my pressure were checked they were found to be 46 psi front and 40 psi rear!! When I checked back home, one gauge was 8psi out and the other 6psi, so that's two gauges in the bin for a start. Bit of a worry though, I bet there are many out there with the same issue. I am thinking of buying a Race X Professional Tyre Pressure gauge, but am I wasting my money again?
31bipRj%2B3OL.jpg

Just googled this:

most gauges are manufactured to BS EN 12645:1999 and must be accurate to:​
±​

0.08 bar up to and including 4 bar

±​
0.16 bar over 4 bar up to 10 bar
NB 1 bar equates to approximately 14.5 psi

So for a nominal 40psi inflation pressure should be accurate to Ca. +/- 1.5psi when you buy it assuming it is manufactured to this standard, problem comes with annaul/recalibration.

I am Ring Automotive digital gauge which i think is manufactured to this BS standard, but is 2-3 years old so do not know how accurate it is now, I could compare to a garage forecourt gauge once a year which should to the same BS standard but have not done to date

Last edited: