Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RossR

Thread: Windscreen wiper niggle

5th Gear

Status

Windscreen wiper niggle

First time I have used the wipers in earnest in today's rain and noticed on the upward stroke the drivers side blade clashes with the far right edge of the windscreen frame at the end of the stroke and gives an annoying thud on each sweep, anyone else notice this, if it persists could be my first trip back to a dealer for some remedial work.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Hmmm, no mine doesn't do that. Sounds like you'll have to pop it back into the dealer and get them sort it.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    mine "wiggles" on the return.

Audi will have a look at it tomorrow, he said it might be the initial push that messes with the "journey" of the left arm

1st Gear

Status
    Mine doesn't do that.

The problem that I have with my wipers is that I can't lift any more than a few inches to clean under them, because the bonnet gets in the way! Have I missed something obvious?

5th Gear

Status
    Yes! You need to set the wipers to the service position in the MMI, then you can lift them fully to clean and maintain
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Ahhhhhhhh - That's a bit unusual! Cheers mate!

2nd Gear

Status
    Not sure if you can do it through the MMI as well, but this is how I get them into the service position:

Switch ignition on (don't need to start the engine though)
    Switch ignition off
    Press the wiper stalk down, as if to do a single wipe.
    Daveotto and Karl Alesbury like this.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post
    Not sure if you can do it through the MMI as well, but this is how I get them into the service position:

Switch ignition off
    Will try putting into an out of service postion a couple of times when I get back in a couple of days fom a business trip to see if that rectifies the problem on mine.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

Neutral

Status
    Can't say mine thuds although I do have a wiggle on the right arm when it goes up and down and also an annoying squeak!
    Audi A3 8V 2.0 TDI S-Line Scuba Blue
    | Comfort Pack | Technology Pack | Interior Light Pack | Bang & Olufsen Sound | Advanced Key | Deletion of Model & Tech | Privacy Glass |
    | Elec Folding, Heated & Dimming Mirrors | Perf Alcantara & Leather Seats |

1st Gear

Status
    As RossR said took me awhile to figure it out

Neutral

Status
    On-off-up&down that's just plain daft! But I'm glad I know how to do in now...
    2013 A3 SB 2.0TDI S line, Dakota Grey, Half Leather, Sports suspension, SD card Sat Nav, Cruise control, DAB radio, Audi sound system, Through-load facility, Hold assist, Heated front seats​

1st Gear

Status
    Ok so first time out in the rain today. Wipers do that return wiggle as other have mentioned. Has anyone been to the dealers to sort? Didn't notice the catch on the top of the screen but to be fair I was more irritated by the wiggle
    A3 S Line 1.8 TFSI Quattro S Tronic
    Brilliant Red, Acoustic parking, Adaptive/Xenons plus, Advanced Key, B&O, Comfort pack, Door mirrors, Interior light pack, Privacy Glass, S Line sports suspension, Tyre Pressure Monitor, SD SatNav
    Happy days

5th Gear

Status
    Putting washers into service mode a couple of times did not seem to do anything to the allignment.

Have now found that somtimes the top of drivers side blade clashes with windscreen frame and sometimes does not, this is more of an annoyance than anytihng else and will take up with dealer if i have to take in for something more substantial or it gets worse, would be good if others see the same problem they can add to this thread

I do not get the return wiggle!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RossR View Post

Switch ignition off
    Not tried this on my A3 yet, however the two Golfs I owned previous had exactly the same procedure so I assume it's standard on VAG cars. Only wiper niggle I've noticed so far is that the rear one jumps rather than wiping smoothly. I'm assuming it's just contamination on the blade or glass; hopefully the Gtechniq treatment later this week will help.
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by driver_tim View Post
    Not tried this on my A3 yet, however the two Golfs I owned previous had exactly the same procedure so I assume it's standard on VAG cars. Only wiper niggle I've noticed so far is that the rear one jumps rather than wiping smoothly. I'm assuming it's just contamination on the blade or glass; hopefully the Gtechniq treatment later this week will help.
    Actually Gtechniq glass coatings sometimes make that sort of judder worse but only for a week or so. I got the full gtechniq treatment on my A3 and the front wiper juddered a lot to start with.

3rd Gear

Status
    How good quality are the blades on the A3? I had to replace my Golf ones because of similar symptoms and the 3rd party replacements have been faultless.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.