New Audi A3: Glacier White or Daytona Grey?

Osman7

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've read countless forums, watched various videos and analysed pictures of the new A3 both in Glacier White and Daytona Grey. I've also seen both in person, yet I still can't make a decision. I would say I'm 60/40 Glacier White at the moment and here are my reasons and rationale as to why:

I'm 24 years old, working for an American multinational corporation that provides information technology
(IT) services and professional services, love watching a number of sports including Football, Tennis and F1, Apple fan-boy, cinema enthusiast, love my gadgets, clubbing on a weekend with friends or a midweek rendezvous with a lady friend, driving in to the city, to a shopping centre or even just driving around locally with friends. I'd say I'm quite cosmopolitan too!

I guess what I'm saying is I feel at the age of 24 maybe I should get the white out of my system, still being young and all. Don't get me wrong I love the Daytona Grey and the understated menacing Batmobile esque look that it gives. However my thinking is that I've got the rest of my life to be driving a grey car, for now the Glacier White might fit me best?

I'd love to hear other people's views, I'm just torn between the two! I hope you can help make my decision, I need to confirm the order tomorrow and it's a company car for 2 years!

You've definitely ruled out all the other colours? IMHO I think white was very popular the past few years but is now rather passé. But if anyone can still get away with it, a young buck like you can!
(Now waiting for the white owners to harangue me...)

Yes, I've ruled out all the other colors. It's definitely between them two for myself. I understand color is a personal choice and each to their own.

I agree with the comments about the white it has been very popular over the last few years, it was even the top color last year across Europe: http://www2.dupont.com/Media_Center...Images_2012/Dupont_Europe_Color_Chart(HR).jpg

Ahh I still can't decide, other views appreciated!

Thanks for your responses so far.

I love the Daytona Grey and went into the showroom ready to order it. It was only because they had a Shiraz Red on display that made me change my mind, not just because I really liked it but also because I wanted to be a little bit different. Too many Greys and Whites out there. But like you say it's personal taste so you should ignore all of us and go with your gut.

I test drove a Glacier white A3 and loved the colour. I wasn't a huge fan of white, but for me the Glacier white seemed to add something new, with the slight tint. My sister has a White Silver metallic Mini cooper and I think it adds something unique to what is a popular car.

I'm 26 and love the glacier white has an edge on other white cars as its metallic!

I agree there are a lot of whites and greys on the road currently, but damn there's just something about a white car that draws your attention! As for the red that's way too daring for me, you got balls!

Guys, I have a confession to make also lol!, I actually rang up the Audi Headquarters in Germany and managed to speak to at length to Dany Garand who designed the car to ask him his color choice. I gave him the two choices and his view was that they're both the best colors available on the new A3. Initially his view was the Daytona Grey on a S line and the Glacier White for a SE or Sport model, his reason being that the Glacier White was optically heavy on the S-line. However, after some more time on the phone he changed his decision and said the Glacier White, I asked him several times which one he would pick between the two and in the end he went for the Glacier White, he said the most important thing was that the wheels were 18 inch and it was atleast Sport suspension, he was very keen on the S-line suspension as it would give the same look of an S3.

I rang him the next day again saying initially you went for Daytona Grey then Glacier White and probed him even further, and then just said final answer which one would you pick being the Designer for the A3 and he went for the Glacier White! His view was that optically the cars exterior features stood out more in the Glacier White than on the Daytona Grey.

They're both great colors, but which one for me!!!

Reactions: TDI-line
I think both colours look stunning, and are my favourite colours of the range. In the end I ended up going for Daytona Grey mainly for two reasons:

Firstly, as someone has already mentioned, white has been quite popular over the last few years, and as stunning as it looks on the right car, I think it is going to be a short term phase being a popular colour, and in a few years time it might not be as fashionable. As I'm planning on keeping the car for a number of years, I wanted a colour that would look just as good in five years as it does now.

Secondly, the Daytona Grey is an exclusive colour for the S-Line models, so you will never see a non S-Line car in that colour. For both those reasons I went for Daytona Grey over white.

I think I'm probably a very similar person to you in terms of lifestyle and interests etc, although I'm a little older! Whichever you got for, it will look stunning. There are several photos on this forum of the car in both those colours.

Flip a coin if you're really not sure! :)

For me, the Glacier white was not my first choice, actually it was my last choice, my order would off been Silver, Daytona, Black, Dakota, white (scuba would be a no-no as my next door neighbour has an A3 SB S-line in Scuba) and then Glacier. Not really into the reds for me.

I never consider the no-cost option paints.

My last car was an A1 BE in Daytona grey, i had lived with the colour for 20 months, and it's one of those colours to me that grows on you, the fleck in the paint is amazing and just pops and sparkles in the sunlight, yet always has a discreet overtone to it.

I was going to spec a new A3 SB which was going to be either Silver, not too many on the road now, or go with Daytona.

My dealer found a new A3 SB Quattro which was with a good spec, was in Glacier white and was available now, this was good. The colour has really grown on me in only 7 days of ownership. The Glacier does have different variables, so can look a little matt looking from a distance, and again really sparkles in the sun and gives a fresh clean look.

I feel this is probably one of the best colours i've seen on Audi's now, and i may even select it again in 3 years.

The end of the day, if you plan to change your car often, then it won't hurt to change the colour too, and probably by then these colours would of been changed for Spring white, and Winter grey.

I just ordered an A3 in Misano red, but the car I test drove was glacier white. Nearly made me change my mind. I will say, glacier white seems to have a hint of grey. So not only can you get white out of you system. You get the grey of your system out as well. Two birds with one stone.

If I were your age I would have gone for the Glacier White.

I set out to order Ibis White and found at point of order that was not available for the A3 and agonised like you between Glacier and Daytona but felt for someone closer to pensionable age than your mid teens felt the Glacier White was a bit to boy racer for me and a ****** to keep gleaming and after 3.5 years trying to keep a ohantom black A3 clean opted for the understated stealth of Daytona, which hopefully will be easier to keep clean.

Can't help much but the grey's were a colour I loved a few years ago. Kinda seen their days in my opinion as has white. The glacier white also is a fab choice for this car and I almost had it. It was a very close call. I then thought, I've seen umpteen dull audis on the road and transporters during my everyday use of the motorways (greys, blacks and whites). I went for brilliant red and this was because I wanted to be different plus Audi launched the new a3 in red all be it misano. You can't tell the difference unless you are up very close. So I went for the free colour and used the money on the advanced key. :)
As for white! Lovely colour, depends how long you keep the car as I foresee it going out of fashion very soon. Just my opinion though guys :)

Thank you for the responses keep them coming in!

The keeping clean don't bother me too much, it seems like both colors stand tall in their own right!

Stef, I'm going to have the car for two years and then will be changing it hopefully. In terms of the Daytona Grey being an S-line only colour, according to the polls conducted by this forum 23% (47) of new Audi A3 owners have it in Daytona Grey (S-line), with only 14% (28) in Glacier White, maybe if I opt for the Glacier White I'll be the very few that have it in the S-line?

I live around Heathrow and tbh I've hardly seen any new Audi A3's for that matter, two actually one in Brilliant Black and the other I think was Daytona Grey!...

Keep the views coming, with my psychological hat on I also think that whatever color car you have in your drive, you just have to accept it in the end and be happy with it!

Personally, I think the white is here to stay yet from the discussions I've had with various individuals and looking at the trends, I think maybe 2-3 more years and then we'll see a gradual decline.

Thank you for the responses keep them coming in!

The keeping clean don't bother me too much, it seems like both colors stand stall in their own right!

Stef, I'm going to have the car for two years and then will be changing it hopefully. In terms of the Daytona Grey being an S-line only colour, according to the polls conducted by this forum 23% (47) of new Audi A3 owners have it in Daytona Grey (S-line), with only 14% (28) in Glacier White, maybe if I opt for the Glacier White I'll be the very few that have it in the S-line?

I live around Heathrow and tbh I've hardly seen any new Audi A3's for that matter, two actually one in Brilliant Black and the other I think was Daytona Grey!...

Keep the views coming, with my psychological hat on I also think that whatever color car you have in your drive, you just have to accept it in the end and be happy with it!

Thinking about it further, and from reading the other responses on here, if I was only keeping the car for 2 years, and I was your age, then I would probably have been more tempted for the white... I think the white is better suited for a younger person, and even if it is only fashionable for a few years, if you are only keeping it for 2 years, then it doesn't really matter!

Grey's have been the most popular colour for many years I think now. The Daytona Grey, being an S-Line only colour was always going to be popular, but if you want to stand out from the crowd, go for the white. The car stands out itself anyway, whatever colour it's in, just because it's a new model, but you'll be happy whatever colour you go for!

Personally, I'm pleased I went for Daytona Grey. I haven't seen another one on the road yet, but I would have been equally happy with white!

