One of those days

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Put a few miles on the car today back and forth from football and parents etc and was challenged and tailgated first by a Focus ST then by a vauxhall VXR, a 5 series BMW and then finally by a 1 series BMW with blacked out windows. Refused to race any of them as had kids an wifein the car, and would not have anyway as would have been no match for any except maybe the 5 series as don't think that was particularly high spec.

I just went on my merry way with a smug grin knowing that the looks of my new pride and joy made those others drivers think they had a point to prove!!!

One week in and loving this car more and more

Reactions: SportbackStu, TDI-line, StefRobinson and 1 other person
Put a few miles on the car today back and forth from football and parents etc and was challenged and tailgated first by a Focus ST then by a vauxhall VXR, a 5 series BMW and then finally by a 1 series BMW with blacked out windows. Refused to race any of them as had kids an wifein the car, and would not have anyway as would have been no match for any except maybe the 5 series as don't think that was particularly high spec.

I just went on my merry way with a smug grin knowing that the looks of my new pride and joy made those others drivers think they had a point to prove!!!

One week in and loving this car more and more

you can sit there in the comfort (literally) of knowing you are sitting in a nicer place to be than any of them, plus your in a car that stands out enough for them and to notice, without being in a lime green shouty chav mobile.

mmm can't wait.

Reactions: Sandra, Daveotto and cemerson
Exactly, I had forgotten how often this happens in a decent new car, when I am driving alone at most I might put my foot down for a few seconds then pull into the inside lane, then foot of the gas and then let them go.

The hold assist makes pulling away in a hurry a bit difficult, I had a go at turning it off today to see if it pulled away any quicker and it really does. Will have to remember that when I'm trying to pull away quickly at a tricky junction or something!

Depends if you're bothered by people trying to race you on the line or not :p

The hold assist makes pulling away in a hurry a bit difficult, I had a go at turning it off today to see if it pulled away any quicker and it really does. Will have to remember that when I'm trying to pull away quickly at a tricky junction or something!

Not really pushed it hard from a standing start yet, but still beating or holding my own with most cars off the start line without trying to hard, as not quiet clocked 300 miles and trying to avoid high revs in the low gears until I get above 500 miles. Will either, as you suggest, push the button to take it out of HA or more likely I will disengage it by sitting in gear and edging forward on the biting point should I feel the need to be a boy. racer, which I am sure I will on the odd occasion.

Last edited:
maybe its a good time to consider bying a 8V S3 in the future;).

I could be tempted in a couple of years by an 8V S3 or a RS Q3 or an SQ5..... No, lets stop for now and just enjoy what I have got

Reactions: RedDejavu
I could be tempted in a couple of years by an 8V S3 or a RS Q3 or an SQ5..... No, lets stop for now and just enjoy what I have got

Is it me, or is the NEW RSQ3 a bit of a lead balloon, costing from £43K and with 310PS, whereas the new S3 SB S-T costs £33K with 300PS. £10K for +10PS and bigger wheels.

Is it me, or is the NEW RSQ3 a bit of a lead balloon, costing from £43K and with 310PS, whereas the new S3 SB S-T costs £33K with 300PS. £10K for +10PS and bigger wheels.

Im not sure about the RSQ3, for me the A3 is far sportier than the Q3 which has the appearance of a comfy family car with the higher ride and bigger boot & and then to go all 'RS' does quite work for me, I would rather have a S3 any day for looks and presumable with lower centre of gravity will handle better ?

Reactions: Daveotto
Yesterday I was going to sunny devon for a holiday with the wife and really felt people were tailgating me , spoiling for a race, but didnt rise to the challenge. i did notice a porche behind me, and then there wasnt, boy did he make a noise as he passed me.

first long journey for me, was seeing how economical the car was, 150 miles and 62 mpg, at the end decided to switch off the display as it's no fun being economical!

When you put it that way yes, will scrub that off my list now

Yesterday I was going to sunny devon for a holiday with the wife and really felt people were tailgating me , spoiling for a race, but didnt rise to the challenge. i did notice a porche behind me, and then there wasnt, boy did he make a noise as he passed me.

first long journey for me, was seeing how economical the car was, 150 miles and 62 mpg, at the end decided to switch off the display as it's no fun being economical!

Mark, enjoy the holiday and keep taking the moral high ground

I am now a little bit worried about idiots wanting to race when the S3 arrives.

I do hope it doesnt attract idiots wanting to race, I kind of enjoy not having that at the moment, my little A1 doesnt seem to attract people in the same way.

I do hope it doesnt attract idiots wanting to race, I kind of enjoy not having that at the moment, my little A1 doesnt seem to attract people in the same way.

I expect that it will be a bit of a "d***h***d" magnet, but maybe not as much as a new A3 as I would expect that even the d***h***d's are intelligent enough to realise they would in the majority of cases be trounced if you did decide to race.

Don't know if it is just me but I do seem to be getting more than my fair share of attention over the last couple of days, had an A5 all over me on the way home from work but think he just wanted to get a closer look more than anything else.