Has anyone used the Audi "Music Stream" app?

97catalunya

Reaction score
I have the Tech Pack in my car, but not Audi Connect. I have discovered however my car creates a WiFi hotspot so that I can use the "Music Stream" app.
I idea is great :D no wires no plugging into the AMI the phone will connect to the MMI via WiFi and give me full access to the music on my iPhone, navigate through my music with artwork and everything, even gives you Internet radio!

The only thing is every 15 mins or so it looses connection unless I unlock my phone and the music restarts? It's almost as if the WiFi in the phone has gone into sleep mode as it doesn't realise it's being used.

Anyone had any success with this? Or even realise their car has WiFi? Lol I didn't!!

The wifi hotspot is supposed to be a connect feature so that's surprising... had to turn mine on through the connect menu before I could use it!

I've had a look at the app away from the car (you can play the internet radio directly through the app), I've yet to try it in the car though.

The wifi hotspot is supposed to be a connect feature so that's surprising... had to turn mine on through the connect menu before I could use it!

I've had a look at the app away from the car (you can play the internet radio directly through the app), I've yet to try it in the car though.

I thought it was connect only too? Had to double check they didn't add it by accident but alas no SIM card slot :( I wish I had added it for the live traffic alone. But I ruled it out as I thought I will never check twitter or Facebook etc while on the move.

It's weird though, sometimes it disappears and I have to scroll through the media input list a couple of times until it appears. It almost makes me think Audi fit it but disable it turning it on only for connect users, it's like mine showing itself to me is a glitch ;)

Are you absolutely sure it's wifi and not bluetooth? I agree with Cemerson, I thought WiFi was Connect only :readit:

If it turns out that the map updates are included as part of connect only, then I think it'll have been worth it even without the other features! The facebook etc integration are actually pretty well done. You can post statuses (pre-set ones that you set up online in your myAudi account) that can include info from the sat nav like distance or time to go, current location etc, which is pretty cool. I haven't made use of the live traffic updates yet (though do have it + dynamic re-routing switched on), but it has some awesome other stuff like finding parking near your destination (or near you), along with telling you the parking fees and number of free spaces in each place, fuel prices nearby (the car knows its required fuel type as well so can sort based on that), there's an RSS reader built in for news (or anything I guess), and google maps 'send to car' is built in for the navigation as well, so you can just find somewhere in google, click it, send, to car. It then appears in your destinations list in the car - brilliant!

On mine it's Menu | Connect | Settings | WLAN Hotspot - no idea where it would be on one without connect! Perhaps it just shows up in the media sources list?

Yeah I'm 99.9% certain I won't have this option, but will double check in the morning. Interestingly the My Audi site is telling me I can use the Audi Music Streaming service, which kinda implies maybe tech-pack cars are capable of it.... maybe this is another subtle model year change and I just missed out with mine.

If it turns out that the map updates are included as part of connect only, then I think it'll have been worth it even without the other features! The facebook etc integration are actually pretty well done. You can post statuses (pre-set ones that you set up online in your myAudi account) that can include info from the sat nav like distance or time to go, current location etc, which is pretty cool. I haven't made use of the live traffic updates yet (though do have it + dynamic re-routing switched on), but it has some awesome other stuff like finding parking near your destination (or near you), along with telling you the parking fees and number of free spaces in each place, fuel prices nearby (the car knows its required fuel type as well so can sort based on that), there's an RSS reader built in for news (or anything I guess), and google maps 'send to car' is built in for the navigation as well, so you can just find somewhere in google, click it, send, to car. It then appears in your destinations list in the car - brilliant!

Yeah I wish I had opted for it but thought I wouldn't use it doh! If only Audi had posted digital handbooks online then I think I would have done :(

The site should know what your car can/can't do I think once you put in the VIN

Yeah I wish I had opted for it but thought I wouldn't use it doh! If only Audi had posted digital handbooks online then I think I would have done :(

Heh, I was sad enough to borrow a full manual from a demo car at my dealers to read to decide what options I thought were worth it, and he sent me a pdf brochure of connect as soon as that was available too!

The one thing that I wish it had, that I used on my old car all the time, is a speed limiter. The Golf supports it through the cruise control system, and its the same system, so the support is there... just not used on the A3. Shame, it's really useful!

Yeah I put the VIN in. Interesting I just found this:

"By connecting a USB broadband modem (‘UMTS stick’) via the optionally available USB adapter cable to the Audi music interface, it is also possible during the journey to conveniently choose from numerous Internet radio stations and to enjoy listening to these live in the vehicle.As soon as a USB broadband modem has been connected, a wireless hotspot is available in the vehicle. Rear seat passengers can use their laptops, iPads or netbooks to conveniently access information and e-mails or to surf the web during the journey."

Audi connect services > Audi Worldwide

Which implies connecting a USB mobile internet dongle to the car will make it create a WiFi hotspot.... which also implies the WiFi capability is there by default..... the mystery deepens...

