iPhone 5 adapter with mmi

chrisinns17

Reaction score
Has anyone got a iPhone 5 working with there new a3 ? I was told u need a 30 pin to lightning adapter ... Has anyone got one and can confirm all works okay and charges there iPhone ? Will it play music ?

Official one from apple is £25, non official from eBay £2

Using the red collar cable with the adapter it does show artwork and full functionality.

Reactions: Dan76
I use the AMI-to-micro-USB cable plus the micro-USB-to-Lightning adapter, it's very compact because the cable is very short and the adapter is tiny, so it takes up very little space in the centre console.

https://merchandise.audi.co.uk/?page=shop&pid=5561

Lightning to Micro USB Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

I use it only to charge the phone (for music I use the SD card) so I can't tell you whether it plays music through it. :)

So for the grand price of those 2 little products you get charging capability? Which for me was the only big selling point of the phone box option!

So for the grand price of those 2 little products you get charging capability? Which for me was the only big selling point of the phone box option!

To clarify and avoid giving bad and costly advice, by using the AMI->MicroUSB cable (around
€33) and MicroUsb->Lightning adapter (around €20), you can charge your iPhone 5 but not play music from it.

It just shows "not connected" in the MMI->Media->Source screen. I presume that by using AMI->MicroUSB cable, MMI assumes a USB storage is connected, not an iPod-compatible device, which kind of makes sense.

I play my music from SD card only, so this is a perfect solution. :)

IMG 8152IMG 8153

To clarify and avoid giving bad and costly advice, by using the AMI->MicroUSB cable (around
€33) and MicroUsb->Lightning adapter (around €20), you can charge your iPhone 5 but not play music from it.

It just shows "not connected" in the MMI->Media->Source screen. I presume that by using AMI->MicroUSB cable, MMI assumes a USB storage is connected, not an iPod-compatible device, which kind of makes sense.

I play my music from SD card only, so this is a perfect solution. :)

View attachment 20657View attachment 20658

Right, but can you connect the phone to the car via Bluetooth to allow you to call out and receive calls via the car whilst its connected via the cable?

Right, but can you connect the phone to the car via Bluetooth to allow you to call out and receive calls via the car whilst its connected via the cable?

Of course! While your iPhone 5 is being charged with this cable and adapter, you can make and receive calls via Bluetooth as usual.

Just buy a 30pin to Lightning adapter from apple. You can charge and play music/do whatever you like as you would expect. Ive had no problems using my iphone 5 with this method. £25.

I have the red and blue cables and i got a cheap adapter from ebay and i haven't been able to get my iphone 5 working at all using AMI. It will work through bluetooth but i cant choose tracks on the MMi! I have got an old ipod nano working with the blue cable however. Shall i try an official apple adapter?

Has anyone heard anything about when the proper AMI to Lightning cable will come out? Both the A3 and the iPhone 5 have been around for a year or so now, so I'm surprised it's not already with us.

There's no reason they couldn't make one just with the same pin arrangement as the standard cable + adapter, but does that give you all the functionality? Perhaps the AMI doesn't support the full lightning functionality or something - remember AMI is a fixed and defined interface, it doesn't follow that they'll definitely be able to make an adapter for every type of connector that apple decide to bring out.

I have the red and blue cables and i got a cheap adapter from ebay and i haven't been able to get my iphone 5 working at all using AMI. It will work through bluetooth but i cant choose tracks on the MMi! I have got an old ipod nano working with the blue cable however. Shall i try an official apple adapter?

Worth a try, mine is the official one so maybe that is the problem

The "lightning adapter" and all lightning cables have a chip built inside them to assign the correct pins and how they are used. So it may well be because it is an eBay special that you are using. My official one works fine ;)

It maybe because of the chip that Audi have not yet released an AMI cable? Apple released to chips to 3rd party manufactures about 6 months ago so this is prob the reason for the delay?

Reactions: MouseGB
it doesn't follow that they'll definitely be able to make an adapter for every type of connector that apple decide to bring out.

Ha ha jumping on the lightning bashing bandwagon there Chris ;) lol

As annoying that it is apple haven't changed their connector in 10 years so the old 30 pin plug has had a good run, the lightning connector is a great concept and hopefully it won't change for another 10 years ;)

Maybe Apple won't let Audi release a cable unless Audi put that siri eyes-free nonsense into their cars? :p

Maybe Apple won't let Audi release a cable unless Audi put that siri eyes-free nonsense into their cars? :p

Ha ha I would love it if they did! A software update to use Siri with the star button on the steering wheel :D the only time I ever use Siri is while driving! Ask it to read text messages to me or dictate a message and send it. Other than that I only ask it "where can I hide a dead body" just to make my friends laugh lol ;)

Audi connect does reading and dictating messages :p

It's just the Apple way though to try and force manufacturers to support theirs and only their way of doing things - no wonder not many have got on board. The proper way would have been to create a standard that all smartphones / devices that can act on voice input can use, perhaps a bluetooth profile or something, so that anyone could take advantage. I'm glad they weren't successful with it personally, I'll own an Apple product when hell freezes over :p

I work for a mobile phone retailer, I'm a software engineer, I've had plenty of using them before for testing and other things, I definitely don't want one :p

I work for a mobile phone retailer, I'm a software engineer, I've had plenty of using them before for testing and other things, I definitely don't want one :p

Ha ha Thats from the horses mouth ;) you sound like my brother though, he doesn't like them because he can't "customise" them. I think that's why I do like them though, they just work lol

Ah yes, the ever popular myth they like to spread :p Seen just as many people have problems with them as with any other phone. The main problem I have with them is that it just isn't innovative, iPhones are a long way behind the rest of the industry really. The first iPhone didn't support MMS or copy and paste for example, something that had been in other phones for years. They only starting supporting multi tasking pretty recently, and now the latest Samsungs have full window support, really impressive stuff - especially for multi-tasking. I can put 2 apps side by side on my phone for example, swap out the phone dialler, keyboard, messages apps for my own preferred ones if I want, even the launcher on my phone is a third party one that I can customise exactly how I like. Widgets too - surpsied iPhones still don't support them... and iPhones screens are just far too small now compared to competitors. I have a Note II with a 5.5" screen and would never ever look back. And yes it does fit in my pocket

Anyway, enough ranting, you get the idea - I don't like Apple :D

Haha yes I get the idea ;) I agree that apple have been lacking on the innovation front recently, I used to change my phone every year and have had both windows phones and android phones, I liked them because of how customisable they could be. Then got plain frustrated with downloading apps that didn't work.
I resisted getting an iPhone until the iPhone 4 came out because of the lack of multi tasking, no copy paste, no front camera etc.
But next time I change I will think twice unless they bring out something really exciting.
I do know they are testing larger screens at the moment though. ;)

Thanks just bought an adapter and will give that a try. As for the iPhone argument i have had 3 now 4, 4s and 5. And i have found that they are getting worse. The 4s was the best one i had in terms of speed of the phone, battery life. I hate the bigger screen. If i wanted a tablet i would have bought one. I like to be able to use my pockets not have to carry a bag around.

I've been using one since i received my car in april, however its hit and miss! it will connect fine then randomly when you get in the car and start the engine the MMI wont recognise it until you unplug it and plug it in :( i even bought the wife a new 5th generation ipod thinking that is was an issue with the iphone 5 :(

hoping audi fix this soon..

If your phone is connected by Bluetooth then just press the home button on your phone to activate Siri or voice control. It comes over the car speakers. Who needs those expensive adapters?

I've been using one since i received my car in april, however its hit and miss! it will connect fine then randomly when you get in the car and start the engine the MMI wont recognise it until you unplug it and plug it in :( i even bought the wife a new 5th generation ipod thinking that is was an issue with the iphone 5 :(

hoping audi fix this soon..

I found this on my iPhone 5 with the adaptor when I first got the car. But then I realised because of the length of the phone with the adaptor doesn't fit cleanly in the arm rest it would break contact occasionally, but if I turned it around so that the connector was facing the front it works fine ;)

If your phone is connected by Bluetooth then just press the home button on your phone to activate Siri or voice control. It comes over the car speakers. Who needs those expensive adapters?

Yeah that's a good plan but you don't get full control of your music library do you?

Thats what i thought. I was under the impression i could use the mmi wheel to scroll through artists and see the album artwork.

Bluetooth will show Track, Album, and Artwork, but not track listing, you can only change forward and back 1 track. Full control is only available directly on the iPhone ;)

Just picked up my lovely A3 Sportback, which arrived 2 weeks earlier than expected! :) :)

Ive tried the 30pin to lightning block adaptor (which I bought especially), but that doesn't seem to work - keeps disconnecting the music content through to the MMI every half second, and reconnecting.

Ive tried the position the phone sits in the phone box, but doesn't seem to make an difference. I don't think the issue is with the AMI cable itself, as ive just tried it on a iphone 4 (30 pin) which seems to work fine.

Does anyone have experience of the cable version adaptor working better?

Thanks
Chrissywissy

I want to fit a cradle, which I already have and a Brodit dash mount ready to go. My question is... Doesn't the USB cable fit into adapter cable and work? As a gadget freak I so want this to work but when I upgrade to the 5s I'm seriously thinking of fitting an MMC card in the glovebox and getting the artwork working.

Just picked up my lovely A3 Sportback, which arrived 2 weeks earlier than expected! :) :)

Ive tried the 30pin to lightning block adaptor (which I bought especially), but that doesn't seem to work - keeps disconnecting the music content through to the MMI every half second, and reconnecting.

Ive tried the position the phone sits in the phone box, but doesn't seem to make an difference. I don't think the issue is with the AMI cable itself, as ive just tried it on a iphone 4 (30 pin) which seems to work fine.

Does anyone have experience of the cable version adaptor working better?

Thanks
Chrissywissy

Is it an original apple adaptor or made by a 3rd party?

I want to fit a cradle, which I already have and a Brodit dash mount ready to go. My question is... Doesn't the USB cable fit into adapter cable and work? As a gadget freak I so want this to work but when I upgrade to the 5s I'm seriously thinking of fitting an MMC card in the glovebox and getting the artwork working.

Are you talking about using the AMI-USB cable then plugging the USB-Lightning charge cable (that came with the phone)?

This is a very good question, and a very good idea! Not entirely convinced it will work though? The MMI would still need the drivers to connect and operate the iPhone. I should think it only has drivers built in to run USB storage devices.

However the 30 pin AMI cable can run an iPhone 5 because the drivers are cleverly built into the adapter so it can be used with a standard 30 pin device. It's because of this it's hit and miss if a cheap aftermarket lightning adaptor will work or not. Most of the cheap ones are hard wired inside to just supply power to charge the phone.

Hope that makes sense :)