Windscreen wiper niggle

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
First time I have used the wipers in earnest in today's rain and noticed on the upward stroke the drivers side blade clashes with the far right edge of the windscreen frame at the end of the stroke and gives an annoying thud on each sweep, anyone else notice this, if it persists could be my first trip back to a dealer for some remedial work.

Hmmm, no mine doesn't do that. Sounds like you'll have to pop it back into the dealer and get them sort it.

mine "wiggles" on the return.

Audi will have a look at it tomorrow, he said it might be the initial push that messes with the "journey" of the left arm

Mine doesn't do that.

The problem that I have with my wipers is that I can't lift any more than a few inches to clean under them, because the bonnet gets in the way! Have I missed something obvious?

Yes! You need to set the wipers to the service position in the MMI, then you can lift them fully to clean and maintain :icon_thumright:

Not sure if you can do it through the MMI as well, but this is how I get them into the service position:

Switch ignition on (don't need to start the engine though)
Switch ignition off
Press the wiper stalk down, as if to do a single wipe.

Reactions: Daveotto and Karl Alesbury
Not sure if you can do it through the MMI as well, but this is how I get them into the service position:

Switch ignition off

Will try putting into an out of service postion a couple of times when I get back in a couple of days fom a business trip to see if that rectifies the problem on mine.

Can't say mine thuds although I do have a wiggle on the right arm when it goes up and down and also an annoying squeak!

On-off-up&down that's just plain daft! But I'm glad I know how to do in now...

Ok so first time out in the rain today. Wipers do that return wiggle as other have mentioned. Has anyone been to the dealers to sort? Didn't notice the catch on the top of the screen but to be fair I was more irritated by the wiggle :(

Putting washers into service mode a couple of times did not seem to do anything to the allignment.

Have now found that somtimes the top of drivers side blade clashes with windscreen frame and sometimes does not, this is more of an annoyance than anytihng else and will take up with dealer if i have to take in for something more substantial or it gets worse, would be good if others see the same problem they can add to this thread

I do not get the return wiggle!!!!

Switch ignition off

Not tried this on my A3 yet, however the two Golfs I owned previous had exactly the same procedure so I assume it's standard on VAG cars. Only wiper niggle I've noticed so far is that the rear one jumps rather than wiping smoothly. I'm assuming it's just contamination on the blade or glass; hopefully the Gtechniq treatment later this week will help.

Not tried this on my A3 yet, however the two Golfs I owned previous had exactly the same procedure so I assume it's standard on VAG cars. Only wiper niggle I've noticed so far is that the rear one jumps rather than wiping smoothly. I'm assuming it's just contamination on the blade or glass; hopefully the Gtechniq treatment later this week will help.

Actually Gtechniq glass coatings sometimes make that sort of judder worse but only for a week or so. I got the full gtechniq treatment on my A3 and the front wiper juddered a lot to start with.

How good quality are the blades on the A3? I had to replace my Golf ones because of similar symptoms and the 3rd party replacements have been faultless.