A3 / A5 - different Satnav ?

Chester Draws

Reaction score
My A3 SB is in the stealership , they are trying to fix my bad wind ! They have lean't me an A5 Quattro for a couple of days and guess what , the Hindhead tunnel is correct and shown whilst on my newer A3 SB it is totally missing.

This is a known issue on the A3 but I had presumed that Audi Satnav was standard build as such and not a different type . The A5 is an older build 13 plate end of 2012 so what is going on , anybody got any ideas?

chester

Dunno - bring it up with the dealer and demand that your A3 sat nav is updated

That's going to be a mapping issue not a problem with the sat nav unit.

Audi get their mapping data from a third party and regularly (annually?) release an updated SD card or DVD of maps (there are a few different systems) which you can purchase for a not insignificant sum of money.

The A5 uses the DVD based system compared to the SD cards in the A3, I'm guessing the DVDs are slightly newer than the SD cards or the mapping data comes from a different company.

Your dealer may know when the newer SD maps may be released but I don't think they will do anything else to help.

It's worth noting that if you register on my.audi.com, there is a 'Map Update Service' with the following message:

The navigation system of your vehicle is up to date.

The map update service of your MMI Navigation plus with MMI Touch enables you to download the latest navigation maps. The factory map version can be updated with five semi-annual navigation updates.

As soon as new maps are available for your vehicle, you can download them from this site and easily install them in the vehicle via an SD card. So that you are always on the road with the latest maps.

For detailed instructions, click on the information icon above.

I don't know if this is just because I have Connect (you access a lot of connect services through this portal), or anyone can register, but it seems promising that you'll get some updates for free at least.

I don't know if this is just because I have Connect (you access a lot of connect services through this portal), or anyone can register, but it seems promising that you'll get some updates for free at least.

Well that would be a great improvement. For my 8L and 8P S3s Audi have charged an arm and a leg for map upgrades. I guess with apps like Google maps available now and cheap sat navs being similar in price to the map discs they can't get away with it any more.

Well that would be a great improvement. For my 8L and 8P S3s Audi have charged an arm and a leg for map upgrades. I guess with apps like Google maps available now and cheap sat navs being similar in price to the map discs they can't get away with it any more.

Indeed, if this is the case it may well persuade me to get my sat nav activated. Has anyone with the standard sat nav (i.e. non tech pack/connect) been able to update their maps in this manner?

Well I logged in with mine (Tech Pack but not connect) and it just told me that there was nothing available for my car..... other than some handbooks on how to use connect!

So it looks like this method isn't any good for updating non-connect cars :(

Doesn't it even have a 'Map Update Service' link under Services? Mine says there's nothing available but gives that info on it. When the updates are available you still have to download them to an SD card or CD/DVD to use, it isn't done over connect so not sure why you'd need connect for it.

I don't get a services tab. It shows my vehicle, and when I click on that I get a 'widget' which says "Audi Music Interface Online", and then an option to add widgets, but if I select this it says "Widgets are no longer available for your vehicle".

The only other things on the page is an FAQ, Connect User Guide, and a link to the Mobile Phone support site.

OK, guess it's connect only then. I'll let you know if/when I get an update appear how it goes!