Interesting - so the wifi hotspot could be there just to create a local network normally (obviously no internet access possible with no sim). First I have seen this, wonder if its a recent thing?

Though I know some of the features on that page (setting up recordings etc) are for the A1 and Q3 only at the moment.

Wish connect had been available when I ordered my car :(

I watied for it before ordering mine - the day my dealer emailed me to say it could be specced I went in there and started the order.

Ok found it under media source list

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882813379534

It was greyed out until I turned it on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882848312322

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882861578826

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378882873745956

If the car has the hardware for WiFi surly with software they could program it to connect to a WiFi hotspot for connect, ie I can turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot? Rather than using a sim or SAP (if I had opted for connect)

I reckon the WiFi bit must be a plugin module somewhere, and it looks like yours was connected! Either that or you got a partial connect upgrade, just without the SIM card slot.

I definitely don't have WiFi in my list of media sources, however hard I tried to make it appear!!

Interesting thread.

I'm not going to say I told you so, but I did say I was getting connect mainly for the online traffic, not TwitFace.

As it happens I tried using AMS for internet radio on the way home last night. I was listening to a radio station from Tenerife! It did drop out a few times though.

It's weird, because the WLAN settings are appearing in the media section, with the yellow surrounds etc, but on connect they appear in the connect section, which is blue...

Ok found it under media source list

View attachment 20767

It was greyed out until I turned it on

View attachment 20768

View attachment 20769

View attachment 20770

If the car has the hardware for WiFi surly with software they could program it to connect to a WiFi hotspot for connect, ie I can turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot? Rather than using a sim or SAP (if I had opted for connect)

Just noticed something......

Why does your source list only show 1 SD card? On mine, even if the 2nd slot is empty it still shows it, and it just says "Empty" next to it...

I'll have to check mine later to see what it says in the media sources list

Yep, Cemerson you're right. Just checked and If you have no cards in either slot it just shows 'SD Card' greyed out, rather than showing anything as empty. That explains that one then!

What is the website where you enter your vin to see the spec list of your car? I have checked out "my audi" and it shows me a graphic of my car and tells me gearbox engine and that its an S-Line but I can't see much more than that?

That's all it should show I think - but it would show the connect features if you had connect. There is a VW options code decoder somewhere but I've not seen one that works on the VIN.

That's all it should show I think - but it would show the connect features if you had connect. There is a VW options code decoder somewhere but I've not seen one that works on the VIN.

Oh ok, the website gives me a code to link it to "connect" and tells me I can update maps etc. but I am presuming this is just a generic offering from the website.

I don't get a code offered for mine. It really does sound like Audi have put connect in yours! I don't think My Audi would offer you the option to link it up if it didn't think you had it....

I don't get a code offered for mine. It really does sound like Audi have put connect in yours! I don't think My Audi would offer you the option to link it up if it didn't think you had it....

The plot thickens! So the MMI doesn't offer me anywhere to enter the code?

I still think the hardware must be present but deactivated if you don't opt for it? It's said there is a software glitch letting me see it? My phone is seeing the WiFi hotspot today but won't connect to it?

Maybe the tech pack computer includes the necessary hardware for WiFi etc, but they don't activate it or add the SIM card slot unless you chose connect?

Odd that's it's offering you a link to connect it on My Audi tho as that suggests Audi think they enabled it on yours.

Keep digging, we'll get to the bottom of it soon! Lol

Maybe the tech pack computer includes the necessary hardware for WiFi etc, but they don't activate it or add the SIM card slot unless you chose connect?

Odd that's it's offering you a link to connect it on My Audi tho as that suggests Audi think they enabled it on yours.

Keep digging, we'll get to the bottom of it soon! Lol

Ha ha I am but my shovel is beginning to get blunt? Lol

Ok so a little off topic. Off you have a USB and ami in the Center arm rest does this mean you have 'connect' I asked my dealer a few time about 'connect' and they assured me the a3 it comes as standard. I didn't spec it and I don't have the USB. Not tech pack. Gutted, wish I'd have know more about these cars before ordering. I have a good spec but there are a few nighles in detail I'm upset about!

Ok so a little off topic. Off you have a USB and ami in the Center arm rest does this mean you have 'connect' I asked my dealer a few time about 'connect' and they assured me the a3 it comes as standard. I didn't spec it and I don't have the USB. Not tech pack. Gutted, wish I'd have know more about these cars before ordering. I have a good spec but there are a few nighles in detail I'm upset about!

Connect is an option that can be added to the Tech Pack, so if no Tech Pack then deffo no Connect.
In the arm rest will be the AMI connector (standard on all models) you will only get the USB power outlet if you opted for the "Phone Box"
Hope this helps ;)

Reactions: Gswearengin
Clear as a whistle thank you! I was pussy footing around when ordering and left it too late to change order. Hence missed out :(

Ok just checked the MMI software version and it is MHIG_EU_AU_P0337

How does this compare to everyone else's?