That's what a lot of people have been saying about the Glacier White it being more suited to a younger person, like I said my thinking is that the grey can come a little later in life. For now maybe the Glacier White will be the better option and it's only for two years!

Keep the views coming!

Ok so after reading my personality profile in the first post, please fellow Audi A3 owners and will be owners which color!

Glacier White or Daytona Grey!

Extended views appreciated.

Thanks,

So you spoke personally to the A3's designer??? And he said go for Glacier White, and you're still not sure??? How much more convincing do you need? I assume it also takes you an hour each morning just to decide what pants to put on! :think:

Reactions: SportbackStu
I've gone for Misano Red, but I know is not for everyone, I was not expecting to but I absolutely loved glacier white when you see it in the flesh it's better than In photos, Daytona grey is a cracking colour, but is a very subtle colour and I loved it but blended it a little too much compared the the glacier white (and misano red) which show off the new shape better for me.

Hahahaha yes I am a very indecisive individual, it's quite messed up! I've ate so many peoples heads this week, so I thought it would post on here.

In end I might just go for the Glacier White, I've also heard that there's a hint of blue bla bla is this even true or just rumours?

Keep the views coming please!

Thanks,

Glacier white has a hint (very very slightly) grey / metallic compare to old ibis white which was pure white and Amalfi which is creamy ( slight hint of yellow) but when not next to pure white the hint doesn't really show. It looks especially good with tinted windows and pano roof if budget allows for.

My spec will be hopefully the following:

Audi A3 2.0TDi S Line 3dr
Glacier White or Daytona Grey
Elec Adj / heated/folding door Mirrors
Sports Suspension
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
SD Card Navigation System
Comfort Pack
Interior Light Pack

It comes in at £395 a month with company contribution of £252.80, meaning only £142.20 out of my pocket a month!

Thanks,

Please please please some more views on which colour time is ticking for me and I would love people's choice for moi! :D

It don't LOL a lot of people have the S-line in Daytona Grey, so now I'm thinking let me be the very few that have it in Glacier White?!

Reactions: Fragup
Any more people viewing this forum and this post please state your views!

Ok, i know you want a choice of either the white or the daytona grey, i like them both, its no secret, i like the red, but i really really like the scuba blue, have you considered that? :) x

In the post ur pics sticky I was convinced the user chriSTi had paid extra to get Suzuka grey after I seen his pics.
It was glacier white but I can Deffo see what someone else mentioned above, that it has a grey tint through it.
Anyways it looks awesome and Deffo the colour for me :)
+1 glacier white ;)

Daytona for me - it pops like nothing else under the sun !

I was parked next to a Glacier last week in direct sunlight and although it does have a metallic tint you have to really look to see it. Anyone not in the know would think there's another white Audi. Most my complimentary comments have been about the colour.

My opinion, but I think that the S-line kit stands out more in white and the bodywork lines look amazing in Daytona.

That said, if I buy a cabby it will have to be Brilliant Black (proper black !). I had an A4 cabby in black with black/white leather and it looked fantastic with the aluminium detailing.

like snakehips, I've gone for the shiraz red.. felt that there was too many grey/black/white audis around.. too businessy (is that a word..) Wanted something a bit different.

Personally thought I'd go with the white, I did seriously consider it, but then I thought I'd constantly be cleaning the car:think:, so I wanted something which wouldnt show the dirt as much. Your choice in the end however!

Osman7, white Audi and nice views.

TDI-line, looks terrific - loving the Quattro badge like.

Thanks it does look good in the Glacier White! Ahh, everyone has a different preference when it comes to colour, it seems the individuals who are bored of the neutral colours have just opted for the red! Very daring indeed.

Anyone who's seen both side by side?

Osman7, as per my previous post side by side Daytona offers more bang for your buck. That said, I do think that Glacier looks more sporty somehow. Especially with that Quattro badge. Reminds me of the A1 Quattro LE. It's of the moment. Daytona is more classy though !. Personal choice m8.

Why not push the boat out and go "Exclusive" - I would love to see a Solar Orange or Imola Yellow out there !

Haha, yeah I think it's personal choice.

I think the conclusion I've made is that they're both amazing colors in their own right. The car looks stunning in either, me being 24 I think that I'll go for the Glacier White purely based on the rationale that after two years I can get something more understated like the Daytona Grey. I might as well make the most of being 24 by having a car that optically will stand out more and maybe work a treat with the ladies?

What do you all think?

Thanks for everyone's help this evening, not always easy on a Sunday but well appreciated.

Still need the final nudge though AHHHH!